1986/87 version of Don't Cry

axlinkafayette

Some of you might remember that GNR(Axl) was sued in the late 90's early 2000's by an Indiana preacher for supposedly lifting this song. It was written supposedly and recorded on a spiritual album in the late 70's early 80's . I remember there was a huge thread on this topic in the very early days of this forum -back in 2001 or so. The guy came forward saying that he didnt listen to rock music so he had no idea until someone pointed out that his song and GNR's song sounded and had very similar lyrics . Axl and Izzy being from Indiana with Axls religious background was suspect. People came out swinging at the alternative version lyrics as being an attempt to cover up the fact that the material wasnt authentic Guns and Roses written . There was a topic where the other band members had no idea and had thought that it was theirs and theirs alone. It was one of the myriad of lawsuits that GNR /Axl was facing in the 93-2008 era.

Does anybody here remember that or would know what ever became of that?

Some of you might remember that GNR(Axl) was sued in the late 90's early 2000's by an Indiana preacher for supposedly lifting this song. It was written supposedly and recorded on a spiritual album in the late 70's early 80's . I remember there was a huge thread on this topic in the very early days of this forum -back in 2001 or so. The guy came forward saying that he didnt listen to rock music so he had no idea until someone pointed out that his song and GNR's song sounded and had very similar lyrics . Axl and Izzy being from Indiana with Axls religious background was suspect. People came out swinging at the alternative version lyrics as being an attempt to cover up the fact that the material wasnt authentic Guns and Roses written . There was a topic where the other band members had no idea and had thought that it was theirs and theirs alone. It was one of the myriad of lawsuits that GNR /Axl was facing in the 93-2008 era.

Does anybody here remember that or would know what ever became of that?

Although I don't know what happened, I do remember that thread. I'm one of the originals to register here and don't post much, but I constantly read. Funny though, that was the one and only time I ever heard about the Don't Cry being a rip-off, probably crap.

I like it more than the UYIs versions. Very raw and straightforwad.

this

For those who hear this version first i highly recommended this

Imo, this is one of the best Don't Cry ever. Axl was on totally top form on this

The concert at The Marquee is still unsurpassed as the best GN'R show ever, IMO.

Not the best ever but one of the best for sure. Real Guns N' Roses were damn fuckin' awesome.

For whoever said it, I absolutely hear the Hanoi Rocks influence on the early version of "Don't Cry."

And also, I'd like to hear more about this lawsuit.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1122244/songwriter-sues-guns-n-roses-over-dont-cry.jhtml

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=40941.0

I still can't find an example of the supposed original, hard to make a comparison without it!