Most Underated/Overated Guitarist

graemelynch2k5

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ed Wynne & Steve Hillage are jsut completely underrated really...

& yeha for overrated I'd say kerry king...I just really don't think he's good at all...

Ha! Everytime I see that sun I think it's one of my own ;)

Mand but Ed Wynne rocks though, and so does Stig Møller and Tømrerclaus and Jorma Kaukonen and Bald Ole and Giese ( <_< I can't believe you didn't mention them!)

Av and.

Ha.

I think

that

Jimmy Page!

is

deadoverrated! :mellow:

No really.

Oh, watcho out there, Ron.

Now all the chicken-raping-bucket-loving bastards will jump on you with their bulletproof "You want emotion? Listen to "for mom"".

No! That track blows ass and is as emotional as the shoes I'm wearing.

Buckethead might be a technical guitar player, really technical. But he's a shit guitarist, I hate almost every track he ever produced, and i can't understand how people enjoy that kind of shit.

thing is love, there's no way at all you can estimate how much emotion, feeling, or heart is being put into a song unless you're the actual bastard guitarist yourself, long drawn out reverb-y wwweeeeoooooooow solos dont qualify as emotional just cos they're long drawn out and reverb-y, there's an amount of emotion put into everything every guitarist does, otherwise you wouldnt be doing it, be it overblown farty solos or be it a load of power chords mashed together or a fuck load of riffs, everything a guitarist writes means something to them.

hope this helps

xxxx

Now all the chicken-raping-bucket-loving bastards will jump on you with their bulletproof "You want emotion? Listen to "for mom"".

Buckethead might be a technical guitar player, really technical. But he's a shit guitarist, I hate almost every track he ever produced, and i can't understand how people enjoy that kind of shit.

thing is love, there's no way at all you can estimate how much emotion, feeling, or heart is being put into a song unless you're the actual bastard guitarist yourself, long drawn out reverb-y wwweeeeoooooooow solos dont qualify as emotional just cos they're long drawn out and reverb-y, there's an amount of emotion put into everything every guitarist does, otherwise you wouldnt be doing it, be it overblown farty solos or be it a load of power chords mashed together or a fuck load of riffs, everything a guitarist writes means something to them.

hope this helps

xxxx

YOU TELL HIM MR. F.!!

i'll be right with you when i say bhead is one of the best....poppulation override...not all technical album...just mindblowimg sometimes

hope this helps

xxxx

I agree with what you are saying, sure every guitarist puts emotion into his work. But the question is, how much emotion is conveyed to the listener?

I haven't listened to BH's solo stuff, so I can't comment on that. Nobody can match Slash's solos when it comes to emotion...not for me at least...the solos in Estranged being his absolute best IMO. He's got a ton of other great ones, but I'm sure I don't have to tell anyone here that. You Got No Right is my favorite off of Contraband.

There are probably certain characteristics to a sound that help convey emotion...I think long, drawn-out and reverby is one of them. That's not to say all guitarists should do this, but it works.

Edited by KBear

About Kirk. He's a good guitarist, and he came up with lotsa cool shit. But there are guitarists way better than him that don't get half of his recognition. If Kirk played in RATT or something, he would get nothing but a huge pile of shit. He's in Metallica, he gets promoted to god status.

Metallica just might be the most overrated band ever. don't get me wrong, they kicked some ass. But damn, they are not the best band ever and shouldn't be treated like one.

I agree and disagree. "Colma" is shitty ambient music, not in-depth emotional music. However, a lot of Buckethead's work has soul/feeling to it. Buckethead is obviously technically proficienct, but that does not mean he is void of any emotion.