The Rockford Files

MrPoe

I've been watching "The Rockford Files" on Netflix nearly every night after work. I didn't pay much attention to it growing up; it was one of my dad's favorite shows.

The first season began in 1974, about 40 years ago. As I'm watching it, I keep thinking this showing wouldn't be so long if Rockford had a cell phone and internet! It's so amazing seeing him hunt for a phone booth and rummage for a dime to call the cops or make a last minute emergency call. He spent 15 minutes of one episode tracking his father down.

It's so weird, because that's when I grew up. It seems so ancient not to have cell phones and other direct communication. Yet we were still in the same boat until the late '80's.

Another strange thing is how dark this show is, especially season 3. Instead of ending with the traditional freeze frame laugh, it's usually someone losing their mind, or other sad endings.

I also found out James Garner did most of his own stuns, including driving. Apparently he invented the "J" turn.

• Like 1

I like a lot of the old shows from that era, i got into The Rockford Files from this old jeweller guy i knew who came to be to sort him out a copy cuz i was well into films and telly and DVDs and all that at one point and in getting it for him i watched it and yeah it is pretty good, always liked James Garner, he fell off the perch recently, did he not?

But yeah, Department S, The Persuaders, The Avengers, all those shows, they were good, i liked em. The guy that played Face in The A Team made an interesting distinction a whiles back and I agree with him that there are no male orientated TV shows anymore, they're kinda all for women when back in the day there was a good balance there that isn't anymore. A pretty solid actor to be doing TV work too, kinda like Peter Falk who was a fucking genius actor.

Edited by Lennie Godber