Welcoming Thread?

W. Axl Kev

As far as I knew there was a pinned welcoming thread in Anything Goes but now it has gone as far as I can see?

Shouldn't there be a place where new members can introduce themselves to us etc? I just thought it would be an easier way so newer members can make new friends on the forum quickly before dashing out and posting 'Where is Axl?' in Discussion & News?

I suggested the Buddy idea a while ago but it was turned down in light of linking new members via pm to the Rules etc. Isn't that a slightly hostile way to 'welcome' new members? It's a bit like 'Don't break these rules or you're gone!' - Might discourage people from posting frequently. Maybe there should just be a place where they can say 'Hi' etc.

Just a few thoughts.

Kev.

As far as I knew there was a pinned welcoming thread in Anything Goes but now it has gone as far as I can see?

Kev.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

About that thread.. It pretty much became a spam thread.. and it was closed and unpinned.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I thought as much. I am W. Axl Kev - Protector of Newbies!

EDIT: Wow... We share the same name... B)

Edited by W. Axl Kev

Kev.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

About that thread.. It pretty much became a spam thread.. and it was closed and unpinned.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I thought as much. I am W. Axl Kev - Protector of Newbies!

EDIT: Wow... We share the same name... B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And it's a sweet name at that, only the best deserve it.

lol

Yes i remember when i first joined it was like 'OH MY GOD, WHERE DO I START?'

Its like Welcome to the Jungle (pardon the pun)

Anyways yah, i think its a good idea to have a place for newbies, to say 'hey, im a newbie, hi!'

Yes, it was a great idea in theory. But unfortunately, some of our younger members decided to spam the crap out of the thread and ruin it for everybody. We tried deleting the spam posts and sending pms asking members to stop posting in the thread, but the same group of kids continued to spam it. So, it was either ban all of the young kids for spamming or close the thread. We opted to close the thread - this time.

Yes, it was a great idea in theory.  But unfortunately, some of our younger members decided to spam the crap out of the thread and ruin it for everybody.  We tried deleting the spam posts and sending pms asking members to stop posting in the thread, but the same group of kids continued to spam it.  So, it was either ban all of the young kids for spamming or close the thread.  We opted to close the thread - this time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you's able to create something where only members with say under 10 posts can be? Or is that an impossible thing? I don't know about the running of a forum.

Yes, it was a great idea in theory. But unfortunately, some of our younger members decided to spam the crap out of the thread and ruin it for everybody. We tried deleting the spam posts and sending pms asking members to stop posting in the thread, but the same group of kids continued to spam it. So, it was either ban all of the young kids for spamming or close the thread. We opted to close the thread - this time.

I hope you wern't talking about me- I was trying to be nice to the new members :confused:

Then again, I didn't receive a personal message so probably not.