Van Halen

Iluvrocknroll1979

Dave 60%

Sammy 40%

Gary - just a bad idea

I go with Dave because he was the original, and I absolutely love all the Dave era albums. My first concert was Van Halen 1984. Then in 1985, Dave went solo, and he did LEAVE the band, he was not kicked out. Dave wanted to do a solo album and make a movie. The movie deal fell apart, Dave made a couple of good solo albums with Steve Vai( I saw him solo in the late 80's), but his career went downhill afterwards.

Meanwhile, Sammy joins Van Halen, and they pick up where Dave left off. Instead of losing fans, they gained more fans. 5150 was a huge album. In '87 the headlined the Monsters of Rock tour(with Scorpions,Dokken,Mettallica, Kingdom Come). FUCK was a great album in 1991, another sold out tour with Alice in Chains opening.

A lot of people hate Sammy for either 2 reasons:

1. He replaced Dave

2. He sucks, I never liked him, etc..

I have no problem with either of those arguments, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just remember this, Dave left the band in 1985, he was not kicked out. Sammy joining the band saved Van Halen, the album sales/sold out concerts don't lie.

In 1996, Dave had a chance to get back in the band, and he blew it. I think it would have worked in 1996, but Dave pissed off Ed/Al again.

Van Halen is eligible for the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, they should get voted in within the next year or 2. When that happens, it should be interesting.

Hmm, I'm the same as Jonezy, 60% Dave, 40% Sammy, 0% Gary.

DLR had the better lyrics and the swagger in his voice, also Eddie was a better songwriter during that period, but Sammy had a stronger voice (especially live) and more range, and there were some great songs in the van hagar period too.

'JONEZY' date='Jan 23 2006, 03:16 PM' post='1073906']

Van Halen is eligible for the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, they should get voted in within the next year or 2. When that happens, it should be interesting.

Yes, I was thinking about that, when they get inducted to RnR Hall of Fame, do the three lead singer should be there? That is kind of interesting. <_<