11.22.63 (Stephen King & J.J. Abrams)

Bumblefeet

Just watched the first episode and plan to watch the second one tomorrow. I've read the book so I kinda know what to expect and the first episode hit all the right notes.
I initially had my doubts about Franco playing the lead, but he sells it well and the 60s look amazing.

First time in years since I've liked a Stephen King adaptation from the get go, I thought Under the Dome has been piss poor for the most part.

The book is probably my favorite King piece that I've read, and the first two episodes nail it perfectly. I too was skeptical of Franco, but he's killing it, and holy hell is Josh Duhamel a magnificent choice to play Frank. Absolutely chilling. I can't wait until we get into the Sadie relationship and some more of the bigger "past fucking back" episodes. Gonna be a wild ride from here.

13 minutes ago, axlslash said:

The book is probably my favorite King piece that I've read, and the first two episodes nail it perfectly. I too was skeptical of Franco, but he's killing it, and holy hell is Josh Duhamel a magnificent choice to play Frank. Absolutely chilling. I can't wait until we get into the Sadie relationship and some more of the bigger "past fucking back" episodes. Gonna be a wild ride from here.

It was a great page turner and I especially loved the IT tie-in. Of his more recent stuff I enjoyed Cell the most (perhaps Duma Key as well) and there will hopefully be a movie out this year with Cusack and Sam Jackson. High expectations for that as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Holy shit was this week's episode a goddamn masterpiece. They are doing such a magnificent job with this adaptation. I'm not crazy about all of the different departures from the book, but to condense a 700-page book into so little time is tough and I think they're really doing the book justice, though I could really do without the whole Bill/Marina plot. T.R. Knight is among the greatest casting choices I have ever seen, he absolutely blows the doors off as Johnny Clayton. So quietly menacing, but not overdoing it at all. I cannot wait for next week's episode, just knowing what's coming next.

27 minutes ago, Russel Nash said:

i am really hooked with this series, i haven't read the book, but i am pretty sure i'll do after i finished Doctor Sleep.

I haven't read Dr. Sleep, but I can say that this book is probably my favorite of his. I've read The Shining, Green Mile, Carrie, Salem's Lot, and a short story collection Everything Is Eventual. I probably liked the short stories best, but in terms of his novels, this one wins by a hair. Try to put the series out of your mind as you read the book, though, because some of the twists are more fun when you don't know they're coming. But I highly recommend picking it up, it's a super quick read for a 700-pager.

31 minutes ago, axlslash said:

I haven't read Dr. Sleep, but I can say that this book is probably my favorite of his. I've read The Shining, Green Mile, Carrie, Salem's Lot, and a short story collection Everything Is Eventual. I probably liked the short stories best, but in terms of his novels, this one wins by a hair. Try to put the series out of your mind as you read the book, though, because some of the twists are more fun when you don't know they're coming. But I highly recommend picking it up, it's a super quick read for a 700-pager.

If you liked EIE you would like Bazzar of bad dreams.

Well, that was the episode I was most looking forward to out of this show, and it did not disappoint at all. Franco directed the hell out of it, and it was SO well acted. T.R. Knight crushed last week, but what a fucking stunner of a performance this week. That whole scene in Jake's house was stunning, even though I knew what was coming.

My only complaint with the show so far is Bill. His entire plot is totally unnecessary, and just feels contrived. I wouldn't have added that arc, but it's not like it ruins the rest of the show. I am very very happy overall.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't watched the finale, but as a lover of the book, episodes 6 and 7 totally lost me. Bill's been a somewhat odd addition all along, but up to that point, he was just a way to make Jake say out loud the things that stayed as inner monologue in the book. Generally didn't like him, but he didn't change anything. 6 and 7 he totally fucked up, though. The "is he the second shooter" plot line was pretty lame, even if only a momentary throw-away, and I absolutely hated the "OMG WE NEED HIM BUT NOW HE'S DEAD WHAT DO WE DO?!" arc of 7. Basically, the only scene from those 2 episodes that actually needed to be there was the bookie roughing Jake up and Jake's recovery process. Merge those two episodes, cut Bill's bits entirely, and they'd have been watchable. But as written, I hated them. Hoping they nail the ending; I love the passages in the book depository from the novel, and found the bits afterwards to be a much more interesting take on the Butterfly Effect than most time-travel stories end up using. Looking forward to watching, but the last couple have definitely soured my opinion about the show a bit.

I didn't particularly care for how the Bill storyline went, but I can still see why they needed him there to add more drama. My only regrets for this series is that Jake didn't get to go back earlier and try again which could have gone a "Groundhog Day" route in seeing things done over but differently. Another one is the yellow cardman who didn't translate as well on the screen. Also I apparently missed some King easter egg references, but I'll definitely rewatch the show once it's out on blu-ray. 

10 minutes ago, Bumblefeet said:

I didn't particularly care for how the Bill storyline went, but I can still see why they needed him there to add more drama. My only regrets for this series is that Jake didn't get to go back earlier and try again which could have gone a "Groundhog Day" route in seeing things done over but differently. Another one is the yellow cardman who didn't translate as well on the screen. Also I apparently missed some King easter egg references, but I'll definitely rewatch the show once it's out on blu-ray. 

There were definitely subtle things like the Yellow Card Man, Jimla, etc. that didn't translate well (or at all) as written for the show, but I'm not sure they could have done much better. I know the kids from It show up in the book - were there new easter eggs in the show?

Overall I think I'm happy with the show, I just wish they'd have kept Bill out, built the drama a bit more organically, and left room for some of the bits of the book they had to cut. I was particularly unhappy with how quickly Saidie accepted that Jake was from the future. I LOVE that part of the book, with Jake singing Honky Tonk Woman and freaking her out, then having her struggle with it for a while. Here it was just "oh that explains it! tell me more about the future lol."

8 minutes ago, axlslash said:

There were definitely subtle things like the Yellow Card Man, Jimla, etc. that didn't translate well (or at all) as written for the show, but I'm not sure they could have done much better. I know the kids from It show up in the book - were there new easter eggs in the show?

Lots of 'em actually, and in some way Beverly from Derry did make it into the series, well at least the actress that played her in the IT-miniseries. Here is a rundown per episode:

https://hiddenremote.com/2016/04/04/a-guide-to-the-stephen-king-easter-eggs-in-11-22-63/

26 minutes ago, Bumblefeet said:

Lots of 'em actually, and in some way Beverly from Derry did make it into the series, well at least the actress that played her in the IT-miniseries. Here is a rundown per episode:

https://hiddenremote.com/2016/04/04/a-guide-to-the-stephen-king-easter-eggs-in-11-22-63/

Thanks for sharing! That's a neat list, and I totally missed every last one :P

4 hours ago, Russel Nash said:

beautiful ending, i will get the book as soon as i finish whatever i am reading.

Can't recommend it enough. It's long, about 750 pages, but it reads extremely quickly, it's fun, and it does the best job of any time travel story that I've read at dealing with the various butterfly effect issues that come up. I hate to be "That Guy," especially since I'm overall happy with how the show turned out barring my complaints above, but the book blows the show away.