Axl behind the scenes Donnington 2006

gunnari

Was that the show where tommy had to beg the crowd to stop throwing puss bottles at them?

Yes.

Was that the show where tommy had to beg the crowd to stop throwing puss bottles at them?

Yes.

Is there a video of that or naw?

end of the Better video on first page

The crowd was very hostile at first and I think it pissed Axl off. They were throwing shit, booing, etc. I remember reading live accounts of it here, people were saying he disappeared off the stage for a while and rumour had it he was demanding to leave but Beta wouldn't let him (probably realizing how much liability it would cause). Eventually he went back on stage and just stood there for a few songs with a pissed-off look on his face, BUT his voice sounded amazing. Listen to "Better" from that gig, he's just standing there and not exhausting himself running around the stage, so his voice is terrifying.

Damn that voice is kickass with him just standing there

Personally I think his voice was awful, I like the rasp but not through every song like that. Maybe some of you like it but I prefer his voice in the earlier years & now to this constant screaming.

I really felt uncomfortable for the first part of this concert for the other members of the band with Axl's mood getting darker, it was just a mish mash of mishaps & the crowd booing didn't help. It was good to see he settled down & really started to enjoy himself for the last part - the crowd's hostility wasn't good either. Is this because it was a festival rather than a gnr crowd?

Thanks for the video.

I was at this gig...this was my first GN'R gig!

Just to clarify it was actually a minority in the crowd that were being hostile! Also I believe only the one bottle was actually thrown onto the stage...that being the one that hit Tommy sadly!

Tommy came back and graciously played on for us despite the prick who threw the bottle and the minority behaving like assholes!

Axl was unhappy at first mainly because of problems on stage and stuff I think(if you listen to that monitor mix you hear a lot of it...he gets angry with a few people who were obviously not setting things up right...he slipped because it was wet on part of the stage or something)!

Regardless it was a fucking brilliant show...Axl and the band were on fire! They also played a nice amount of tracks from Chinese...

At the end on the way back to the camp site a spoke to loads of people on the way and everyone was saying how great it was! I remember buying 3 shirts from the gig :D

• Like 1