Axl Rose mention in ET magazine

Val22

I got the new ET magazine this week and of course there was a little Axl mention. There's also a picture of Axl wearing his red bandana with his Jesus Christ shirt and shorts with his red flannel shirt around his waste and a little stubble on his chin.

"Fergie names her baby Axl. Like his namesake, he probably will scream a lot, love boobs, and take forever to put out an album".

I doubt that Fergie named her baby boy after Axl, but I think it's cool that whoever does The Bullseye in ET thought to mention Axl Rose.

This week in the Dallas Morning News, the critic who saw The Cult concert also mentioned GNR and Axl.

He said that the Cult did all of one of their best albums, Electric or something, sorry not a big Cult fan, and he thought that was great. Then he mentioned how a week later Appetite For Destruction came out. Then he said something like while GNR fizzed out or something like that and Axl Rose lost his voice, The Cult are still going strong and the singer can still sing. lol I just love how this critic always seems to mention Axl no matter what band he reviews.

This is the same guy, Thor, who said Axl can't sing anymore, but then when he reviewed Slash's band, he said, he wished Slash and Axl would go to therapy so they could get back together. I think this guy has an Axl fixation.

Anyway, I just love it when someone mentions Axl Rose out of nowhere!

I got the new ET magazine this week and of course there was a little Axl mention. There's also a picture of Axl wearing his red bandana with his Jesus Christ shirt and shorts with his red flannel shirt around his waste and a little stubble on his chin.

"Fergie names her baby Axl. Like his namesake, he probably will scream a lot, love boobs, and take forever to put out an album".

I doubt that Fergie named her baby boy after Axl, but I think it's cool that whoever does The Bullseye in ET thought to mention Axl Rose.

This week in the Dallas Morning News, the critic who saw The Cult concert also mentioned GNR and Axl.

He said that the Cult did all of one of their best albums, Electric or something, sorry not a big Cult fan, and he thought that was great. Then he mentioned how a week later Appetite For Destruction came out. Then he said something like while GNR fizzed out or something like that and Axl Rose lost his voice, The Cult are still going strong and the singer can still sing. lol I just love how this critic always seems to mention Axl no matter what band he reviews.

This is the same guy, Thor, who said Axl can't sing anymore, but then when he reviewed Slash's band, he said, he wished Slash and Axl would go to therapy so they could get back together. I think this guy has an Axl fixation.

I'm a Cult fan but Ian's voice has been inconsistent live and there were reports of very erratic behaviour on this tour. I know a guy who saw them a month or two back and wrote up a review of the gig - he said it was horrible and that Astbury cut himself on stage and kept ranting about depressing stuff, and that his impression was he was mentally unwell.

Part of that may be their Doors thing. I mean, Astbury borrowed a lot of Morrison's brooding stage presence early on and even took Morrison's role when Krieger and Manzarek reformed the band. I'm a big fan of his and he's been more productive than Axl but I wouldn't really say he's a good example of someone whose voice is at its best. In studio he still manages well enough but he's lost a lot of range it seems.

His voice is really shot this whole gig for example:

EDIT: I chose that simply because I remembered watching it a couple years back and being disappointed by his voice, but interestingly enough the top comment on the video is "Guns N Roses wish they were this good." Weird! :lol: Sorry guys, that wasn't deliberate.

Also, I will say that anyone who's into GN'R and has never listened to The Cult much should give them a chance. I think they're one of the closest-sounding bands, they've covered a few genres (from psych rock to hard riff rock) but they've always had that same kind of bluesy vibe. I'm not quite as big a fan of the Cult as GN'R but Electric, Love and Sonic Temple are great records and it's nice to see them reuniting and still putting out solid albums (their last two are worth checking out for sure, some good stuff on there -- Holy Mountain is a standout track I can think of off-hand, it sounds like a Johnny Cash track but no one fucking knows about it!).

• Like 1

I remember when he toured with the Doors. Well, I hope he gets his shit together. He does have an amazing voice and a lot of fans are going out to see them this year.

I think there are so many amazing bands from the 80's and to see them continue to record and or tour is great for their fans.

I know I love seeing old and new bands live. So many great songs that make you think about where you were at those times and I love having such good memories through a song.

It's a shame when great singers/bands just get lost or lose their way sometimes. Maybe this tour will turn him around?

It's a shame when great singers/bands just get lost or lose their way sometimes. Maybe this tour will turn him around?

He may have just been having rough nights occasionally. I shouldn't have made it sound like he's always terrible, I just wouldn't necessarily choose him as the best example of a guy still in his prime, he's definitely had some gigs I've seen/read about where his voice was shot. At least he's still out there with his original bandmates giving the fans what they want, eh? Before the Cult reunited again I actually really wanted him to be the new vocalist for Velvet Revolver after Scott was fired (obviously that isn't going to happen now, too much time has passed and I doubt VR will ever reunite, but if there's downtime from Slash's solo work and the Cult stuff, I think he'd match their sound quite well).

BTW, for those who don't know, Matt Sorum played drums on the Cult's 2001 record.

I saw The Cult twice recently and Ian was one of the funniest motherfuckers out there. There was nothing depressing about it at all. He really got the crowd smiling and excited, and engaged with them all the time. The tickets were cheap too. Complete and total opposite of Axl. The whole band was awesome. He may not be able to sing like he used to be but he can work with what he has.

I saw The Cult twice recently and Ian was one of the funniest motherfuckers out there. There was nothing depressing about it at all. He really got the crowd smiling and excited, and engaged with them all the time. The tickets were cheap too. Complete and total opposite of Axl. The whole band was awesome. He may not be able to sing like he used to be but he can work with what he has.

Are you comparing live performance vs. live performance, or live performance vs. YouTube? As someone comparing only YouTube vs. YouTube, I can assure you wholeheartedly that they both suck major ass; but for some unknown reason, people that actually go to a show go full retard and see what they want to see. :shrugs:

I heard at The Cult show on the east coast, Ian took a swipe at Axl and/or GnR. Makes Ian look back. The word was his vibe was bad all night.

Basically Ian was doing everything right while Axl was doing everything wrong. I've only seen Axl on YouTube but I've stopped following him since RIR4. Ian adapted his voice to the songs, even Sweet Soul Sister. Axl just tries to do something he can't (or won't do) anymore and is just all around miserable. You got your money's worth watching The Cult. Only thing is that they went on late <_<.

I heard at The Cult show on the east coast, Ian took a swipe at Axl and/or GnR. Makes Ian look back. The word was his vibe was bad all night.

Which show was that?

...actually, from what I have read in multiple entertainment sources, yes, the name was inspired by one Axl Rose.

It was EW, as in Entertainment Weekly magazine, and the Dallas film critic said Axl lost his vocal range. Most, if not almost all, singers with a range like Axl's lose some of that range as they age. But, the way that critic stated it is a gross over-exaggeration IMO.

Ali

It was EW, as in Entertainment Weekly magazine, and the Dallas film critic said Axl lost his vocal range. Most, if not almost all, singers with a range like Axl's lose some of that range as they age. But, the way that critic stated it is a gross over-exaggeration IMO.

Ali

I agree because I was at both of those Dallas shows with my adult kids and I loved Axl's performance. My son did notice some vocal mishaps but all in all he did say Axl sounded awesome for the majority of the shows. I've seen GNR in Dallas in 2011 and in Vegas in 2012 and then again in Dallas this spring and I think the last time was the best performance Axl has done that I've seen. I wish I had seen GNR in the 80's and early 90's, but I had small kids then and my life was really full. lol anyway, I'm happy I finally got to see Axl even if it was 20 + years later.

Well, if Fergie did name her baby boy after Axl, very cool of her!

Edited by Val22