Second Olympic sprinter tests positive for performance enhancer

Guest NGOG

Guest Len B'stard

Lance Armstrong was a scapegoat.

Yeah, an extremely guilty one :lol:

You're only extremely guilty when you're caught.

I don't know all the in's and outs but he basically got rumbled running a fuckin' doping ring or some shit? Is that accurate?

Guest Len B'stard

Thinking back to when Amir Khan fought Lamont Peterson, Peterson was on PEDs and he pretty much lost to Amir really, despite the decision going the other way, so it didn't do him much favours.

Asafa Powell and now Tyson Gay, makes you wonder how many Olympic-level athletes haven't attempted doping.

Dorian Yates, the 6-time Mr. Olympia, once claimed that the top athletes in every sport are using performance enhancers. I would say he is right.

Yeah, they're all on some type of PEDs. Bolt makes both Powell and Gay his bitches on a regular basis on the tracks - do you think that's solely due to training harder and having better genetics? It's just like with Armstrong - people still believed he was clean even though many of the competitors he destroyed seven years in a row got busted. People are so fucking naive when it comes to this subject - they underestimate exactly how effective things like anabolic steroids and EPO actually are. A clean pro cyclist (some people consider that an oxymoron) has absolutely no chance against a pro cyclist on EPO. it's just not possible, no matter how genetically gifted you are.

My brother remarked to me about how when his friend broke the squat record, it was in the "drug tested" category, and it was laughable how much higher the non tested world records were.

Asafa Powell and now Tyson Gay, makes you wonder how many Olympic-level athletes haven't attempted doping.

Dorian Yates, the 6-time Mr. Olympia, once claimed that the top athletes in every sport are using performance enhancers. I would say he is right.

Yeah, they're all on some type of PEDs. Bolt makes both Powell and Gay his bitches on a regular basis on the tracks - do you think that's solely due to training harder and having better genetics? It's just like with Armstrong - people still believed he was clean even though many of the competitors he destroyed seven years in a row got busted. People are so fucking naive when it comes to this subject - they underestimate exactly how effective things like anabolic steroids and EPO actually are. A clean pro cyclist (some people consider that an oxymoron) has absolutely no chance against a pro cyclist on EPO. it's just not possible, no matter how genetically gifted you are.

My brother remarked to me about how when his friend broke the squat record, it was in the "drug tested" category, and it was laughable how much higher the non tested world records were.

Yeah, the world record squat in the biggest drug-tested pf organization is held by a Norwegian at 1050lbs. The record in the biggest non drug-tested organization is around 1250, I think. Let me tell you, the difference between 1000 and 1200 pounds is nothing like the difference between 200 and 400 pounds.

Guest NGOG

Sport is supposed to be about humans pitting their genetics against one another

Sport is about money. And people will do anything for that money.

Certain athletes have developed huge brands, but to anyone with a sincere appreciation of competition, sport is NOT about money. Even Floyd Mayweather HATES the thought of losing.

Sport is supposed to be about humans pitting their genetics against one another

Sport is about money. And people will do anything for that money.

Certain athletes have developed huge brands, but to anyone with a sincere appreciation of competition, sport is NOT about money. Even Floyd Mayweather HATES the thought of losing.

Yeah, well, that's your opinion.

Everybody likes to win and be the best and be praised for that... but we can't deny money is one of the main feautures of modern sport. I doubt Mayweather would fight for free. :shrugs: And it''s not only the sportsmen per se, it's all the shit they have behind, managers, trainers, etc.

In the case of Armstrong for example, you have Johan Bruynel. And they even coerced the teammates to dope or they would be fired. And the directors of other teams probably put pressure on their riders because you can't win the cheaters without cheating. The whole system is fucked up.

And you can't deny the appealing of hundreds of thousands dollars for the champion.

Guest NGOG

You really didn't listen to my point, man. Yes money has become a huge factor for many professional athletes, but for those that strive for the top, it rarely overrides a love of winning. Floyd Mayweather loves money, but don't be fooled into thinking he doesn't care about his undefeated record.

You really didn't listen to my point, man. Yes money has become a huge factor for many professional athletes, but for those that strive for the top, it rarely overrides a love of winning. Floyd Mayweather loves money, but don't be fooled into thinking he doesn't care about his undefeated record.

I see your point and I agree with it. Wealth is a means to an end rather than self-actualization, which is the end itself.

Guest NGOG

Of couse he cares about his record and about winning and probably he loves his sport with a passion... but I still think he wouldn't fight just for the love for boxing.

So why did he fight 90 amateur fights? Why did he go to the Olympics?

Mayweather's brand alone generates millions every year, so why box? He's already pocketed some of the greatest purses in boxing history, so why not focus on his promotion company and empire? Here's why, boxing is in the Mayweather blood. He likes to say it's all about the money, but that's just a gimmick. Floyd is quietly pursuing Rocky Marciano's record, and wants to be considered The Best Ever.

Edited by NGOG

Guest NGOG

Alright.

Unless you're Mayweather, professional sport is about money.

Some people enter a ring or some other competitive arena for a paycheck, but they're rarely successful. The athletes that define every sport have a compulsive need to win. Tiger Woods, Floyd Mayweather, Cristiano Ronaldo and Roger Federer are all extremely wealthy because they accept nothing other than trophies. If they allowed money to supersede their ambition for one second, their dominance would quickly crash.

People want to give them money because their image is associated with success.

Edited by NGOG

Fair enough.

To behonest, I wasn't thinking only in the reasons of the sportsmen, I was thinking more about the whole system. TV makes a lot of money, sponsors, clubs, managers, coaches, the cities organising the Games or any other big sporting event, etc. What I meant is that sports today are nothing but a business.

Btw, those champions that have a compulsive need to win... if that compulsive need to win leads you to cheat, then for me is even worse than doing it for the money. Where's the sportsmanship and all that?