1986/87 version of Don't Cry

axlinkafayette

I've always loved this version, the cheesy spoken word part makes it sound more dated to me, but I could care less, it's great. Wish Axl could still sing in that register. But, I still prefer the Illusions version. Sounds fuller, and Shannon Hoon's backing vocals took it to another level.

I've always loved this version, the cheesy spoken word part makes it sound more dated to me, but I could care less, it's great. Wish Axl could still sing in that register. But, I still prefer the Illusions version. Sounds fuller, and Shannon Hoon's backing vocals took it to another level.

I bet those cheesy spoken words style were inspired by Hanoi Rock, Axl was a huge fan of them

Some of you might remember that GNR(Axl) was sued in the late 90's early 2000's by an Indiana preacher for supposedly lifting this song. It was written supposedly and recorded on a spiritual album in the late 70's early 80's . I remember there was a huge thread on this topic in the very early days of this forum -back in 2001 or so. The guy came forward saying that he didnt listen to rock music so he had no idea until someone pointed out that his song and GNR's song sounded and had very similar lyrics . Axl and Izzy being from Indiana with Axls religious background was suspect. People came out swinging at the alternative version lyrics as being an attempt to cover up the fact that the material wasnt authentic Guns and Roses written . There was a topic where the other band members had no idea and had thought that it was theirs and theirs alone. It was one of the myriad of lawsuits that GNR /Axl was facing in the 93-2008 era.

Does anybody here remember that or would know what ever became of that?

I've always liked the appetite era version way more then the illusions. As others have said it's a lot more raw and not as bloated as the illusions studio version, also the lack of Shannon Hoon is a big bonus.

Just out of curiosity, and I realize its a completely a personal prefrance. But why is the lack of Shannon Hoon a "big bonus" on the 80's version? Do you just not care for Hoon? The guy was a great vocalist, in my opinion. And it's Hoon hitting all the high parts in the back ground. With the way they went with the song it would have been flat, for me without Shannon Hoon. I think he helped bring the song to another level with his tone. And I've never read about any member of GNR complaining about his addition to thebsong, only good things to say as far as I have read. I was just curious as I've never heard anyone make it sound as if Hoon's vocals are what made the Illusions version bad.

I've always liked the appetite era version way more then the illusions. As others have said it's a lot more raw and not as bloated as the illusions studio version, also the lack of Shannon Hoon is a big bonus.

Just out of curiosity, and I realize its a completely a personal prefrance. But why is the lack of Shannon Hoon a "big bonus" on the 80's version? Do you just not care for Hoon? The guy was a great vocalist, in my opinion. And it's Hoon hitting all the high parts in the back ground. With the way they went with the song it would have been flat, for me without Shannon Hoon. I think he helped bring the song to another level with his tone. And I've never read about any member of GNR complaining about his addition to thebsong, only good things to say as far as I have read. I was just curious as I've never heard anyone make it sound as if Hoon's vocals are what made the Illusions version bad.

Because Don't cry, for me, always worked way better as a very raw stripped down song with only Axl singing and for me those versions convey much more emotion to me then the illusions version ever did. As for Shannon Hoons voice, it's not that i hate it, it's more so that it imo doesn't blend well at all with Axl's on the studio versions and at some points becomes to dominant which just ruins the song for me, but that's just my opinion of course i respect that others have a different view and like his voice on the song.

You're right though, because you've never heard any member of GNR complain about his addition to the song i should totally just embrace it.

Edited by nightrain86

I like it more than the UYIs versions. Very raw and straightforwad.

this

For those who hear this version first i highly recommended this

Imo, this is one of the best Don't Cry ever. Axl was on totally top form on this

The concert at The Marquee is still unsurpassed as the best GN'R show ever, IMO.

I like it more than the UYIs versions. Very raw and straightforwad.

this

For those who hear this version first i highly recommended this

Imo, this is one of the best Don't Cry ever. Axl was on totally top form on this

The concert at The Marquee is still unsurpassed as the best GN'R show ever, IMO.

I disagree, it's definitely on top20, but i'm sure the early club days (85-87) contains their best performances (even better than this show)

Hell i consider 1988 as the best year for GNR

The UYI tour is a completely different scenario

Edited by Crash Diet