Can a song that was yours and a past lovers ever mean something with someone else?

Vincent Vega

You know how couples have a "song" sometimes?

In you guys experiences, if a couple has a song and then they break up...Can that song ever be truly shared with another partner, and become their song with you? I ask because one of my favorite songs in the world is "Angel Baby" by Rosie & The Originals, it's just one of the most raw, truest love songs ever IMO but it was one of mine and my ex's songs...and while I associate it with her...I wonder if it'd be just to ever associate it with someone else in the future....

You know how couples have a "song" sometimes?

In you guys experiences, if a couple has a song and then they break up...Can that song ever be truly shared with another partner, and become their song with you? I ask because one of my favorite songs in the world is "Angel Baby" by Rosie & The Originals, it's just one of the most raw, truest love songs ever IMO but it was one of mine and my ex's songs...and while I associate it with her...I wonder if it'd be just to ever associate it with someone else in the future....

Definitely can be shared to someone else. Follow your feelings.

And vice-versa to someone else like 'I'm sorry for you, not sorry for me'....

Actually I think this is a genuine question, and perhaps I wasn't around when he asked it last. Whatever...

In answer to the question: NO! Once you have an emotional association with a song, that is it. You can never hear it in the same way again. I'm often struck by how overwhelming the feeling can be when you hear a song that you haven't heard for ages, yet which was played a lot at a given point in time in your life, and how for a nanosecond you feel like you are right back at that moment in time. It's one of the most bizarre feelings you can have and has at times given me great pleasure and at times great despair.