2: It received no promotion from the record company

3: Myspace streaming/torrents

4: Slash wasn't on it so people didn't listen/care

5: The Best Buy deal hampered it

6: Nobody buys CD's anymore

7: There is a radio conspiracy against Axl Rose

8: The economy is to blame

9: The wind was blowing in the wrong direction

Does anyone else love reading all the theories put out there by NuGNR fans in an effort to explain the lack of success of Chinese Democracy? They just can't accept that the public rejected the album because it is average at best so instead they like to pin the blame on an assortment of other things.

Maybe we can gather all these theories here so we can read them all in one place. They are becoming more abundant and creative as the years go by. Very entertaining.

Maybe you kicked yourself in the face too many times, but as another poster already pointed out, the album went platinum in many countries all over the world. It sold between 3 million and 5 million copies before the price cut.

Interestingly, later in the thread, one of your people says "well, would it have done as well if he hadn't used the name?" You people need to make your mind up. Either stick with your original bullshit and say it was a failure and defend that premise, or admit it enjoyed moderate success that you think is attributed to the name. You can't have it both ways.

Bumblefoot's elephant noises are too intellectually challenging for Van Halen fans.

Chinese Democracy was meant for an audience of Kanye West and Lady Gaga fans.

Van Halen fans can listen to Chinese Democracy, but they can't hear Chinese Democracy.

So did you really PM Gunzen and say how amazing Chinese Democracy was, among other things?

Fuck, brainsaber taking care of business!

I think CD was moderately successful, but certainly a flop by gnr standards. And those are the standards it was measured against - as evidenced by the many, many manifestations of Axl's angst.

No not really... Hubba, as Facekicker said, read # 7

and what does a message to Gunzen have anything to do in this thread? Please explain how he's taking care of "business"

At first I thought you meant the radio conspiracy, I was really fucking confused! haha

OK, so post #7 shows everyone's in agreement about something. Cd was not a success in comparison to previous gnr material.

Unsurprisingly, this was for a number of reasons - time and trends had changed, music sales were not what they used to be, the release was chronically delayed and poorly supported, and...... axl was missing his primary collaborators, the men who, together with him, created a globally successful sound and band.

Everybody breathe.

Success or failure is always in the eye of the beholder. Those looking for reasons why CD was a success will find some. Those looking for why it was a failure will do the same.

I think people are missing the point here. This is not really about sales, though people did expect CD to sell more than it did, though obviously not as much as appetite or UYI.

The point is that as of today, out in the real world, CD did not make the impact that was expected of it. It fell short in that respect. Even Axl knows this.

The excuses trotted out by others in relation to why this is the case is comical. The lack of promotion one especially.

You'd want to have been living on Mars not to have known that CD was out when it was released. It was the most eagerly awaited album of all time and when it was released it was discussed all over TV,Radio and the internet. That it quickly fell out of the mainstream conversation is down to the fact that people, in general, didn't like it once they heard it. Promotion had nothing to do with it. Songs that people didn't take to did.

• Like 1

I think CD was moderately successful, but certainly a flop by gnr standards. And those are the standards it was measured against - as evidenced by the many, many manifestations of Axl's angst.

Yeah, these people like OP (who by the way, is an alt account of a banned user) get on such an autopilot, they don't have a cohesive collective argument. They just attack anything nuGuns on some weird, bizarre, delusional autopilot, while acting smug the whole time. It really is comical.

However, I think you hit the nail on the head as to the root of their shit-talking: Chinese Democracy was not as successful as previous Guns' efforts. Because of that, and because they don't approve of what Axl's done with the name, and what he's done with the sound, they do all they can to smear nuGuns and Chinese Democracy while dramatically acting disgruntled.

He's asking a question, you're the one taking it personally ...

that is more comical than anything :shrugs:

Keep telling yourself I'm taking it personally. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I encourage you to watch Idiocracy. You're like one of the people from the future, and I'm Luke Wilson, using normal sentences that somehow get misinterpreted by people like you.

ny-headroll_zps7364be39.gif

LOL

• Like 1

Success or failure is always in the eye of the beholder. Those looking for reasons why CD was a success will find some. Those looking for why it was a failure will do the same.

I think people are missing the point here. This is not really about sales, though people did expect CD to sell more than it did, though obviously not as much as appetite or UYI.

The point is that as of today, out in the real world, CD did not make the impact that was expected of it. It fell short in that respect. Even Axl knows this.

The excuses trotted out by others in relation to why this is the case is comical. The lack of promotion one especially.

You'd want to have been living on Mars not to have known that CD was out when it was released. It was the most eagerly awaited album of all time and when it was released it was discussed all over TV,Radio and the internet. That it quickly fell out of the mainstream conversation is down to the fact that people, in general, didn't like it once they heard it. Promotion had nothing to do with it. Songs that people didn't take to did.

Yeah, I agree with much of this.

I was saying in another thread that the notoriety should have elevated sales. Given how things turned out, that's not a reassuring thought.

But I do feel cd was poorly promoted. Think of the extra copies it would've shifted if Axl, the old hermit, the howard hughes of rock, had done half a dozen interviews and maybe played a gig on top of a building in NYC or something.

Why Axl used to do music videos, interviews (more than today), promotions etc...I wonder why he chooses to lock himself in his mansion? I think this is the sad part of Axl Rose that he thinks his fans are his enemies and other people who disagree with him...Maybe the success really got into his head..who knows..Axl said in one interview that "GnR is my life and nobody elses"...Alan Niven saw a picture of GnR in Axl's house (dropping the needle interview with Alan Niven) and Axl had written on it "my band"....Says alot about the guy and how he views life in general..

Great interview of Niven and how he views Axl...I share lot of Nivens arguments..

Edited by gunnari

Yeah, these people like OP (who by the way, is an alt account of a banned user) get on such an autopilot, they don't have a cohesive collective argument. They just attack anything nuGuns on some weird, bizarre, delusional autopilot, while acting smug the whole time. It really is comical.

However, I think you hit the nail on the head as to the root of their shit-talking: Chinese Democracy was not as successful as previous Guns' efforts. Because of that, and because they don't approve of what Axl's done with the name, and what he's done with the sound, they do all they can to smear nuGuns and Chinese Democracy while dramatically acting disgruntled.

Keep telling yourself I'm taking it personally. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I encourage you to watch Idiocracy. You're like one of the people from the future, and I'm Luke Wilson, using normal sentences that somehow get misinterpreted by people like you.

[annoying meme]

LOL

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you come into the chatroom when I was there and remark how surprised you were that I didn't give a shit you had tried so hard to cupcake me in attitude? Remember that? Oops. Like I said, you're one of the people from the future, and I'm Luke Wilson:

51RTHWvqyfL._SY300_.jpg

Edited by brainsaber

Oh for Christ sake.

Everybody and their mother knew the album was going to sell a significant amount of copies upon its release. But it quickly fell off and left little to no impression on the masses. Nobody besides the hundred hardcores on the forums wants another nu album. And most are as convinced as ever Axl can't carry on the gnr name without any of the other essential ingredients.

So yeah, flop isn't technically the right term to use, but failure is. Not to say you can't like the album, or you're dumb for doing so. But facts are facts.

People didn't connect to it because it just wasn't that good (based on popular opinion of course) There are other minor attributes, but that's mainly what it boils down to. The cop outs at this point are just sad and pathetic.

In retrospect, the masses rejected it, and I've seen it on more worst comeback albums lists than not. Neither the media nor the masses batted an eye when the nu guys weren't even mentioned at the rnrhof. Nobody would bat an eye if Axl stopped playing nu songs altogether. Except of course, the hundred hardcores on here that still believe Axls gonna do anything else besides touring until he either retires or dies.

[annoying meme]

LOL

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you come into the chatroom when I was there and remark how surprised you were that I didn't give a shit you had tried so hard to cupcake me in attitude? Remember that? Oops. Like I said, you're one of the people from the future, and I'm Luke Wilson:

51RTHWvqyfL._SY300_.jpg

weren't you the same guy that cried to Maynard that he had "won" the fight and you had given up the fight on chat :lol:

I have more than one person to support my claim on this lol

Be real Brainsaber... the only reason you came back was cause maynard Nosaj thing Diceman left and Rusty doesn't post anymore

You got butt hurt and left... :cry:

don't worry... no one will hurt you anymore :lol:

Edited by Gia

Oh for Christ sake.

Everybody and their mother knew the album was going to sell a significant amount of copies upon its release. But it quickly fell off and left little to no impression on the masses. Nobody besides the hundred hardcores on the forums wants another nu album. And most are as convinced as ever Axl can't carry on the gnr name without any of the other essential ingredients.

So yeah, flop isn't technically the right term to use, but failure is. Not to say you can't like the album, or you're dumb for doing so. But facts are facts.

People didn't connect to it because it just wasn't that good (based on popular opinion of course) There are other minor attributes, but that's mainly what it boils down to. The cop outs at this point are just sad and pathetic.

In retrospect, the masses rejected it, and I've seen it on more worst comeback albums lists than not. Neither the media nor the masses batted an eye when the nu guys weren't even mentioned at the rnrhof. Nobody would bat an eye if Axl stopped playing nu songs altogether. Except of course, the hundred hardcores on here that still believe Axls gonna do anything else besides touring until he either retires or dies.

Has anyone heard CD played on the radio today? Not in my country...there is one big proof masses rejected it!!

[annoying meme]

LOL

51RTHWvqyfL._SY300_.jpg

weren't you the same guy that cried to Maynard that he had "won" the fight and you had given up the fight on chat :lol:

Be real Brainsaber... the only reason you came back was cause maynard Nosaj thing Diceman left and Rusty doesn't post anymore

Cried to maynard? Again, you seem to be attributing a lot of emotion here. Unfortunately, that emotion is coming from you. I told maynard he had won, yes. I don't dispute it. I notice you conveniently left out the part that he and I were joking around, but hey, whatever floats your boat, honey.

As for being butthurt over what those people said, it's time to come back to reality Gia. I know you're trying ever so hard to be popular in Anything Goes, but don't project your emotional investment into this board on to me. For years, I had multiple nemeses. Did you read that? Years. So your logic doesn't really pass the litmus test. Why would I leave all of a sudden? It doesn't make any sense at all. I wonder though... do you take my posts personally? They seem to bother you so much. Hmmm.

Furthermore, I'm not sure if you know what an alt account is, but has it ever occurred to you that maybe, just maybe, I was using an alt account for a few months? Oh by the way, I came back under this account because attitude was getting closed. Oh teh dramaz!

The fact is: you and your ilk repeat the same things over and over without giving any thought to whether the arguments make sense or are cohesive. For example, I pointed out in this thread how critics such as yourself will, in one breath say CD was a commercial failure, then in the next breath say it was successful because Axl had the name. And when I point that out, what do you do? Oh right, tell me how personally I took it. Maybe you oughtta take a look in the mirror. You're the one who's disgruntled because Axl ruined your dreams. But by all means, keep on fightin the good fight!

Edited by brainsaber

[annoying meme]

LOL

51RTHWvqyfL._SY300_.jpg

Cried to maynard? Again, you seem to be attributing a lot of emotion here. Unfortunately, that emotion is coming from you. I told maynard he had won, yes. I don't dispute it.

As for being butthurt over what those people said, it's time to come back to reality Gia. I know you're trying ever so hard to be popular in Anything Goes, but don't project your emotional investment into this board on to me. For years, I had multiple nemeses. Did you read that? Years. So your logic doesn't really pass the litmus test.

Furthermore, I'm not sure if you know what an alt account is, but has it ever occurred to you that maybe, just maybe, I was using an alt account for a few months? There were quite a few posters who, like yourself, were emotionally invested in trolling me. So I gave them a few months off. I came back under this account because attitude was getting closed. Please, Gia, leave me out of your drama.

The fact is: you and your ilk repeat the same things over and over without giving any thought to whether the arguments make sense or are cohesive. For example, I pointed out in this thread how critics such as yourself will, in one breath say CD was a commercial failure, then in the next breath say it was successful because Axl had the name. And when I point that out, what do you do? Oh right, tell me how emotional I am. Maybe you oughtta take a look in the mirror. You're the one who's disgruntled because Axl ruined your dreams. But by all means, keep on fightin the good fight!

LOL

Popular in Anything Goes? What is this? High school? Wow.. dude.. you are out of it

and BTW I'm team Axl :lol:

[annoying meme]

LOL

51RTHWvqyfL._SY300_.jpg

Cried to maynard? Again, you seem to be attributing a lot of emotion here. Unfortunately, that emotion is coming from you. I told maynard he had won, yes. I don't dispute it. I notice you conveniently left out the part that he and I were joking around, but hey, whatever floats your boat, honey.

As for being butthurt over what those people said, it's time to come back to reality Gia. I know you're trying ever so hard to be popular in Anything Goes, but don't project your emotional investment into this board on to me. For years, I had multiple nemeses. Did you read that? Years. So your logic doesn't really pass the litmus test. Why would I leave all of a sudden? It doesn't make any sense at all. I wonder though... do you take my posts personally? They seem to bother you so much. Hmmm.

Furthermore, I'm not sure if you know what an alt account is, but has it ever occurred to you that maybe, just maybe, I was using an alt account for a few months? Oh by the way, I came back under this account because attitude was getting closed. Oh teh dramaz!

The fact is: you and your ilk repeat the same things over and over without giving any thought to whether the arguments make sense or are cohesive. For example, I pointed out in this thread how critics such as yourself will, in one breath say CD was a commercial failure, then in the next breath say it was successful because Axl had the name. And when I point that out, what do you do? Oh right, tell me how personally I took it. Maybe you oughtta take a look in the mirror. You're the one who's disgruntled because Axl ruined your dreams. But by all means, keep on fightin the good fight!

Why would you use an alt account? What's the point of hiding? Why not just be brainsaber?

[annoying meme]

LOL

51RTHWvqyfL._SY300_.jpg

Cried to maynard? Again, you seem to be attributing a lot of emotion here. Unfortunately, that emotion is coming from you. I told maynard he had won, yes. I don't dispute it.

As for being butthurt over what those people said, it's time to come back to reality Gia. I know you're trying ever so hard to be popular in Anything Goes, but don't project your emotional investment into this board on to me. For years, I had multiple nemeses. Did you read that? Years. So your logic doesn't really pass the litmus test.

Furthermore, I'm not sure if you know what an alt account is, but has it ever occurred to you that maybe, just maybe, I was using an alt account for a few months? There were quite a few posters who, like yourself, were emotionally invested in trolling me. So I gave them a few months off. I came back under this account because attitude was getting closed. Please, Gia, leave me out of your drama.

The fact is: you and your ilk repeat the same things over and over without giving any thought to whether the arguments make sense or are cohesive. For example, I pointed out in this thread how critics such as yourself will, in one breath say CD was a commercial failure, then in the next breath say it was successful because Axl had the name. And when I point that out, what do you do? Oh right, tell me how emotional I am. Maybe you oughtta take a look in the mirror. You're the one who's disgruntled because Axl ruined your dreams. But by all means, keep on fightin the good fight!

LOL

Popular in Anything Goes? What is this? High school? Wow.. dude.. you are out of it

and BTW I'm team Axl :lol:

aaaand....... the wheels have come off this thread.

Why would you use an alt account? What's the point of hiding? Why not just be brainsaber?

Well what she's conveniently omitting is that I came here under brainsaber multiple times, I just didn't post for a few months. I went in the chatroom many times during that period- which is when Maynard and I had the drunken discussion, and I told him he had won. But apparently me telling maynard he had won is serious business now, to her anyway.

Back on topic:

I've only used a few of those excuses in that list. ; )

Assuming there were even wheels in the first place. Nothing new going on, just some smug "we are so much smarter than than the people who disagree with us" boasting. The only directions this thread was intended to go were circle-jerk or cupcake-fest.

• Like 1