MEMBERS OF THIS FORUM, THAT LIVE IN THE STATES, I NEED YOUR HELP!!!

SunnyDRE

So family all went in and bought my brother, who graduated last month, a car. He has had it about 15 days. It doesn't work now. Won't crank, won't do anything.

Can we take the car back? Will they fix it? Bought it from a used car lot. Had it less than 30 days? Isn't there law in each state? I'm in Alabama.

In this area, the car lot does have a decent reputation for selling good used vehicles, priced anywhere between $4000 to $10,000. A huge lot. We paid cash.

I've looked online about the lemon laws, but I keep getting conflicting information.

Help me MYGNR!!!

Come on Sunny, you should know that I worked as a director in the car business for over 10 years.

First rule is that you usually get more with sugar than with spice. So you should start out by telling the dealer what the problems are and see their response. Many times, if it's a reputable dealer, they will take care of the problem.

If they don't, let me know and we'll take it to the next level. ;)

i would call someone. lemon laws can be pretty difficult to deal with since there is a lot of guide lines to them.

Lemon laws only apply to new vehicles. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Come on Sunny, you should know that I worked as a director in the car business for over 10 years.

First rule is that you usually get more with sugar than with spice. So you should start out by telling the dealer what the problems are and see their response. Many times, if it's a reputable dealer, they will take care of the problem.

this is basically what happened to my grandmother. me and my brother bought her a truck, something went wrong with it 2 or 3 weeks after she had it. we took it to the dealer, and the dealer fixed it no problems asked.

• Like 2

i would call someone. lemon laws can be pretty difficult to deal with since there is a lot of guide lines to them.

i think there is some states that have used car lemon laws, i think mass is one.

• Like 2

i think there is some states that have used car lemon laws, i think mass is one.

Very possible....actually, I have heard of that.

The Federal Lemon Law only applies to manufactured new vehicles.....I've only worked (in the car business) in Pennsylvania and Florida......and in both those states, it's only on new vehicles.

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 1

Yeah, all of family contributed, but I paid the most. If I'm throwing out money like that, I want whatever I have bought to work for more than two weeks....even if it isn't for me.

Family, wants to wait around, but I'm thinking "time" is important. I plan on going down to the dealership tomorrow and having a talk with them. Any tips on what to say would be appreciated.

Yeah, all of family contributed, but I paid the most. If I'm throwing out money like that, I want whatever I have bought to work for more than two weeks....even if it isn't for me.

Family, wants to wait around, but I'm thinking "time" is important. I plan on going down to the dealership tomorrow and having a talk with them. Any tips on what to say would be appreciated.

NEVER WAIT!

You need to go down and tell the dealer ASAP....the sooner, the better!

• Like 1

Guest Len B'stard

What you mean like show up at the office with a little slip of paper with his daughters school address, slide it across the desk to him and make him an offer he can't refuse? :D

Edited by Len B'stard

Check the receipt. Some used car dealerships buy as is which means once you buy it and drive it off the lot you're stuck with it.

I would take it back and see what they say. Maybe it's something minor.

Good luck. I know we once bought a truck for my son and it said as is and in about 3 weeks the truck's engine went. There wasn't a thing we could do about it. It sucks, but that's the way it was.