Werner Herzog

Mao5

Herzog's movies are strange, messy and ecstatic, a far cry from the chilly aloofness of Kubrick. In both his feature films and his documentaries, Herzog uses his camera to uncover new layers of nature, experience and the human psyche. And there have been few filmmakers more willing to shoot films in rugged, exotic places as Herzog from Antarctica to the Amazonian rainforest. In fact, a number of his most notorious shoots seem more designed to test the endurance of the cast and crew than to produce a movie.

His film Fitzcarraldo, for example, is about a guy who has the visionary idea to haul a riverboat over a mountain in the Amazon rainforest. Herzog decided, for the purposes of realism, that he would actually drag a riverboat over a mountain. The production, which is in the running for the most miserable film shoot ever, is the subject of the absolutely riveting documentary The Burden of Dreams. At point one in the doc, Herzog quips, I shouldnt make movies anymore. I should go to a lunatic asylum. And by the end of the movie, you think that hes probably right.

Of course, that crazed bravura has always been at the center of Herzogs mystique. After all, this is the guy who actually ate a shoe after losing a bet with documentary filmmaker Errol Morris.

source: http://www.openculture.com/2014/05/werner-herzog-picks-his-5-favorite-films.html

Filmography (fiction feature films):

Signs of Life (1968)

Even Dwarfs Started Small (1970)

Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972)

The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser (1974)

Heart of Glass (1976)

Stroszek (1977)

Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979)

Woyzeck (1979)

Fitzcarraldo (1982)

Where the Green Ants Dream (1984)

Cobra Verde (1987)

Scream of Stone (1991)

Invincible (2001)

The Wild Blue Yonder (2005)

Rescue Dawn (2007)

The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans (2009)

My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done? (2009)

Queen of the Desert (2015)

mwbw-wrathgod.jpg

Aguirre, the wrath of god

(Music by Popol Vuh)

Edited by Mao5

I've seen and love Nosferatu The Vampyre, that's absolutely wonderful.

Klaus Kinski was so repulsive yet appealing in that film. One of the closer depictions of Stoker's Dracula.

Nosferatu is one of the better remakes. In many ways it is better than the original. Kinski is up there with Lugosi, Schrek, Lee and Oldman for Dracula.

• Like 1