Funeral Reunion

Gun N' Roses

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the two were having an affair? The thought did cross my mind. Regardless of what Adler implies, accepting the McCoy version of events you are still left wondering what Erin was doing at Steven's. In a way, the Adler version, of the McCoys taking a drugged-up Erin to his house, makes more sense.

What? Why are you assuming from what's been posted they were having an affair? And it's perfectly plausible, and probable in this case, that Erin was friends with McCoy's wife thus explaining her being there.

You misunderstand me. Allow me to explain clearly...

Angela McCoy's version of events (the version Axl believed)...

Angela and Andy arrive at Adler's house. Upon entering (presumably the door was open) they find a speedballing Erin, comatosed and blue in the face, on the floor. Steven is also present in the house.

Adler's version...

Adler is in his house alone. McCoy's wife Angela knocks at the door dragging along an already intoxicated (via Valium) Erin.

To accept the first version as true, we have to ponder on what Erin Everely was doing with the ex-drummer (i.e. now Axl's enemy) of Guns N' Roses alone? In my opinion, the lack of clarity here slightly supports Adler's version of events. It is a hole in the story, or certainly something to query.

Edited by DieselDaisy

You misunderstand me. Allow me to explain clearly...

Angela McCoy's version of events (the version Axl believed)...

Angela and Andy arrive at Adler's house. Upon entering (presumably the door was open) they find a speedballing Erin, comatosed and blue in the face, on the floor. Steven is also present in the house.

Adler's version...

Adler is in his house alone. McCoy's wife Angela knocks at the door dragging along an already intoxicated (via Valium) Erin.

To accept the first version as true, we have to ponder on what Erin Everely was doing with the ex-drummer (i.e. now Axl's enemy) of Guns N' Roses alone? In my opinion, the lack of clarity here slightly supports Adler's version of events. It is a hole in the story, or certainly something to query.

I think the Erin overdose happened before Steven was sacked, though. So he wasn't yet "Axl's enemy."

Steven was fired in July '90. Axl and Erin broke up in November '90. I mean, I suppose it's possible...But from everything I'd read, it happened before he was fired, and it was probably one of many factors that led to his firing (the other factors being Izzy, Slash and Duff had washed their hands of him, his refusal to abstain from drugs after he'd been given the contract, the inability to play the UYI material properly and his refusal to do it the way the band wanted, the 90 takes of Civil War, etc). Axl wouldn't have been at the hospital with Erin by her bedside if it was after they broke up, given that she was afraid of him to the point that she moved and changed her phone number to keep under his radar.

Edited by Vincent Vega

After they let me go from GN'R, Andy was living up the street from me. We started writing together. He would come down and I would say, 'Do not bring that goofy wife of yours!' I'd be in the front yard and I'd see him up the hill and I'd flip him off because he was bringing her. One afternoon we were playing and I had a locked gate. The wife and Erin Everly come over. Axl and Erin had got in a fight. That's what really did it. This girl gave her valium and some other stuff and kept telling me to give her heroin.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?action=printpage;topic=18521.0

Miser is right. Steven hadn't been fired at the time of Erin's overdose.

It does make one wonder--how long BEFORE Adler's departure was Erin's overdose?

I mean as I said, there were plenty of factors in Steven's firing, and from all accounts, Axl was actually the most patient with him out of the band because he didn't have to deal with Steven on a daily basis like the other guys did--but one has to wonder if Erin overdosing was the straw that broke the camel's back and directly led to his firing, or was the factor that made Axl wash his hands of him as well?

I mean I imagine it would have been VERY awkward to say the least, him being in the band after he almost (unwittingly) killed Axl's wife. We know how unforgiving Axl is, and I really doubt he was all sweetness and understanding, and I can't see him not holding a grudge at the time. And from all accounts, Axl and Steven never really got along to begin with.

While a lot of things worked to contrive Steven's departure from the band, I can't help but wonder if Erin's overdose hastened his being fired?

It'd just be interesting if it could ever be determined how close the events were in terms of chronology.

After they let me go from GN'R, Andy was living up the street from me. We started writing together. He would come down and I would say, 'Do not bring that goofy wife of yours!' I'd be in the front yard and I'd see him up the hill and I'd flip him off because he was bringing her. One afternoon we were playing and I had a locked gate. The wife and Erin Everly come over. Axl and Erin had got in a fight. That's what really did it. This girl gave her valium and some other stuff and kept telling me to give her heroin.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?action=printpage;topic=18521.0

I honestly don't believe Steven's timeline.

Miser, I think it played a factor definitely, but at the same time Axl 'protected' Steven from Erin's family.

You can't really trust Adler's memory here. He was smacked and cracked out of his mind for most of the '90s and probably doing other drugs too. Out of all the band members I would say he makes for the most unreliable narrator of all of them. If you ever read Erin's story she gave in '94, about Axl's abuse, she mentions how she never saw Axl again outside of court after they broke up, and she moved and changed her phone number to get away from him. Axl in his account said he was at Erin's bedside in the hospital and had to stop her family from hurting Steven or worse. I doubt he would've even been allowed near her bedside after they broke up, especially considering how afraid of him she was.

Axl and Erin were wed in April 1990. April 28th 1990 I believe. Axl filed for divorce a month later, in May '90. Then they got back together only to break up for good in November. Steven was fired in July 1990. If I had to guess when this happened, it probably happened sometime between their wedding and Steven's firing--sometime between April and July 1990. Probably in the period where they were fighting, that first month of marriage, when Axl wanted a divorce.

Miser, I think it played a factor definitely, but at the same time Axl 'protected' Steven from Erin's family.

See, I really can't trust that--Axl protecting him. I mean I'm sure he protected him from being murdered yes or getting the shit kicked out of him yes. But Axl was a guy who'd kick Steven in the balls just for kicks and according to pretty much everybody, he had very little tolerance for Steven from the beginning.

I really, really can't picture Axl tolerating his presence in the band after that happened. Even if Axl wasn't an asshole, just think of how awkward it would be anyway within any other band. Now take that awkwardness and add in Axl's already existing dislike for Steven AND his famous ability to store up hate and hold on to a grudge.

The others were exasperated and pretty much done with Steven already as it was from dealing with him daily, and I think Axl might've used their feelings of frustration to fully push Steven out the door after what happened with Erin. Like, after that, used their anger at him and rallied them behind the idea of fucking firing him. Whereas before, it seems he was content to let the others deal with him and to wait it out, see if he'd clean up.

I think it was a bigger factor than most think. Probably one of the most immediate factors that pushed Axl from defending him in the band, if he had been. Or pushed Axl into agreeing that he had to go.

For lack of other evidence I am going have to believe Adler and place the incident after his sacking. The whole point about, jamming with McCoy, was because Adler was in effect, 'bandless.' I do not see any reason why Adler would change the date. Also, I couldn't imagine Axl and Adler working together on 'Civil War' and playing Farm Aid, Axl believing his band mate had shot up his fiance with drugs and possibly, sexually molested her!

Edited by DieselDaisy

For lack of other evidence I am going have to believe Adler and place the incident after his sacking. The whole point about, jamming with McCoy, was because Adler was in effect, 'bandless.' I do not see any reason why Adler would change the date. Also, I couldn't imagine Axl and Adler working together on 'Civil War' and playing Farm Aid, Axl believing his band mate had shot up his fiance with drugs and possibly, sexually molested her!

Steven was fired twice--the first time around February/March 1990. The band tried replacing him with Adam Maples and other drummers, then Steven turned around and seemed to clean up and the band had him sign a contract wherein he'd be fined each time he was seen to be high, and fired if he was seen to be high three times. This was in late March. I would think it's possible then that Adler was working with McCoy around the time he was fired for the first time--so it could be that Erin O'Ded around February/March 1990. Before Steven was permanently fired in July.

It is possible but that scenario would still entail, Axl agreeing to appear live on stage with the guy who shot up his fiance on April 7th!!

They were probably already booked by March and couldn't get anyone else last minute. It was might've been either do the show with Steven or not do it.

They had no problems replacing Adler when he broke his hand.

This is W. Axl Rose we are talking about, a guy who could have an argument with a dish cloth, a guy who can go into a rage for reasons known only to himself. If Axl truly believed Adler did those things to Erin, I cannot envision him ever agreeing to stepping on the same stage with the guy.

Edited by DieselDaisy

They had no problems replacing Adler when he broke his hand.

This is W. Axl Rose we are talking about, a guy who could have an argument with a dish cloth, a guy who can go into a rage for reasons known only to himself. If Axl truly believed Adler did those things to Erin, I cannot envision him ever agreeing to stepping on the same stage with the guy.

Then we have a third window of time it could've occurred in: Between July 1990 (Steven's firing) and November 1990 (Axl and Erin break up).

It's either one of these three: February-April 1990; April-July 1990; or July-November 1990.

Either way it occurred in 1990.

I would outrule February-April. If you are correct and it occured before the sacking (which I am not completely ruling out) it had to have happened after Farm Aid as I cannot entertain the thought of Axl agreeing to play with Adler again. Remember, Axl threatened to kill Adler! (It would help by the way if we knew the exact dates they were recording Civil War.)

So that gives us, April 8th-July 10th 1990 (day before the official annoucement of Adler's sacking). The plausible scenario is, towards the end of that period, i.e. that was the 'final straw'.

I still prefer a post sacking date because of that statement by Steven and the fact he was jamming with McCoy at the time.

If Steven Adler died, do you think all the original GnR members would show up to his funeral? Late perhaps? In Axl's case.

I think the best chance of a reunion would be Adler's death. Matt could throw an after funeral bbq where Axl and Slash could bond over some ribs. I wonder who can eat more. Maybe they could throw some Bumblefoot hot sauce on the food.

Axl also said he forgave Steven.

Stated circa two years later in a RS (I think) interview. If the incident had occured Jan-March, it had just happened. Axl must have had saint-like qualities of forgiveness to re-admit Adler so soon, enough to play on the same stage again! I am sorry but I do not buy it.

Friends jam, it's not unheard of.

They were writing new songs for a project of some sort which never materialised because of Adler's drugs - remember, McCoy was also drifting during this period, right before he formed Shooting Gallery.