IGOR - Tyler the Creator

Jakey Styley

Anyone else listening to this album? It's incredible. 

It's written, arranged, and produced entirely by him. There are a few rap verses spread around, but he said this wouldn't be a rap album and it's not. I don't know of another artist around the genre who has continued to improve his craft on each album like he has. To watch him grow from that kinda annoying skaterkid using shocklyrics in 2011 to a full fledged multi-instrumentalist artist has been really fun. He has such a good sense of melody.

I wondered how he was gonna handle being gay in his lyrics after coming out on Flower Boy, and he just embraced it entirely on here. Thematically, its a breakup album about his secret gay lover who won't break up with his girlfriend and come out to be with Tyler. Super personal, where else are you gonna hear a perspective like that on an album?

My only complaints are that, well, Tyler is not a good singer and he has always said this. He works around this by either using a bunch of effects (which sometimes come to sound a little too strange) or employing featured artists to sing his melodies, a couple of which are strange choices.

also, he did an entire concert the other night in this outfit

• Like 1