second oldest profession

netcat

i just came across these warning stickers about unscrupulous journalists and i thought they were funny. and the most funny part about them is that it's not a joke and at some point all journalists are guilty as charged

2cnw7jc.jpg

what do you think is the most important function of the journalism today? to give an "unbiased information" (kind of impossible imo), to entertain? to form (manipulate) public opinion? to fill the gap between commercials?

'So much for Objective Journalism. Don't bother to look for it here--not under any byline of mine; or anyone else I can think of. With the possible exception of things like box scores, race results, and stock market tabulations, there is no such thing as Objective Journalism. The phrase itself is a pompous contradiction in terms.'

• Like 1

Guest Len B'stard

'So much for Objective Journalism. Don't bother to look for it here--not under any byline of mine; or anyone else I can think of. With the possible exception of things like box scores, race results, and stock market tabulations, there is no such thing as Objective Journalism. The phrase itself is a pompous contradiction in terms.'

x 500,000,000,000,000,000,00.00

Journalism is there to let the people know what range of opinions they're allowed to have.

you mean like Alex Jones Show? :lol:

But anyway opinion is supposed to be secondary to facts, no? I mean, you are supposed to be able form an opinion based on some information, preferably correct? Although in many cases it’s almost impossible because all journalists are biased and have their own reasons and motives to manipulate facts. and sooner or later you understand you can’t trust not a single one of them. and then comes the funniest part. You know you had formed an “opinion” based on a sum of dubious “facts” and now you don’t believe in “facts” anymore, so you mostly choose to ignore all the “facts” that contradict your “opinion”

• Like 1

Journalism is there to let the people know what range of opinions they're allowed to have.

But anyway opinion is supposed to be secondary to facts, no? I mean, you are supposed to be able form an opinion based on some information, preferably correct? Although in many cases it’s almost impossible because all journalists are biased and have their own reasons and motives to manipulate facts. and sooner or later you understand you can’t trust not a single one of them. and then comes the funniest part. You know you had formed an “opinion” based on a sum of dubious “facts” and now you don’t believe in “facts” anymore, so you mostly choose to ignore all the “facts” that contradict your “opinion”

I don't watch Alex Jones. Whatchoo talkin' bout? :max:

I don't watch Alex Jones. Whatchoo talkin' bout? :max:

i don't watch it to such an extent that i thought it was a radio show :rofl-lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Alex_Jones_Show

Edited by netcat

As someone who works with journalists...

Journalism is a profession made up of people who try to use their skills to economic benefit. They aren't people who live and breathe scandal, controversy or opinion. It is the publishers who want to see their newspapers sell which direct what gets published. Those stickers are cliches of a profession which apply to few individual writers. Newspaper writers and editors are pretty powerless compared to the publisher.

It's like me with Design, I'm not a Graphic a Designer because I envisioned myself designing a GN'R's next album cover, (though Axl, if you're reading, I have the best hourly rate you'll find) but because I want to use my skills to earn a living. I'd rather be an Illustrator, but there just isn't the work out there to constitute a full-time job right now.

Guest Len B'stard

Journalism is a profession made up of people who try to use their skills to economic benefit.

Naaah, y'reckon? :lol:

• Like 1

As someone who works with journalists...

Journalism is a profession made up of people who try to use their skills to economic benefit. They aren't people who live and breathe scandal, controversy or opinion. It is the publishers who want to see their newspapers sell which direct what gets published. Those stickers are cliches of a profession which apply to few individual writers. Newspaper writers and editors are pretty powerless compared to the publisher.

It's like me with Design, I'm not a Graphic a Designer because I envisioned myself designing a GN'R's next album cover, (though Axl, if you're reading, I have the best hourly rate you'll find) but because I want to use my skills to earn a living. I'd rather be an Illustrator, but there just isn't the work out there to constitute a full-time job right now.

i used to be a journalist / editor for quite some time. and im sure the best journalists (by best i mean the sharpest, most influential and as you put it, those who live and breathe the subject they specialize at) always end up finding editors / publishers who share their believes so they eventually get the opportunity to impose their oppinion on general public allright :lol:

Edited by netcat
  • Like 1