Underrated Bands and Albums?

IRanOutOfIdeas

Decided to go with the opposite trend...

What are some bands/albums that you enjoy that you think never got enough credit?

Some of mine include:

1) Rory Gallagher. Most underrated guitarist out there. Never heard more passion in playing. Irish Tour '74 is a masterpiece, especially Walk on Hot Coals.

2) Anything Graham Parsons ever did.

3) Animals by Pink Floyd. Yeah, it's a popular album but I think that and DSOTM are their best works.

4) Big Star

5) Faces

6) Little Feat

7) Talk is Cheap by Keith Richards (Released in the late 80's prior to Steel Wheels when the Stones were still in the shitty Dirty Work phase)

8) Second Album by Roy Buchanan. Listen to Five-String Blues. Just do it.

Yeah this list could go on forever.

• Like 1

Decided to go with the opposite trend...

What are some bands/albums that you enjoy that you think never got enough credit?

Some of mine include:

1) Rory Gallagher. Most underrated guitarist out there. Never heard more passion in playing. Irish Tour '74 is a masterpiece, especially Walk on Hot Coals.

2) Anything Gram Parsons ever did.

3) Animals by Pink Floyd. Yeah, it's a popular album but I think that and DSOTM are their best works.

4) Big Star

5) Faces

6) Little Feat

7) Talk is Cheap by Keith Richards (Released in the late 80's prior to Steel Wheels when the Stones were still in the shitty Dirty Work phase)

8) Second Album by Roy Buchanan. Listen to Five-String Blues. Just do it.

Yeah this list could go on forever.

Big Star are just horribly underated, they were cursed with shitty management.

Rory Gallagher is the best of all time. I read somewhere that actually his albums sold well and there were no flops.

I guess he was just really popular in Europe but never broke in America.

Stealers Wheel's a great band that nobody knows.

A lot of the Wings work on the 70's, basically every album from the first in 1971 to Back to the Egg in 1978.

John Lennon's Walls and Bridges.

Moby Grape.

Deep Purple's MK III and IV are really underated, especially the latter. Tommy Bolin was a solid guitar player, among the best,

I really wish that they had done more stuff, I liked their direction, but what happenes with Lord and Paice after DP kind of

complemented what didn't happen on a possible 2nd album by the MK IV, the Malice in Wonderland album.

The list goes on and on.

Deep Purple's MK III and IV are really underated, especially the latter. Tommy Bolin was a solid guitar player, among the best,

I really wish that they had done more stuff, I liked their direction, but what happenes with Lord and Paice after DP kind of

complemented what didn't happen on a possible 2nd album by the MK IV,

Love the Deep Purple album Come Taste The Band...probably my fav Purple album of any incarnation

Big Star are just horribly underated, they were cursed with shitty management.

Rory Gallagher is the best of all time. I read somewhere that actually his albums sold well and there were no flops.

I guess he was just really popular in Europe but never broke in America.

Stealers Wheel's a great band that nobody knows.

A lot of the Wings work on the 70's, basically every album from the first in 1971 to Back to the Egg in 1978.

John Lennon's Walls and Bridges.

Moby Grape.

complemented what didn't happen on a possible 2nd album by the MK IV, the Malice in Wonderland album.

The list goes on and on.

I kinda consider Big Star the American parallel to Badfinger, but both are getting more and more recognition (Especially with Baby Blue on Breaking Bad).

Oh Moby Grape, what a classic. Skip Spence's Oar is also a weird masterwork.

Deep Purple's MK III was also relatively acclaimed; Burn's a hell of an album and both Coverdale and Hughes can roar.

But yeah, Gallagher never got big in America. Half of it I think was his staunch anti-corporate stance. His touring in America was mostly limited to theaters at best. But he played so hard he ousted the main acts haha.

That version of Tatoo'd Lady is probably in my top 5 favorite songs.

Deep Purple's MK III was also relatively acclaimed; Burn's a hell of an album and both Coverdale and Hughes can roar.

Love the Deep Purple album Come Taste The Band...probably my fav Purple album of any incarnation

Yes. Love both of those albums. As long as Ritchie was in the band, good music was being made. I'm not too familiar with Morse's Purple, but what I've heard I've liked.

Tommy Bolin played on "Come Taste The Band" as Ritchie had left to start Rainbow

No offense to Tommy (I know he's got some good solo work) but Deep Purple ain't nothin' without Richie.

Modern Deep Purple is kinda shameful, to be honest. If you think Axl Rose is bad nowadays, go watch a 2013 performance of Highway Star.