The Project is annoying....

Mr_Sparkle

... but one thing is for damn sure A little competition can only push the rock world to new hieghths....

True.

I look forward to hearing albums from both Axl's new band and the old Gunners.  It just gives us all twice as much REAL ROCK to listen to again.  

And btw, I have no problem with them using "The Guns" name because that's who they were.

[

... What Axl liked to do was pick and chose. Dictate what sound went there and what should go there...... in the end he stopped rehearsing with the band all together. Kind of like "here you guys play it like I want it and then I'll come in when I see fit and finish it off ect...Not like a band at all...

Axl always controlled and dictated the direction the band took. But I get the impression that once they all  tasted success, they all developed egos and they all wanted a say in the direction the band took.  That's why - in my opinion - all are equally to blame for the band's breakup.

The point is, it's just lame... they should move their seperate ways... slash said in the interview they would play old guns n roses songs.. that's stupid..  Guns N Roses songs should not be played without Axl singing them...  Voice is totatly different then guitar/bass/drum parts... You can rewrite songs, but if i see courtney love singing it's so easy i am gonna puke.

Actually, Slash said they would play some Guns' songs. And he made a point of saying they would stay away from ones like Jungle and November Rain that were associated too much with Axl.  

But you're right. It won't be the same without Axl's voice.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it annoying that the project is putting together an album.. When each of them said they would not get back together with guns n roses...  If Izzy was going to be part of it for sure... i am sure if there would have been some ass kissing and a few apologies they could have got axl back in since Izzy is the most important part here...  I feel a bit cheated.. Like they are trying to play some stupid game here... they would have never done this if Axl wouldn't have started up a new guns n roese... Guess the bright side is there will be basically 2 different guns n roses so it's twice as much good material...  Only reason i have any faith in this 'Project' is because Izzy is part of it.. The others have proven their solo ability's are pure crap... SnakePit is garbage.. so is anything Duff has done... Izzy is the only solid one besides axl to put foruth a decent effort to make a great album...    :-/

DUDE, NOW U KNOW WHY AXL MADE THOSE FUCKERS  sign those paper of the name rights. like said 1,000 times had he not gnr would of gone on all this time with a different singer(sebastian bach?)

It's quite lame that the "Great" Slash and co. feel the need to live off Axl's publicity.

I wish them the greatest of failures.

matts still in the resurgencent 'THE CULT" and Slash has a decent Snakepit following. IZZy doesn't give a rats ass about fame or money just his piece of mind. all in all they are saying to themselves "where did it all go wrong?" so they are not complete failures just yet.

but imagine the Stones without Mick singing, or Creed without Scott Sapp singing, Its the lead singer thing. Pure and simple.

on that same note there is always the exceptions. ac/dc with Brian Johnson, Pink floyd with david gilmore, and of course VAN HALEN with SAMMY HAGAR(i luv sammy but not in VAN HALEN take d. lee roth anytime)....2 name a few.

NEW GNR 4 LIFE!!

2-SWEET!!

Heres my take on it..

Why not have the old band put together some material? "The Guns"  Ok. See it as a play on the GNR name but ya know what?THEY WERE THE GUNS! These fellas were there too. It wasn't like they didn't earn the right to carry on. Its not like they were "hired guns" in GNRs yesterdays. I mean they lugged thier own gear around on the sunset stip all to being catered to on thier own jet. These are the members of GUns and Roses- Not johnny come latelys.. MOST of the music we love was written by them..  They were instrumental in getting the music out. Why shouldn't they get in on the bandwagon? WHats wrong with them capitilizing on thier efforts too? I don't think any of them wanted GNR to end as it was. It was issues with AXl who refused to budge and inch on some issues.

So Axl won the name and wrote a new chapter for GNR'S legacy and he brutally punished them for not sharing his vision of what GNR should be... fine just like a divorce.. each side has its camp. To say these guys have nothing to give without AXl is a serious underestimation. US lead singers always get the glory but we aint sh*t without the music. If Axl would have been singing with any other group in Hollywood I doubt they would have made it as far as they did. I was in Hollywood in the 80's and there were musicians light years ahead of GNR technique wise.  When these guys were playing the clubs they were like a gang. They had each others back. That does make a difference.

Axls been calling these fellas down for years...saying it was like prison working with these guys professionaly and distasteful personally. Slash aint nothing but a Druggie..only wants to write about drugs ect....

If they don't do it cuz it can be done and for the faithful fans then do it for the sake of PRIDE. If they have it in them the only thing that suffers is Axls ego. IF not then it settles a score of issues.Maybe the old band was washed up and incapable of going a new direction. Maybe they only had one ore two modes of thinking. Maybe they could only write AFD2- 3- 4

Maybe Axl is right...he got sick of picking these guys up and dragging them along his illusion. Maybe he has a point about just who got them to where they are now. We may never really know or even care depending on our particular bias but one thing is for damn sure A little competition can only push the rock world to new hieghths. Axl didn't exactly spend every day and every working hour on Chinese Democracy for the last 9 years..that is a myth. Im sure he put a great deal of time and thought into it but not 9 years worth of time.

If this little project"the guns" will shut  some people up and settle this insane debate Im all for it and I will support it by going to thier show and listning to thier CD's. The key will be the vocals though this much I admit to.

Totally agree!

Even if they did want to capitalise of GNR which i dont really thing they do, then why the fuck shouldn't they?

The point is, it's just lame... they should move their seperate ways... slash said in the interview they would play old guns n roses songs.. that's stupid..  Guns N Roses songs should not be played without Axl singing them...  Voice is totatly different then guitar/bass/drum parts... You can rewrite songs, but if i see courtney love singing it's so easy i am gonna puke.

I think one of the main things that came out of that article is that they werent going to be a Guns N Roses reunion, and that they were going to be a new band. He went out of his way to say that they would play some guns songs, but would steer clear of songs like WTTJ which were toooo guns n roses...

If anything, its not as though your arguement couldn't be put on Axl for his new band, i mean they play a whole GNR set! and yes, he has the vocals down, but i mean he doesn't own the songs. He might own the name, but he doesn't own the songs, and the other guys out there certainly have no more right to be playing those songs than the old guys for sure!

And you say you say axl is irreplaceable and that no-one has the right to sing his words, fine yes thats right, but does that mean that say bucket or finck have the right to play slash's solo's? They are exactly the same situations.

Axl wrote the lyrics and the base parts (not Bass) on many of thier songs  fleshed it out what direction he wanted to go and then let the band put the "meat on it"solos ect...Some of GNRs best songs were colaborations..elements of many different peoples ideas. occasionally there is asong like November rain that is 100% an individuals effort.  

Thats exactly right. Thats what made it a band and not an Axl Rose solo act.

And not everyone were attracted to GRN for lyrics and singing. I for one was attracted for the riffs and guitarwork, and axl was a mere bonus!

yeah and they would have sold maybe 1000 almbums

that my friends is called "anti old gnr sentiment"

I mean i know you obviously like the old band, but to say that they would only sell 1000 albums or whatever kinda degrades the old band doesn't it?

not really... it never would have worked without Axl... And now it's working with Axl and NONE of the other band members.  Where do i get my sh*t from?  It's called life... Everyone can see through Slashes butt kissing of Axl... Slash brought his guitar to the Vegas show he was so desperate to play with Axl... Of course he is full of sh*it... and you are learning from him well i see.

not really... it never would have worked without Axl... And now it's working with Axl and NONE of the other band members.  Where do i get my sh*t from?  It's called life... Everyone can see through Slashes butt kissing of Axl... Slash brought his guitar to the Vegas show he was so desperate to play with Axl... Of course he is full of sh*it... and you are learning from him well i see.

Dude, you my friend, are full of sh*t.......

Not slash, YOU!

I mean WTF, you really think that slash wants to suck up to axl? I mean slash is diplomatic and doesn't hold any grudges. Just becuase slash doesn't badmouth axl everytime he gets a chance too. Mbe axl should take a page out of slash's book. And how the fuck do you know that slash brought his guitar to vegas???

You have more crap than the thames river my friend!

"The point is, it's just lame... they should move their seperate ways... slash said in the interview they would play old guns n roses songs.. that's stupid..  Guns N Roses songs should not be played without Axl singing them...  Voice is totatly different then guitar/bass/drum parts... You can rewrite songs, but if i see courtney love singing it's so easy i am gonna puke.¨"

mr sparkle that's the most stupid argument i've ever read in here...

1) why shouldn't they play gnr songs ?? they're theirs .. they do whatever they want with them...

2) voice is not different than guitar/bass/drums. it's just a "built-in" instrument too. Also how the f*ck can you say that to all gnr fans the most important element was axl's voice ? are you in everyones mind ??

3) i seriously doubt we will see courtney love singing.. however we've already seen enrique inglesias and nsync's guitarist play the songs we've grown up with.. doesn't that make you puke ?

"not really... it never would have worked without Axl... And now it's working with Axl and NONE of the other band members."

same for this..

1) we haven't seen it working yet ,because there is no album (you know those things that people buy, put it in the stereo and listen to..) and the sales of the tour haven't been the best they could be until now.

2)of course, everyone who promotes himself can make it without the other members.. when did you last see slash or duff playing in a "GNR" gig without axl ? the gnr name is an advantage. and axl has that advantage now and it's lame that he uses it... so don't compare when not in equal terms..

"but imagine the Stones without Mick singing, or Creed without Scott Sapp singing, Its the lead singer thing. Pure and simple."

one answer: imagine led zep without jimmy page, ac/dc without angus young, aerosmith without joe perry, sabbath without iommi, fleetwood mac without peter green, allman brothers without duane allman,etc etc ...

I love the way HD put this into perspective in the last paragraph , I think that the lead gutarist is just as important as the frontman , even though Axl has that distinctive voice and that can't be changed were as The chords and sounds of the gutiar will always sound as they should no matter who's playin ( if they play it right ) , It doesn't really matter because Slash/Izzy wrote the Music and it means the most for them because it's thiers . 2)  A lot of the songs that Axl is performing with GnR were also written by Izzy and Duff and Slash but a lot of people don't mind that fact because it's ok as long as they hear Axl's voice doing it but people seem to think The Project should steer clear of GNR tunes because it won't sound the same with someone else's voice , Well F8ck that the Project should do as many old Guns tunes as they want because the wrote them as well it's thier music to , why shouldn't they be allowed to perform what they wrote I mean how dumb does that actually sound  ??? , 3) This is kinda of an example of replacing members ( take it for what it's worth ) Van Halen replaced seemingly irreplaceable Diamond dave and went on to continued success , now what if they tried to replace Eddie .. Hmmm. That goes to show that not everything revloves around the voice that you hear singing the songs , So what couldn't this work fo the Project .

Peace GnR Nation  8)

LOL, ok.. well... Before they were signed to Geffen.. Slash had a formula on how people would get paid for their contributions... it was broken down by, melody, lyrics, and a few other things... After the formula Axl was paid 41%.  So, that proves right there Axl was the driving force behind the music... That was also how he won the court case... So, all due respect... he should play the GnR songs.. not The Project with some lame singer.

even if he wrote 41% ,which i seriously doubt (and i think nobody except the old members can assure this) what is the rest 59% ?? junk ? if my arithmetic skills are still fine after a hard day then it must be over half of the stuff not written by axl right ? btw, axl also picked the songs they would put in the record, so he could pick his even if the other guys' were better songs.. for example isn't my world part of that 41% ? if this is the case then make it 40% ..  so that's kind of a lame excuse ...

it's a known fact that slash is the one who made this forumla.. so, 1 person was responisble for 41% and 4 others were the rest... just shows who was the most say in everything.. and yes, if it wansn't for axl and his influance on the others music.. it would have sucked

And not everyone were attracted to GRN for lyrics and singing. I for one was attracted for the riffs and guitarwork, and axl was a mere bonus!

Is this a joke?  :o

How can you possibly think Axl's lyrics and vocals were secondary or -- as you say --  ''bonus'' to the guitar riffs.  That's insane!  Seek help.

.. A lot of the songs that Axl is performing with GnR were also written by Izzy and Duff and Slash but a lot of people don't mind that fact because it's ok as long as they hear Axl's voice doing it but people seem to think The Project should steer clear of GNR tunes because it won't sound the same with someone else's voice , Well F8ck that the Project should do as many old Guns tunes as they want because the wrote them as well it's thier music to , why shouldn't they be allowed to perform what they wrote...

I don't have a problem with the Project doing some GNR songs. But I don't think they will be the same without Axl's voice.

..   Van Halen replaced seemingly irreplaceable Diamond dave and went on to continued success , now what if they tried to replace Eddie .. Hmmm. That goes to show that not everything revloves around the voice that you hear singing the songs , So what couldn't this work fo the Project .

This is true. But many believe Van Halen was never the same without Diamond Dave -- just as Black Sabbath was never the same without Ozzy.

;)

on Nov 19th, 2002, 6:26pm, gnrlies wrote:...  

hey lies? r u axl hater or something? theres no bonus word for axl, he is the one, i'm not trying to dis slash, i love that man, but u can't just dis axl like that.