Your playing style?

Well i have a weird style.

My main influences are: Stevie Ray Vaughan, Iron Maiden (Dave Murray, Janick Gers and Adrian Smith), Ritchie Blackmore, James Hetfield, Eric Clapton and David Gilmour.

I love bends and vibrato, and the odd trill here and there. I also love to add some fast appreggos in my solos.

I have a Squire strat (so shit, need to level the frets) and use neck pickup for clean, and middle/bridge for dirty.

I tune down half a step (D#,G#,C#,F#,A#,D#) and use heavy strings, Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky's (11-15-22p-30-42-54)

I like to play hard and dig into the strings, i think my set up is perfect for some hard blues, and also Metal (though single coils suck for metal)

I use Fender Heavy picks.

What personal touches do you add for your own style?

I'd say main influences are angus young, jimi hendrix, ace frehley.

my playing style is powerful chords (think kiss) and fast bluesy solos, lots of bends and slides, and little patterns that works up and down the scale really fast, they're cool.

I have a squier strat, with a dimarzio super distortion humbucker in the bridge, a seymour duncan single coil (can't remember the name) in the middle, and at the neck a hot rail pickup of which I don't know the manufacturer, but it sounds pretty cool.

I also have an epiphone sg 310 with emg type pickups. It was like that when I bought it.

pics: dsc007256tn.th.jpg dsc001726qb.th.jpg

I switch between playing eadgbe and down half step tuning. ernie ball regular slinkies (can't remember the sizes by heart)

I play through a marshall mini stack mg15ms i think is the code. I switch between stettings a lot, but mainly overdriven, crunchy blues.

.96mm picks

Well i have a weird style.

My main influences are: Stevie Ray Vaughan, Iron Maiden (Dave Murray, Janick Gers and Adrian Smith), Ritchie Blackmore, James Hetfield, Eric Clapton and David Gilmour.

I love bends and vibrato, and the odd trill here and there.  I also love to add some fast appreggos in my solos.

I have a Squire strat (so shit, need to level the frets) and use neck pickup for clean, and middle/bridge for dirty.

I tune down half a step (D#,G#,C#,F#,A#,D#) and use heavy strings, Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky's (11-15-22p-30-42-54)

I like to play hard and dig into the strings, i think my set up is perfect for some hard blues, and also Metal (though single coils suck for metal)

I use Fender Heavy picks.

What personal touches do you add for your own style?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hear ya man. I play pretty much in the same style. My influences are Metallica, Sabbath, Misfits, and C.O.C.

I play a baritone (tuned B E A D F# B ) or a standard guitar in baritone tuning. On the baritone, I use D'Addario strings, 14p 18p 26 44 56 68, and on the guitar I mix sets and end up using 11p 14p 18p 36 52 60.

Edited by santana

People tell me I play a lot like Slash.

I Play a Gibson Les Paul most of the time

I use Ernie Ball 11s

I like to pick open chords apart when writing slower songs and play power chords over them.

I shred through pentatonic, minor, dorian, ionian scales during my solos. I use slides ALOT. I use hammer ons and pulloffs during descending lines only. Depending on the song I use a lot of massive and sustained bends. I like to backtrack through patterns and overlap notes.

I usually play in either standard tuning, Drop-D, Half Step Down, or Drop-C

I use my bridge pickup much more than my neck but lately ive been using my neck a lot.

Great idea for a thread by the way Johnezz, good stuff.

My influences are:

Slash, SRV, Angus Young, Lenny Kravitz, Zakk Wylde, Randy Rhoads (plus a few more)

I play an Epiphone Les Paul. I've had it for a while now and I never get sick of looking at it. I generally play heavy gauge strings but am currently experimenting with some Ernie Ball Super Slinkys. They're not my cup of tea.

I like playing harmonics (natural and artificial), tapping, pick scratching and any other silly tricks that make me feel like a superstar when I'm playing.

I use the neck pickup for the slower, more emotional guitar work. Bridge pickup for the odd bit of shred.

Tuning is generally standard. I have been known to drop down a half-step.

I USE A METRONOME!!!

I use 1mm picks.

My influence is Slash. I play mostly in half step (sometimes standard if I can be bothered).

If I can't play a solo I try and improvise it, sometimes it turns out good sometimes uber poo.

I like shredding in my own style, and not put to any songs in place of a solo *cough*buckethead.

Um, I play with Ernie Ball .9's on my OLP JP sig guitar and Gibson .10's on my Epi LP Standard.

I love bends, I add in a few if I can in solo's to give them more effect. Oh, and I use pentatonics loads if I'm improvising a solo.

Well i take an eclectic approach. When i solo i dont stick to one scale. I'll use any note and make it fit some how...

Main influences though are SRV, Slash, Page and like a trillion other guitarists ...

i hate shredding, i rather my solos are slow, and only play fast if its needed. I dont just play fast for the hell of it... I love improvising, i just love it.. :) And i'm quite good at it may i say.

Edited by slashs_servant

Guitar - Les Paul

Amp - Marshall

Strings - 11's

Pick - 1.14mm purple dunlop

My style is kinda a mix between Jimmy Page and Slash. My tone sounds like Slash's and my playing is really sloppy like pages but i play mainly power chords and simple riffs like Slash. I love bending really high and vibrato' aswell

The only effect i use is Wah aswell

Edited by Crash Diet

C.O.C.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whoa man, you're the best! C.O.C rawks

Okay back on topic.

Guitar: ESP-LTD Viper 50BK.

Amp: Marshall MG30DFX (excellent bedroom Marshall)

Pick: Use random ones, some light when playing some chill stuff and thick when heavy.

Main influences: GN'R, Metallica, C.O.C, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pantera and Soundgarden. Plus some minor ones.

Style: Mostly trash riffs, standard tuning. My axe was on dropped D for a while, but I changed it back because I didnt play songs that needed it yet. My soloing goes on the pentatonic scale, that is because I've been playing just for a few months now and thats the only scale I have been learning. I bend a lot and do not trill almost at all, because my skill inst that high yet.

I play an Epiphone Slash Signature LP

Strings: 0.10

Jim Dunlop picks, the purple tortex ones, hard, stiff picks

Cry Baby Wah

Marshall Valvestate 2000

Influences: Jimmy Page, Ritchie Blackmore, Slash, Janick Gers, Zakk Wylde.

I play mostly aggressively, but try to use the light/shade approach as well, switch pickups probably a lot depending on what part of the song it is.

For solos I use a lot of legato, bending and vibrato...

Ibanez rg 170

Marshall mg30dfx

PW-10 V-Wah

Boss metal zone but i use the distorsion from the amp more

0.9 strings dean markley and fender lately

1mm pick fender

Dont have any big influences cuz its best that way.

I play my own thing thats hard to explain.

Edited by thaman

My Main Influences are Slash :rolleyes: , Brian May, Jimmy Page, Kirk Hammett, Angus Young, Buckethead, Eddie Van Halen and many more....

i usually play in standard E, or more recently Eb tuning...

Been playing 8 years and My overall playing style is somthing from all of the above mentioned combined, im quite evil on the guitar :devil:

My Main Influences are Slash :rolleyes: , Brian May, Jimmy Page, Kirk Hammett, Angus Young, Buckethead, Eddie Van Halen and many more....

i usually play in standard E, or more recently Eb tuning...

Been playing 8 years and My overall playing style is somthing from all of the above mentioned combined, im quite evil on the guitar :devil:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Off-topic: Dude, your name.....your sig...your avatar!!!! What the....why??? :confused:

ARQ

my influences are slash (obviously), bucket, hetfield, gilmour and mustaine.

i love using really light gauge (9) strings and heavy picks. i try to pick every note i play (instead of hammer-ons and pull-offs) when i practice, that way i can really shred when i do the real thing and add the HOs and PUs, heh. i'm starting to get into arpeggios, it just feels so fucking cool to play them.

nothing i like to do more than put on DSOTM and just do my own thing.