Oasis sell 250,000 tickets in one morning!!!!!!!!!

supernova

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i mean to be honest its pointless just listing songs, they are a band to discover, and im sure you will like them if you give them a chance, most people on here (especially americans) dont like them because of there attitude and arrogance, but i think its what makes them great, and the music just speaks for itself, buy their albums! :D

1. Definitely Maybe

2 Whats the story? (morning glory)

3. Be Here Now

4. The Masterplan

5. Standing On The Shoulder Of GIants

6. Familiar to millions

7. Heathen Chemistry

I'm a big Oasis fan too. They never cracked America as they're a truly British band - they sung about what it was like to be British in Thatcher's era and how Blair was supposed to be this saviour. In the same way that the Kinks never really cracked the States cos of they're Britishness (altho how anyone can listen to Waterloo Sunset and not be amazed out how they describe a shit part of london in such a romantic way is beyond me!).

I was at the gig where they recorded Familiar to Millions (actually on second thoughts I was their on the Friday and I think they recorded the Saturday).

If you wanna get into Oasis then their first two albums are must buys. Definintely Maybe is the definitive BritPop album - it's the Oasis version of Appetite. And What's the Story is just an unreal album, almost every track is perfect.

Personally I'm a big fan of Be Here Now, it's epic, every song just echoes what Oasis are all about. They're all about 8 minutes long, and have about 20 layers of guitar! Noel once said they he hated the album but if he wanted to remember his coke'd up glory years then he could listen to Be Here Now. This was Oasis at the peak, when they believed they could do no wrong. The critics hate the album, but personally I think it personifies Oasis perfectly!

The Masterplan is a truly awesome album too... So many classics on it, and they're just the B-Sides. The title track of the album, and Acquinese (sp?) are miles better than any single released by those cocks from Blur. Out of their recent B-sides not on the album, well Idler's Dream, and Cigarettes in Hell are both classics, but the B-sides seem to be gradually getting worse.

Standing on the Shoulder of Giants was Oasis going all experimental but their are some good tunes on it. I can't say I've listened to it in a long time however.

Familiar to Millions is a live album and the closest Oasis have got to releasing a Best of... It was a truly momentous gig, their biggest since Knebworth and was probably the last time they have performed at such a good level to such a big audience (I am bias, I was their!)

Heathen Chemistry saw Oasis return to their routes, classic songs like Stop Crying Your Heart Out and Little by Little. Worth getting but probably the worst Oasis album except Giants...

And as for the new album, well Noel scrapped the whole thing after their summer festival performance and has decided to re-write it... He claims it's "some of the best fucking music I've ever written" but as Jonathan Ross said to him in an interview recently "have you ever thought anything you've written isn't the greatest fucking thing of all time". Of the two songs we've heard I quite like A bell will ring but the other one The meaning of soul or whatever it's called is awful.

In truth Oasis are incredible... They're the biggest British band since the Smiths and one stage probably where the biggest band in the world. But these days their new music seems to be dated. I just think they were a product of their time and they came along and saved the music industry when Cobain died. I'm not convinced that in the modern music industry Oasis can achieve their old heights. But who knows...

If you don't have any Oasis tracks in your CD collection then shame on you... They are a truly amazing band and I know supernova will agree with me on that one!

Who the hell wants to see this band???

I mean..."Blair was supposed to be the saviour" shit. Come on...a saviour for what? And how can one compare them to The KINKS who are like the second biggest British band ever? It really doesn't get in my head.

I have listened to really tons of music, from Punk to storytelling rock.Also OASIS...but why there is such a mania for some guys who pretend to be the reinacarnation of John Lennon, that's one thing I won't understand.

I mean..."Blair was supposed to be the saviour" shit. Come on...a saviour for what? And how can one compare them to The KINKS who are like the second biggest British band ever?  It really doesn't get in my head.

I have listened to really tons of music, from Punk to storytelling rock.Also OASIS...but why there is such a mania for some guys who pretend to be the reinacarnation of John Lennon, that's one thing I won't understand.

The Blair was supposed to be a saviour comment is reflective of how Britain was in the mid 90s? Do you have any idea how sick the working class (people like the Gallaghers) were of Conservative Britain.

I know viewing Blair as a saviour now seems almost surreal but at the time he was needed. Bare in mind he won the 97 election by a landslide. Just because he's not as popular now doesn't mean he wasn't pre-being elected.

As for the Kinks comment well I wasn't saying they are similar I am saying they are both British bands who the States never took to. The reason for this being that they both write about being British. Why would 99% of the people in US give a shit about that? And also do you think messers Jagger, Richards and Wood would argue that that the Kinks were the 2nd biggest British band ever? No... me neither.

And with regard to your comment about how you can't understand why they are popular? Well people say ignorance is bliss. Oasis wrote uplifting music that represented their era better than any other band at the time. If you don't believe me go and watch a documentary about the BritPop era called "Live Forever".

Just because you don't personally like them doesn't mean their a shit band. They are undoubtedly the biggest band in the UK since Nirvana (who I personally don't like but still recognise they were a big band)...

*edit* I've just check your profile and seen that you are from Romania. I therefore don't expect you to get it. They were band who's aim was to appeal to people in Britain

Edited by failure_to_communicate

I mean..."Blair was supposed to be the saviour" shit. Come on...a saviour for what? And how can one compare them to The KINKS who are like the second biggest British band ever? It really doesn't get in my head.

says the twisted sister fan.

seriously have you ever tried to educate yourself about music? and how it appeals to people? sure twisted sister might sound fucking great in a club at 2am when your out of it but can you seriously respect the merits of those fucking bands like twisted sister and cinderella and motley crue, can you fuck! :)

I mean..."Blair was supposed to be the saviour" shit. Come on...a saviour for what? And how can one compare them to The KINKS who are like the second biggest British band ever?  It really doesn't get in my head.

seriously have you ever tried to educate yourself about music? and how it appeals to people? sure twisted sister might sound fucking great in a club at 2am when your out of it but can you seriously respect the merits of those fucking bands like twisted sister and cinderella and motley crue, can you fuck! :)

You know, you have a point, but, on the flipside, you're doing just what you're accusing him of doing. Oasis is a half rate pop rock band who had limited success outside of Europe, but to hear them tell it, they're the frickin Beatles. At least Twisted Sister doesn't claim to be the "saviors of rock", and stays within their limitations. You know, Oasis is a lot like Tigger... they fail because they don't know their limitations.

You know, you have a point, but, on the flipside, you're doing just what you're accusing him of doing. Oasis is a half rate pop rock band who had limited success outside of Europe, but to hear them tell it, they're the frickin Beatles. At least Twisted Sister doesn't claim to be the "saviors of rock", and stays within their limitations. You know, Oasis is a lot like Tigger... they fail because they don't know their limitations.

well in america oasis sold 7 million albums.

worldwide album sales are between 50-60 million.

and your right, Liam Gallagher saying he was bigger than jesus and bigger than the beatles probably damaged their career, but again if you fault oasis for saying these things, its as if you feel threatened by them. Their music is great and thats it.

This is what noel gallagher has said

"if you tell everyone your the biggest band in the world, 50% are gonna believe ya"

and no doubt oasis were the biggest band in the world for 2-3 years.

*edit* I've just check your profile and seen that you are from Romania. I therefore don't expect you to get it. They were band who's aim was to appeal to people in Britain

Now that's really funny.

Your last comment would mean I wouldn't like The Kinks either who are , YES ARGUABLY, the 2nd biggest British RnR band , because you said yourself they just apply for British people?

Let's take Bruce Springsteen for example who's been always singing about thw American Working class...well what??? Does this mean he sucks , ot I think he sucks, just because he doesn't sing about the Romanian working class?

Shit, no!

Hehe...well...your post is just ridiculouse and i have no clue why i answer.Probably because I want to be ridiculouse too.

Well, ok then.

You're accusing me of not educating myself in music.Well...

Actually TWISTED SISTER are a band who actually revolutioned rock music. It might sound funny but they really tried to do it in a funny but also rebeliouse way.

Have you looked what names are playing on the Twisted Sister Tribute cd?Have you actually listened to STAY HUNGRY which is a masterpiece that deserevs it's place on the same shelf with Apetite for Destruction and Back In Black.

What have Oasis created.Let me try to quote one of the Gallaghers:" Why should we try to write something new if so much has been written before?"or something similar...

Well, that just about says it.

Motley Crue - it's not a must to like them.They couldn't even play their instruments sometimes but they gave back SEX, DRUGS AND ROCK 'n' ROLL to people. One may say that's not really good but hey, Guns N' Roses were doing the same with Apetite. And besides, Motley Crue have at least 3 classic albums and they will 100% be rememebered for much longer than OASIS.

That you bring up Cinderella in this discussion proves you have no clue about Cinderella, you have no idea what their albums sound live.

CINDERELLA is the most BLUES influenced band of the 80s. Actually they are purte blues rock. Tom Keifer is in my and not only my opinion the male version of Janis Joplin.Their songs are excellent and even their 90s albums like STILL CLIMBING are a class of their own.

Not to remember your opinion on VAN HAEN...you said their 3 best songs are Jump, Panama and Erruption...that's like D'oh!

So now, you are teaching me lessons about music education?I mean you, who judges a band by their appeearence, by their big singles and by the current you heard they would fit in. What's this if not prejudice?

On the other hand I listened to EVERYTHING...even to britpop and there's a band I quite enjoyed namely THE VERVE. There's another band you prbably never heard of called ZOB who I actually loved. But hell, I am not music educated.

One more thing: something like education in music shouldn't exist. We should listen to what applies to us, to what makes us feel good. But we should give bands a chance. I certainly listened to Oasis but I still wonder how comes somebody like them have this succes and other British bands who created something UNIQUE like URIAH HEEP get to be overlooked. I mean i haven't seen anyone on this board saying that he listenes to them. Still songs like July Morning, Lady in Black or Easy Living are masterpieces...but that's another topic.

50-60 million eh???

well...that would mean they easily sold out bands like Metallica, Guns N' Roses or Aerosmith outside America and it would also mean they sold as much as U2 or Bon Jovi outside America.Wouldn't be anything wrong with it, if these bands didn't have twice as long careers.

Well...you don't know shit!How old are you? I mean, the last time I've seen someone making up that kind of numbers was when a 15 year old boy tried to tell me how much bigger Megadeth are than Metallica.

50-60 million eh???

well...that would mean they easily sold out bands like Metallica, Guns N' Roses or Aerosmith outside America and it would also mean they sold as much as U2 or Bon Jovi outside America.Wouldn't be anything wrong with it, if these bands didn't have twice as long careers.

Well...you don't know shit!How old are you? I mean, the last time I've seen someone making up that kind of numbers was when a 15 year old boy tried to tell me how much bigger Megadeth are than Metallica.

who cares how many albums they have sold? Ive noticed you cannot speak very coherently as english i presume isnt your first language? so i dont understand what your saying, accusing me of being a childish 15 year old? and what are you talking about making up numbers?!?!? I havent made up any numbers?

You know, the great thing about the internet is you can't tell if I'm worked up or not. Oasis was not the biggest band in the world for 2-3 years. They got little radio play outside of wonderwall in the U.S. and it's great for them to say that "We can't make everyone like us, so we'll just piss the rest off" so they can claim people care, but that is self important circular logic. They are not very good, they're kinda poppy, and their pompousness is just icing on the cake. People are willing to put up with asses if they are good, Oasis just isn't good.

You know, the great thing about the internet is you can't tell if I'm worked up or not. Oasis was not the biggest band in the world for 2-3 years. They got little radio play outside of wonderwall in the U.S. and it's great for them to say that "We can't make everyone like us, so we'll just piss the rest off" so they can claim people care, but that is self important circular logic. They are not very good, they're kinda poppy, and their pompousness is just icing on the cake. People are willing to put up with asses if they are good, Oasis just isn't good.

Selling 18.2 Million albums in a year doesn't really happen uness you're good...

The album? What's the Story (Morning Glory) The year? 1996...

1. Oasis saved British music (FACT)

2. Oasis's Knebworth concert (in 97 or 98) was the biggest one ever in Britain for a single artist at the time (FACT) (Robbie fucking Williams holds that record now!)...

3. What's the Story Morning Glory was voted 6th best album of all time (FACT)... 4. Definately Maybe was the first debut album to out sell Appetite for Destruction in the UK (FACT).

5. What's the story morning glory debuted at Number 4 in the US Charts (FACT)

6. Oasis have sold out gigs all around the world and headlined the Fuji Festival in Japan twice, and Rock in Rio 3 (FACT)

7. The Gallagher brothers were hailed as the saviours of Rock and Roll when they released the single Some Might Say (FACT)

8. The "Roll With It vs Country House" release week created the biggest selling Number 2 in the UK ever (FACT)

9. None of the above applies to Twisted Sister (FACT)

10. People who; criticise Oasis; describe them as poppy (Liam Gallagher was famously described as the best parts of John Lennon and John Lydon mixed together - yeah, real fucking poppy!); who fail to see the social impact they had on a generation; who generally fail to understand the significance of Oasis on the UK as are a whole; are moronic, ignorant and not even worth arguing with. (FACT)