Strat Versus Les Paul

What Guitar is better overall?  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'll probably have to go for Strat then. I can just afford that barely.

The thing is, I always change my mind. I would listen to a Led Zepp song and be really interesting in getting a Les Paul. But then I would listen to Hendrix and then start to want a Strat. For some reason I want to get the Strat for the whammy bar. But then theres the debate between Fender Strats and Epiphone Les Pauls.

So basically what has the better tone. I play rock, punk and blues.

It really depends on the particular guitar for me. I've played both Strats and LP's that played and sounded like shit. But I've also played some that were great. The best advice I can give is to go to your music shop and play the hell out of whatever they have there. Personally, I'd probably go for a Les Paul. I like the look better. Strats are generally easier to play, but the LP's sound is more suited for what I play. But anyway, what ever your choose, don't sell yourself short. If you like the LP better, don't get a Strat because it's cheaper. Save up and get the guitar that you really want.

Les Paul - heavy, solid, awsome. it doesnt need a tremlow arm. its the fullest sound youll get, and the sustain is awsome

'i mean listen to that' -

-'i cant hear anything'

'no but you would, if it were playing.'

lmao :lol: one of the best moments in spinal tap!

and i'd personally go for the les paul, more beef than the strat and its definetley a warmer tone

Les Paul - heavy, solid, awsome. it doesnt need a tremlow arm. its the fullest sound youll get, and the sustain is awsome

'i mean listen to that' -

-'i cant hear anything'

'no but you would, if it were playing.'

rock3 One of the greatest moments in the history of film! rock3

The only problem I was with the les Paul is that the body is a bit bulky, I like something small and sleak. Choose your guitar like you choose the sort of girl you like, and you won't go far wrong.

Edited by Maddergascar

gibsons quality control right now is shit, so many les pauls that come out of the factory need to be set up again. you definetly get more value for money with a fender strat

a strat will sound brighter than an LP, because of its longer scale length. its more versatile as it has a wide range of tones that can be accessed from the pickups, and can be used for many more styles of music - country to heavy metal (if you change the pickups). the strat has a trem bar which does come in useful, and the strat is much easier to mod because the pickguard can just be changed instead of having to cut permanent holes in the body like modding a les paul (eg coil taps).

a Les Paul will have more sustain, and have a thicker, beefier sound. they usually have nicer paintwork than a strat (eg a flame top). les pauls are more known for straight up rock sounds.

Fender have been known to have better customer service than Gibson, and the parts are much more easily interchangeable on a strat than a les paul - for example all parts from warmoth.com are made to fender spec, and you can get replacement parts from mighty mite too.

to be fair the les paul would always win the vote in a guns n roses forum due to the slash connection, but anyway there is no 'best' guitar, it's all down to personal taste and needs musically.

Les Paul - Slash, Jimmy Page, Neil Young, My Uncle Paul(lol), Izzy Stradlin, Pete Townshend

Stat - Hendrix, David Gilmour, Jeff Beck, Joe Walsh, Eric Clapton, Tom Morello

pick your favorites on each side and the one that ends up having more guitarists you like is the one you should buy.

Well, lets see, Strats do have a brighter sound because of their single coils and light weight body, fit for playing from country to metal, though you will never be able to get as much as gain as you get from a LP, wich has a thicker sound beacuse of its humbuckers and the heavy weighted body, the wood grain gibson uses is far better than the cardboards fender uses to make strats.

But if you want a really great guitar, worthy of heavens realm, get a LP and get a luthier to get you a push/pull pot for series parallel pickup switching, get some custom pickups of your preference, id go for the jimmy page custom burstbuckers, and youll get a lp that sounds both like a strat and a lp. If you do it with any lp , like a Epi or Agile, itll be around 1000, and if you get a gibson standard itll be like 2000, but DO NOT go for the JP custom LP, because what your doing is bassically a copy of it. My recomendation is to get an Agile LP and put in the parellel push/pull pot and get the JP custom burstbucker, anyways thats jmho.

Jimmy Page LP

Well, lets see, Strats do have a brighter sound because of their single coils and light weight body, fit for playing from country to metal, though you will never be able to get as much as gain as you get from a LP, wich has a thicker sound beacuse of its humbuckers and the heavy weighted body, the wood grain gibson uses is far better than the cardboards fender uses to make strats.

But if you want a really great guitar, worthy of heavens realm, get a LP and get a luthier to get you a push/pull pot for series parallel pickup switching, get some custom pickups of your preference, id go for the jimmy page custom burstbuckers, and youll get a lp that sounds both like a strat and a lp. If you do it with any lp , like a Epi or Agile, itll be around 1000, and if you get a gibson standard itll be like 2000, but DO NOT go for the JP custom LP, because what your doing is bassically a copy of it. My recomendation is to get an Agile LP and put in the parellel push/pull pot and get the JP custom burstbucker, anyways thats jmho.

Jimmy Page LP

agree , i tryed to do this with my lp gold top 1960 , but the pull switch was too short for the guitar , so at last i put the alnico`s and leave it as original as possible.

now i use a lp custom 1972 . and no need to be changed at all....