Question about the books of the ex-members

Herr Bauz

Hi Marc,

I wonder if you've read some (or maybe even all) of the ex-members biographies (Slash, Duff, Steven). If so, which one do you prefer and why? Do you think, according to their authors individual point of view, each of them tell a 'true', authentic story? Or can you think of things and events which are taken out of proportion or being exaggerated in order to sell a few more copies? Do you feel that the biographies have been fair when it comes to judging and describing Axl and demise of the band?

Duff's is the best I couldn't put it down. Slash did ok but has mixed up some of the dates and events but all in all after all the drugs he did I guess its ok I didn't read all of it. I had trouble reading Steven's book because his story is too sad. If Axl put out a book you would see where he is coming from and understand why things are the way they are. It would probably help him get a lot of shit off he back.

Edited by recklessroad
I left out some words

Thanks for answering! :)

I guess as a GNR fan one would enjoy Slash's book the most as it consists a lot of things about his time in the band. Stevens book is ok too but at points it's just like watching an accident: It's horrible but you can't look away. It also leaves a lot of questions open and paints Steven solely as the victim of his drug abuse and all the shit that has happened to him. A tango takes two I guess.

Duff's book was, from an 'literate' point of view, the most interesting one as he managed to write a real autobiography about himself with Guns only being a part of it and not everything the book is about. And I think he also wrote it himself which adds a lot of bonus points!

Edited by Herr Bauz

I never bothered to read these books until recently. I'm reading Slash's book right now, I ordered Reckless Road on amazon and I think I'll buy Duff's book eventually. Good read so far, but I wonder if some things were modified just a little bit to make it more entertaining or to make Slash look a little better in certains situations... I'm just wondering, maybe it's exactly how Slash recall things. Pretty interesting nonetheless.

Just for the record...I have Reckless Road as well. My wife bought it for me on her iPad so I figure I also need such a little time-eater. It worked. Nevertheless as soon as I get back to LA I will try and get a real and signed copy at Canters.

Edited by Herr Bauz

Just for the record...I have Reckless Road as well. My wife bought it for me on her iPad so I figure I also need such a little time-eater. It worked. Nevertheless as soon as I get back to LA I will try and get a real and signed copy at Canters.

The Ipad one is cool because of the 17 video interviews but it is only half of the book. There are gigs and lots of photos and things missing and all the show text that was said between the songs at the gigs

The Ipad one is cool because of the 17 video interviews but it is only half of the book. There are gigs and lots of photos and things missing and all the show text that was said between the songs at the gigs

Solution: get both. That's what I did ;)