BBC's Most Overrated Albums Ever

username

Nirvana album is 'most overrated' 

Nevermind features the hit single Smells Like Teen Spirit

Nirvana's 1991 record Nevermind has been voted the most overrated album of all time by BBC 6 Music listeners.

Presenter Andrew Collins, a Nirvana fan, announced the results on Saturday, calling everyone who had voted for the Seattle grunge band's record "mad".

Coldplay's X&Y came second in the survey, followed by The Libertines' self-titled second album at three.

6 Music's Ric Blaxill said the poll had given the digital station's listeners the chance to "address the hyperbole".

"These results may upset Nirvana's legion of loyal fans," he added.

'MOST OVERRATED ALBUMS'

1. Nirvana - Nevermind

2. Coldplay - X&Y

3. The Libertines - The Libertines

4. Oasis - Definitely Maybe

5. U2 - The Joshua Tree

6. Radiohead - OK Computer

7. The Beatles - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

8. Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

9. Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks

10. The Smiths - The Queen is Dead

Source: BBC 6 Music

"But it goes without saying that one person's overrated album will be another's film favourite."

Albums by such established bands as Oasis, U2, Radiohead and the Beatles also feature in the Top 10.

Listeners were invited to submit their nominations, which were whittled down to a shortlist of 10 and put to a public vote.

"I'm surprised to see Coldplay's X&Y at number two," continued Me Blaxill, who attributed the band's high placing in the chart to "the influence of extensive media coverage".

"This poll has given our listeners the opportunity to tell us what they really think."

source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4302572.stm

Damn the BBC viewers! Lot's of good albums in there!

Nevermind?

Sgt. Pepper?????

The Joshua Tree???

Hell, those are top albums!

Saying that Sgt. Pepper's and Pet Sounds are over-rated, might very well be the biggest farce in the history of mankind. Not only were those albums revolutionary in terms of style and manner of composition, they also changed the way music was recorded. The intire music industry changed to accomodate those 2 albums. Yes, of course there are some "less than stellar" moments on both albums, but their impact on the history of music and the recording industry is immeasurable.

Oh shit i didnt realise Pet Sounds was on that list, yeah i agree Santana, Pet Sounds and to a lesser extect Sgt Peppers were incredibley influence, if not the most influentual albums ever. :fuckyou: to people who think Pet Sounds is overrated.

I just say the Libertines aren't overrated. Otherwise, I kind of agree with that ... Hell, Sgt. Pepper is good, but it isn't even the best Beatles album.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i love Sgt. Pepper, but personally I prefer Rubber Soul.

i agree with that list, except for pet sounds, I dont enjoy it, but I dont think its rated highly enough to be overrated. Also american idiot belongs on it. Nevermind the bollocks is terribly overrated. It's a good album, just overrated

Ok, i hate U2 and i even think that album shouldent be there, i also am not the biggest fan of nirvana, and i dont think that album should be there. I mean, nevermind is over rated, but at least there is some musical subtance underneath it all...

St. Anger should definatly be on that list, everything by Osais, Audioslave and Verve. Sorry, thats just my opinion...