Tommy vs Duff: You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory

WFA

Tommy Stinson vs Duff McKagan  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Neither

It's a boring song for pretentious so called "punks" who make millions

Y'know Johnny died almost skint.

Yes, but Stinson is a Johnny-wannabe. Stinson's about as fake as they come, poser in the true sense of the word.

On the road aged 13 with The Mats in 1980 when punk was still punk, touring, putting in work? That dont sound like no wannabe to me, that sounds born and bred. The guy is a legend on The Mats alone, him being in GnR to me is like, just a weird cool coincidence, his dues are to do with what took place there for him.

Joining GNR is the absolute most poser-ish thing to do. Acting like a punk wearing Versace suits? Please. He's a phony.

The Mats were far from a punk band, and you should know that, of all people. Just because revisionist history labels them as punk, along with Soul Asylum and the Goo Goo Dolls, for fuck sake, doesn't make it true. Great band? Debatable. They certainly made a few good records but it's all Westerberg's doing, with a nice heaping of Bob Stinson. Tommy was just along for the ride, riding off of his brother's drunk coattails and he once again is riding of someone else's coattails with his faker than fake oh so punk drunk sneer.

I mean when punk was still punk as in they worked that circuit, that minutemen, Black Flag that circuit, they played to, to a greater of lesser degree, that scene and made their bones on that shit, thats the point i was trying to make. I wouldn't lump em in with Soul Asylum or The Goo Goo Dolls, thats just plain unfair :lol:

I think The Mats are fuckin amazing, more than that even if they ain't punk at all I'll tell ya one thing, their debut album sounds like better punk than a lot of punk I've had pass my way.

Out of interest, do you have any reasons other than the stated to dislike the guy?

No, I like the Mats :lol: :lol:

Just don't like Stinson's fakeness, as I see it. But that doesn't prevent me from liking the Mats. I don't like every person in every band that I like but he really rubs me the wrong way. Moreso than almost anyone I can think of.

It was a great time for music in the early 80's for fans seeking left of the dial stuff. If you wanted something with a different substance than what was playing on the radio, you had to seek it out. Bands like Black Flag and the Mats and the like didn't exactly play the big clubs in the big cities. You really had to go seek them out and you were rewarded by bands that gave 100000% on stage, every night, blood sweat and tears being the norm. If you wanna classify a band as being punk for the work ethic, for getting there music out their despite everything against them, that's fair.

I always kind of see the Mats influence more in the alt-country boom of the late 80's/early 90's. They have a certain "roots" feel to their music...and it got greater as they got a little older. Their debut is just rip roaring as you'd expect from guys their age

Edited by Sixes

It was a great time for music in the early 80's for fans seeking left of the dial stuff. If you wanted something with a different substance than what was playing on the radio, you had to seek it out. Bands like Black Flag and the Mats and the like didn't exactly play the big clubs in the big cities. You really had to go seek them out and you were rewarded by bands that gave 100000% on stage, every night, blood sweat and tears being the norm. If you wanna classify a band as being punk for the work ethic, for getting there music out their despite everything against them, that's fair.

I was just being a bit lazy with my definitions more than anything, i was just using the fact that they used that circuit, Tommy with em from his early teens, as a riposte to your claiming he was a wannabe.

Edited by Lennie Godber
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally saw Looking For Johnny last night. About on a par with the earlier documentary really. A better range of interviewees, Sylvain and Nina the biographer most notably. Between the two films you have a pretty definitive retrospective. Shitty that they couldn't include a few of the performances in full at least as an extra though. A lot of good stuff that I'd never seen.

Finally saw Looking For Johnny last night. About on a par with the earlier documentary really. A better range of interviewees, Sylvain and Nina the biographer most notably. Between the two films you have a pretty definitive retrospective. Shitty that they couldn't include a few of the performances in full at least as an extra though. A lot of good stuff that I'd never seen.

Where where where where where did you see it?!?!

Where where where where where did you see it?!?!

Picked it up at Jumbo Records in Leeds. Not much use to you, I know ;)