MSG Taps Billy Joel As Its First Music Franchise

axlslash

Madison Square Garden announced today that legendary music icon Billy Joel will become the first-ever music franchise of "The World's Most Famous Arena." Joining the ranks of The Garden's other original franchises – including the New York Knicks, Rangers and Liberty – Billy Joel will kick off this franchise at The Garden performing a show a month, as long as there is demand, starting January 27, 2014. The first four previously announced shows -- January 27, February 3, March 21, April 18 are sold out. The just announced May 9 show, which is also Billy's 65th birthday, will be available to Citi cardmembers during an exclusive presale from December 4th at 10am (EST) through December 6th at 10pm (EST). Tickets will then be available for purchase by the general public beginning at 10am (EST) on Saturday, December 7th.

"Since his first show in 1978, Billy has performed 46 shows at Madison Square Garden, including an unprecedented 12 consecutive sold-out shows that have earned Billy a spot among the Garden greats with a banner raised in his honor. Today, we take that relationship even further and are extremely honored to have Billy as The Garden's first music franchise," said James L. Dolan, executive chairman, The Madison Square Garden Company. "This new partnership will ensure that someone who has been such an important figure in our past, will also be a major part of our future. We welcome Billy home and look forward to many unforgettable nights of music at the Garden."

"Today's announcement that Billy Joel is joining the Madison Square Garden family as their first music franchise is truly a momentous occasion," said Andrew M. Cuomo, Governor of New York. "It is particularly fitting that these two great icons are coming together to make entertainment history right here in New York. I offer my congratulations to Billy Joel and Madison Square Garden and the millions of fans worldwide who will benefit from this collaboration for years to come."

"Performing at Madison Square Garden is a thrilling experience. I've played different venues all over the world, but there's no place like coming home to The Garden. Since my first show in 1978, I've always looked forward to the energy of the crowd. I'm honored to be joining the Madison Square Garden family and look forward to taking the stage of the newly transformed Garden to create many more memorable nights."

Over its 130-year history, Madison Square Garden has become known as the preeminent venue for legendary artists and athletes. Billy Joel's first concert at The Garden was held on December 14, 1978 and, since then, he has performed an astounding 46 concerts at the Arena. In 2006, with 12-consecutive performances, Billy Joel broke the Garden's record for "Longest Run of a Single Artist." To commemorate this historical moment, a banner featuring "Joel – 12" was raised to The Garden rafters, and now hangs alongside other Garden legends such as Mark Messier, Rod Gilbert, Walt "Clyde" Frazier, Bill Bradley and Willis Reed.

Billy Joel is one of the highest grossing touring artists in the world. Having sold more than 150 million records over the past quarter century, Billy Joel ranks as one of most popular recording artists and respected entertainers in history. Throughout the years, Joel's songs have acted as personal and cultural touchstones for millions of people, mirroring his own goal of writing songs that "meant something during the time in which I lived ... and transcended that time." The singer/songwriter/composer is the sixth best-selling recording artist of all time and the third best-selling solo artist.

In December, Billy Joel will receive The Kennedy Center Honor, one of the United States' top cultural awards. New York's quintessential son performed at the historic 12.12.12 The Concert For Sandy Relief, joining other music greats to raise awareness and money to help those affected by Hurricane Sandy. Billy Joel was honored by Steinway & Sons with a painted portrait that hangs in Steinway Hall in Manhattan, making him the first non-classical pianist to be immortalized in the collection. He played to more than 110,000 fans when he performed the final concerts at Shea Stadium, featured in the 2010 documentary film "The Last Play At Shea."

Billy Joel has received six GRAMMY® Awards, including the prestigious Grammy Legend Award. He has been inducted into the Songwriter's Hall of Fame and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and has received numerous industry awards. His music has also served as the inspiration and score for the hit Tony Award-winning Broadway play "Movin' Out."

MSG now offers a rich visual history of Billy Joel and his many Garden performances through a scrollable timeline, featuring archival images, video insights from Billy, sharable images and lyrics, plus direct links for ticketing. Visit billyjoelmsg.com for more information. Join the conversation with #BillyJoelMSG.

http://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2013/12/03/594280/10060206/en/Madison-Square-Garden-Announces-Billy-Joel-as-First-Ever-Music-Franchise-Billy-Joel-at-The-Garden.html

GNR has been doing this is South America for years.

GN'R has been playing a show a month at the same arena in South America for years? Are you high?

Are you high? Its a fucking joke.

You sound mad. Maybe you should smoke another one. It can't hurt because you're already far beyond the point of knowing what you're talking about. :shrugs:

P.S. Nice edit. You sound a little less mad, and you took out most of the nonsense.

Edited by Damn_Smooth

Actually I'm just insulting you. And that's rich coming from a guy who throws hissy fits and insults people left and right in every single thread. Stop derailing every topic you post in and get over yourself. I could point you to some news articles I've posted if you want?

Back on topic, I'm going to (atleast) one of these shows. If he changes up the setlist each time, I'll definitely try to go to a few. Was also considering Barcaly's on News Years Eve but I imagine it's impossible to get tickets at this point.

Edited by Broskirose

Actually I'm just insulting you. And that's rich coming from a guy who throws hissy fits and insults people left and right in every single thread. Stop derailing every topic you post in and get over yourself. I could point you to some news articles I've posted if you want?

Back on topic, I'm going to (atleast) one of these shows. If he changes up the setlist each time, I'll definitely try to go to a few. Was also considering Barcaly's on News Years Eve but I imagine it's impossible to get tickets at this point.

LOL, an illiterate newsman, that's rich. If you were able to read, you would know that I don't throw hissy fits. I make idiots like you throw hissy fits.

You shit up the thread, as pointed out in my previous post. Kind of like you're doing right now. You've yet to make a single on topic post and instead chose to just argue about GNR like an 11 year old. I can see you clearly need the last word, so go ahead and have and then please leave. No one cares man. Axl is the best, yeah we get it.

You shit up the thread, as pointed out in my previous post. Kind of like you're doing right now. You've yet to make a single on topic post and instead chose to just argue about GNR like an 11 year old. I can see you clearly need the last word, so go ahead and have and then please leave. No one cares man. Axl is the best, yeah we get it.

So you agree that GN'R plays the same arena in South America monthly and has done so for years. I see. Are you high?

Keep in mind the last Billy Joel album came out the same year The Spaghetti Incident? came out and he's been selling out shows at MSG. He's going to be 65 years old, the age most people are looking to move close to a golf course.

3 ex-wives and no one's auctioning his stuff off. He must be doing something right.

I'm surprised there's no photo of Billy at the GNR concert where Slash said Billy helped himself to their liquor stash.