Who is the more talented bassist, Duff McKagan or Tommy Stinson?

Guest NGOG

If it comes down to what Duff has accomplished for music history, I'm sure he'll be ranked higher than Stinson.

What has Duff accomplished, dude? Get real. He never changed anything in music history. He's not influential nor inventive. He's known and that's about it. Do you know The Replacements? Read a few stories about that band and educate yourself a bit more.

Oh, we've heard Slash live. Plenty. I've never heard his guitar sing though, not even once.

You sound very bitter and Anti-GNR. Which band has more memorable basslines, GNR or Replacements? Please post examples of great Replacements' basslines and how superior they are to Duff's. Thanks.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On one hand we've got It's So Easy and on the other we've got Riad N' The Bedouins. I think I'm going to have to go with Duff. Tommy Stinson does a good job of playing an alcoholic bass player but has he ever had a ruptured pancreas? Duff is the king of beers and king of GNR bass players. Tommy Stinson is just another replacement.

If it comes down to what Duff has accomplished for music history, I'm sure he'll be ranked higher than Stinson.

What has Duff accomplished, dude? Get real. He never changed anything in music history. He's not influential nor inventive. He's known and that's about it. Do you know The Replacements? Read a few stories about that band and educate yourself a bit more.

Oh, we've heard Slash live. Plenty. I've never heard his guitar sing though, not even once.

Yes, I like the Replacements, and yes, they were very influential. But you're comparing whole bands to one aspect. We're talking solely about bassists.

And in that turn, it's not like Tommy reinvented the wheel. Don't get me wrong, neither Tommy and Duff are hugely inspirational bassists. But Duff has created many standout bass lines on various songs. With Tommy, I don't hear that many lines that stick out.

In terms of technical ability, I don't see how they're far apart at all.

More talented? I don't know.

But I like Duff a whole lot more. He is more open to his fans, created some of the best solo projects (Loaded is pretty good) and would still be a great fit for GnR.

I love both but Id rather Tommys blues & country stile. Duff tends to go more punk! Anyway this helped classic GNR to sound that raw so

very thankful for him.

Lol, I actually prefer the more raw and punkish sound of Duff. He has brought that to the original GnR and it made a huge difference.

There were so many bands like Tesla, LA Guns etc that had a similar sound, but GnR was in your face. It was raw. We have two people to thank for that impact: Duff (soundwise) and Axl (persona).

Izzy made it more rock and roll, Slash more bluesy. But a lot of bands had that. Although I still feel Izzy made more of an impact than Slash soundwise.

GnR had everything in one package.

Combine Izzy, Axl and Duff and you get that punkish rock and roll feel GnR once had. It was the core of the band.

Edited by Lethalis

Well for one he's helped create Appetite and helped GNR become one of the biggest acts in the world at the time. I didn't said that he changed (anything in) music history BUT that his accomplishments as far as success (and talent playing a part in it) are concerned outrank anything Stinson can come up with.

Edited by Herr Bauz