GN'R BOOKS - Where to start from?

19 hours ago, wamzer said:

Duswalts book has a few good stories but it's a bit overwritten, real content/filler bullshit ratio is 20/80.

:lol: It got so bad reviews on Amazon that I didn`t buy it

On 16. 2. 2018 at 12:28 PM, Don-t_damn_me said:

Thanks everybody for your suggestions,I think at this point since slash is a personal hero of mine and I love insights about the recording process,I could start with his book, than maybe continue with canter's and so on ...what do you think about that? 

The only doubt would be that I don't wanna get lost in too many junkies tales and focus more on band dynamic and recording process

Slash`s book was really nice read especially that I got it after reunion, it was so heartwarming :wub: Slash taught me to listen to bass line and drummer.

Mick Wall`s Last of the Giants was interesting, okay, you already know most of the stories from other sources, but here it is in a package - and also has that kind of view of understanding from distance of years.

Other musicians books I found interesting: 

Keith Richards, who taught me about importance of silence and muted strings, he has some great insights on making music, recording music, going cold turkey, longevity and dealing with lead singer in his book Life and it`s overall very good read. If you are into band dynamics and recording stuff, you will enjoy it. Not a single mention of GNR.

Nikki Sixx (feat.Slash) Heroine diaries. Enjoyable raw piece on Sex, drugs & rock`n`roll with notes from present.

Steven Tyler`s autobiography: some very good insights on how is it to be a lead singer (and deal with your lead guitarist), how it feels to perform in front of huge audience, how music`s born and Steven Tyler has overall interesting imagination. Includes GNR.

Janis Joplin - Scars of sweet paradise. It was written long after Janis`s death mostly from interviews and talks with her friends, it does not focus on her escapades, drugs and scandals as most of books did, instead it`s trying to understand her, her endless efforts to proof herself and find happiness; how is it to loose a band which is your family and replace it with hired... A highly intelligent, sensitive weirdo with feelings right under her skin. If you are into these one of a kind sparkling strangelets, it`s a good read. I`d lie if I hadn`t seen Axl in her a thousand times... Written by non-musician, so not much talk about making music.

2 hours ago, Alja said:

Steven Tyler`s autobiography: some very good insights on how is it to be a lead singer (and deal with your lead guitarist), how it feels to perform in front of huge audience, how music`s born and Steven Tyler has overall interesting imagination. Includes GNR.

if you liked tyler's book then Walk This Way is a must read for you

(if you haven't read it yet!)

strongly recommended!

https://www.amazon.com/Walk-This-Way-Autobiography-Aerosmith/dp/0060515805/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1518981097&sr=1-1&keywords=walk+this+way+aerosmith 

• Thanks 1