Lipsyncing

username

If you caught one of your favorite bands lipsyncing, would you boycot them?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Let's imagine you're going to a band you really like. You own their albums, you love their music, and now you're gonna see them live. During the live show however, you notice the're not really playing live, but lipsyncing and playing along with a tape or something.

How would you react?

Would you buy their next album?

Would you ever want to have anything to do with them again?

Would you go see them live again when you have a chance?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personaly, yes I think I would boycot them.

Oh, man. Tough one.

Personally, I would still buy their next record (given I loved the music, of course) - but I doubt I'd be as eager to go to another gig of theirs. I'd feel pretty much betrayed, to be honest.

Edited by Zillah

depends, coz motley crue use some recording samples as backing vocals on girls girls girls and dr feelgood, but it doesnt really detract from the song - its just where possible over production cant be reproduced by just the 4 of em, and without it it would take something away from the song.

i wouldnt be too impressed if they just mimed the whole lot, and i reckon it would kind of make me lose some 'respect' - if it is 'respect' i hold for em.

it depends, if it meant the person could not sing live at all meaning their voice was shit, id boycott them because it would mean the album was fake too, but if they had already proven themselves then i guess id lose respect but still buy there albums.

It really depends on the reason WHY they are lip synching.

If the singer had a fucked voice and just couldn't sing, I could appreciate them miming PROVIDING he does alot of good movement as a frontman.

However, if they are doing it just because they are bone idle. Then yes I would boycott them, a band that obviously has no respect for it's fan doesn't deserve the fans money.

If the guitarist is miming there is simply no excuse, Bar a hand injury, for him to be on the stage at all.

During this MTV performance Franz Ferdinand made an awful version of Take Me Out live, but soon after Gwen Stefani lyp schynced. I think that artists are allowed to change their sound a little in mixing, and play not lypshynching (sorry for spelling) even if they do an awful performance. Lipshynching should go down!

depends, coz motley crue use some recording samples as backing vocals on girls girls girls and dr feelgood, but it doesnt really detract from the song - its just where possible over production cant be reproduced by just the 4 of em, and without it it would take something away from the song.

i wouldnt be too impressed if they just mimed the whole lot, and i reckon it would kind of make me lose some 'respect' - if it is 'respect' i hold for em.

Queen did the same thing with the middle part of Bohemian Rhapsody. So I understand what you mean. But I don't think that is ripping of the croud. It's just an impossible bit of a song to do live. So..ok. But that's different from entire songs, or even worse, entire shows.

I heard that Zeppelin never performed Fool In The Rain live b/c it was too difficult a song to pull off what with the heavy keyboard emphasis. Just thought I'd throw that in.

To answer your question, as long as the band had already proven themselves both in the studio and live, then I see no reason to boycott them. Even if they do lipsynch, they are the real deal and it's probably an isolated event...and why should I suffer not listening to music I like.

So it all depends on the circumstances.