Most Underated/Overated Guitarist

graemelynch2k5

Most Underated : Dave Gilmour

Most Overated : Joe Satriani or Tom Morello

Morello or Satriani because im not into Shredding or anything and i didnt like RATM. David Gilmour because...well simply he is an amazing guitarist with pure emotion in his solo's. I'm not a fan of random shredding or tapping or anythin like that. Personally i think its a lot harder to write a Dave Gilmour style emotional solo than some random crap played at 6000bps or whatever

What are you're Most Underated/Overated Guitarist????

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grossly Underratted-Mick Mars,the Gallaghers

Distrubingly Overratted-JIMMY PAGE -Yes,I went there.I'm gonna get so much shit for this one but honestly,plenty of musicians have done much more then Page yet get nowhere near the attention he gets.

Underrated - Neal Schon.

Overrated - Kirk Hammet.

Kirk nowdays isn't the best. Back in the late 80's early 90's Kirk was a hell of a guitarist.

If you wanna talk strictly guitar skills there are a whole lot of guitarists better then him.

Kirk was a student of Satriani, Satriani can turn Linkin Park's guitarist into a Kirk Hammet. Hammet is not much of a guitar wizard. He wrote some great solos and riffs, but guitar skills wise he's just a good guitarist, surely not on the level of godness everybody make him. Therefore he is overrated.

Underrated - Neal Schon.

Overrated - Kirk Hammet.

Kirk nowdays isn't the best. Back in the late 80's early 90's Kirk was a hell of a guitarist.

If you wanna talk strictly guitar skills there are a whole lot of guitarists better then him.

Kirk was a student of Satriani, Satriani can turn Linkin Park's guitarist into a Kirk Hammet. Hammet is not much of a guitar wizard. He wrote some great solos and riffs, but guitar skills wise he's just a good guitarist, surely not on the level of godness everybody make him. Therefore he is overrated.

It's true that people think of him as a god. Kirk is not a god, he is a great guitarist. You can't compare Hammet to Slash, Page, Hendrix etc. etc. He isn't in that league, but he sure can play wicked. And that Satriani thing, I don't think he could turn Linkin Park's guitarist into a Kirk Hammet.

Yeh but I said it too, so please, allow me to take half the beatings :P

Thank god I'm not alone :D ...I don't see how Page gets all this credit but BETTER guitarists like Angus,Slash,Joe Perry ,don't even get half the respect he does

angus,slash and joe perry merley wroked on what jimmy page left

he laid the foundations for hard rock guitar and solos.

Oh, watcho out there, Ron.

Now all the chicken-raping-bucket-loving bastards will jump on you with their bulletproof "You want emotion? Listen to "for mom"".

No! That track blows ass and is as emotional as the shoes I'm wearing.

Buckethead might be a technical guitar player, really technical. But he's a shit guitarist, I hate almost every track he ever produced, and i can't understand how people enjoy that kind of shit.

About Kirk. He's a good guitarist, and he came up with lotsa cool shit. But there are guitarists way better than him that don't get half of his recognition. If Kirk played in RATT or something, he would get nothing but a huge pile of shit. He's in Metallica, he gets promoted to god status.

Metallica just might be the most overrated band ever. don't get me wrong, they kicked some ass. But damn, they are not the best band ever and shouldn't be treated like one.

Thank god I'm not alone :D ...I don't see how Page gets all this credit but BETTER guitarists like Angus,Slash,Joe Perry ,don't even get half the respect he does

angus,slash and joe perry merley wroked on what jimmy page left

he laid the foundations for hard rock guitar and solos.

No he didn't.Slash finished what Hendrix started.Angus' sound is different from what Page has done.Young has done a lot more as well. Perry was influenced by Page but took that sound in a different direction.

Another guitarist who had absolutely no influence from Page and has gone farther with his work is Brian May.

Metallica just might be the most overrated band ever. don't get me wrong, they kicked some ass. But damn, they are not the best band ever and shouldn't be treated like one.

Metallica is the 7th biggest selling artist in US. I think that says something. Metallica isn't overrated, actually Load and Re-Load are underrated. No one respects Metallica these days, mainly because of St. Anger.

Metallica is the 7th biggest selling artist in US. I think that says something. Metallica isn't overrated, actually Load and Re-Load are underrated. No one respects Metallica these days, mainly because of St. Anger.

BS.

a - sales mean exactly SHIT. Britney Spears sells a lot too.

b - Load is crap. ReLoad is the father of all craps, so bad I can't even count the number of ways it sucks. St. Anger I won't even talk about. This is a pile of shit and puke cooked with the pussy juice of a crack whore put on a piece of round plastic.

Oh, watcho out there, Ron.

Now all the chicken-raping-bucket-loving bastards will jump on you with their bulletproof "You want emotion? Listen to "for mom"".

No! That track blows ass and is as emotional as the shoes I'm wearing.

Buckethead might be a technical guitar player, really technical. But he's a shit guitarist, I hate almost every track he ever produced, and i can't understand how people enjoy that kind of shit.

About Kirk. He's a good guitarist, and he came up with lotsa cool shit. But there are guitarists way better than him that don't get half of his recognition. If Kirk played in RATT or something, he would get nothing but a huge pile of shit. He's in Metallica, he gets promoted to god status.

I'm wearing my titanium boxers with safety-lock just to be sure. Thanks for the warning! ;)

What you said about Kirk is pretty true. But the band always contributes to the commercial fame. Same thing would go for Slash and Guns n' Roses. Or for Joe Perry and Aerosmith. Just some examples. You can't escape that. Let's just agree that Kirk DID kick a lot of ass :)

He did kick ass. And he will start kicking the ass again. It's all a matter of time! B)

gary moore is an amazing guitarist actually

but i would say:

underrated : mick mars/frank zappa

overrated : joe satriani

Good fucking call man! Of all the underrated guitarists out there, Zappa never once popped into my mind. The man was great!

man I was playing Come As You Are once and a friend who never touched a guitar managed to play the song in his first try using 1 finger, by just watching me do it.

Overrated - Kurt Cobain

Underrated - Mick Taylor

He played some of the best Stones solos and he played lead on 3 of the 4 most popular Stones albums. Everyone thought Keith was lead at that time but he was stoned most of the time. Mick Taylor made Keith's Happy even greater with a slide guitar - And his solo on Shine A Light is unbelievable. Keith is better though.