guitars

whats the standard amount of frets on a guitar. and what would you recomend learning first (gnr wise)

SS.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From memory it's 22, but if you're learning then it makes no difference (unless you're learning to shred and want to know whether you're going to need those extra 12 notes in frets 23-24).

Don't worry about fret numbers until you're playing Mr Crowley on a Jackson Flying V.

whats the standard amount of frets on a guitar. and what would you recomend learning first (gnr wise)

SS.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From memory it's 22, but if you're learning then it makes no difference (unless you're learning to shred and want to know whether you're going to need those extra 12 notes in frets 23-24).

Don't worry about fret numbers until you're playing Mr Crowley on a Jackson Flying V.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wouldn't you only really get 2 extra notes?

SS.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

6 strings. 2 Frets. 2x6=12.

SS.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

6 strings. 2 Frets. 2x6=12.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The extra notes are available on other strings - eg fret 24 on low e string is the same as fret 19 on the a string.

I guess if youre working with a box pattern then you have extra space.

The extra notes are available on other strings - eg fret 24 on low e string is the same as fret 19 on the a string.

I guess if youre working with a box pattern then you have extra space.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the extra 2 frets was just another 80's thing, like drum kits with 3 kick drums and those keyboard/guitar things. All excess with no particular reason. you're right though - there are only 2 extra notes that you wouldn't be able to achieve otherwise.

I saw Pseudo Echo's "Funky Town" video on TV the other day. Their drummer had possibly the biggest kit in the world...of which he used the hi-hat, snare and kick - maybe a tom here and there. Gay.

For the other part of the initial question, GNR songs that are good to learn are:

Used To Love Her (D-A-G-A)

SCOM (Izzy's rhythm part - D-C-G-D)

One of the first songs I learnt was Everlong by Foo Fighters. I recommend that because it shows you drop-d tuning, along with some pretty cool strumming textures. Sounds great acoustic too.

And if you want to strengthen up those fingers and get your chord changes down then try Hide Your Love Away by John Lennon...or was it The Beatles? (G-D-F-G-C-F-C with another D on the end of the verse. Chorus = G-C-D).

my les paul has 24 frets, i thought 24 was standard for a les paul, maybe not though. my jackson has 22 and i miss the other 2 sometimes (metallica solos), but really no big deal.

nighttrain has to be the best beginner gnr song, nice slow tempo and an innovative bar chords that come in handy down the line.

i'd also reccomend bad apples, my brownstone, and right next door to hell (easy solo on this one).

my les paul has 24 frets, i thought 24 was standard for a les paul, maybe not though. my jackson has 22 and i miss the other 2 sometimes (metallica solos), but really no big deal.

nighttrain has to be the best beginner gnr song, nice slow tempo and an innovative bar chords that come in handy down the line.

i'd also reccomend bad apples, my brownstone, and right next door to hell (easy solo on this one).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought out ta get me was WAY easier

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought out ta get me was WAY easier

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah, OTGM is easier, but that song is kinda lame. there's easier songs than nighttrain, but nighttrain will get anyone on the right track who's looking to improve.