Didn't see it the first time, but remember it playing a couple times daily probably soon thereafter. We'd turn on MTV as soon as we got home from school and we'd call in to request it.

The video was filmed on August 1st & 2nd. The single on vinyl was first released on Sept 28th. And the first time they appeared on Headbanger's Ball was Oct 24th. Based on that, I would guess it first showed anywhere from the week of Sept 21st to early Oct.

• Like 1

I saw it only because I used to tape Headbanger's Ball every weekend. I can't remember the exact date, but am pretty sure it was during football season (fall - winter here in the US). IIRC, I didn't get around to watching it until Sunday night because of a 49er game. 

• Like 2

A little more info... on Oct 5th at a show in England... When introducing 'Welcome To The Jungle,' Axl says that TV stations in the USA act like pussies and won't play the video.

So that would rule out anytime before that date. So we're looking at a window of between like Oct 6th and maybe Oct 15th at the latest for its first airing. The video had to go through a ton of post-production edits before MTV finally agreed to play it.

Keep in mind that by the time GNR first appeared on Headbanger's Ball on Oct 24th, the WTTJ video was already #1 for a little while.

Another funny note is that their appearance on HB (which was always taped in the morning from NYC and then later broadcasted at midnight pre-recorded) came only hours after their first appearance at The Ritz on 10/23/87. If you watch the video of their HB appearance on youtube, you'll see how wasted and hungover they still are with Axl and Izzy drinking coffee. Later in the segment the host talks about they just played at The Ritz on the previous night and Slash was like "huhhhh? that was last night?" and the MTV crew on the set all started busting up and Axl mumbled something like "yeah it's the 24th now and tomorrow is the 25th when we have another show". Slash was literally out of it, they probably had to mainline something into him just to get him on that set. He was gone. Izzy was really wasted too and had that paranoid and depressed comedown look on his face, but played it off a bit better. Axl of course was in complete control.

Edited by paranoyd androyd
  • Like 2