MacArthur Park - brilliant & epic, or stoner poetry bullshit?

dalsh327

"The worst song of all time"? Some say so.

Richard Harris, great actor, great (unpredictable) storyteller on talk shows like Peter O'Toole and Oliver Reed, but the song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHS8hj4TdT

People are still trying to figure the song out... I don't think it's that different from Lou's "Perfect Day" as far as what the song is about, people say both songs have to do with drugs *L*.

The most popular is probably Donna Summer's with "Heaven Knows" thrown in the middle of it. I'm opting not to post that one, but I am going to post the recent one with Jimmy Webb and Brian Wilson on backing vocals. Waylon Jennings had a hit with it in the late 60s, whether or not Shooter Jennings would do the song....probably for a movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOM_C-amqWc

How does this "epic" compare against GNR "epics"? Could you see GNR doing this one?

brilliant & epic, or stoner poetry bullshit?

Tough question, great thread.

I don't have an answer, but I love the song, and the Donna Summer version is probably my favorite.

I never really though it was about drugs, though. I always took it to be a song about heartbreak.

Like, the guy has this big erection for his girl, but she broke it off with him, and now he's a damaged, broken man, and he has lost his mojo. What was once a powerful erection and a lust for life, is now just a soggy, shrunken cake in the rain. :shrugs:

tall2-copy.jpg

Y'know, the cake could be an actual wedding cake, or a symbol for his erection, or a symbol for the relationship (it took so long to bake it), but I don't see in anything in the song that suggests it's about drugs.

Between the parted pages and were pressed

In love's hot, fevered iron

Like a striped pair of pants

All the sweet, green icing flowing down

Someone left the cake out in the rain

I don't think that I can take it

Cause it took so long to bake it

And I'll never have that recipe again

I recall the yellow cotton dress

Foaming like a wave

On the ground around your knees

I will take my life into my hands and I will use it

And my passion flow like rivers through the sky.

brilliant & epic, or stoner poetry bullshit?

Tough question, great thread.

I don't have an answer, but I love the song, and the Donna Summer version is probably my favorite.

I never really though it was about drugs, though. I always took it to be a song about heartbreak.

Like, the guy has this big erection for his girl, but she broke it off with him, and now he's a damaged, broken man, and he has lost his mojo. What was once a powerful erection and a lust for life, is now just a soggy, shrunken cake in the rain. :shrugs:

:rofl-lol: