Axl wants to be Kubrick (?)

fujisartono

2001 is one of my all time favorite movies, partly because you discover something new at every watch, and party also due to Kubrick's genious and perfectionism (something absent in today's Gen-X directors).

I picked up a 'making of' book of this movie and remember reading something about Kubrick spending over $10m (an astronomical stash of cash in those days), 5 years making it, and sucking all of MGM's resources including all of their stage studios, etc. And one of his collaborators said that if MGM didn't 'force the movie out of Kubrick's hands', he would still be perfecting, editing, reshooting the scenes today (if he were still alive today).

Doesn't that sound like how Axl? And the way he is 'building' his Chinese Democracy?

Well, I hope so .. for the sake of the fans .. let's hear something this year.

Edited by fujisartono

Except for the fact that Kubrick has been dead for several years, I think you may have a point. But, I've secretly suspected that no real work on CD has been done until recent months. Kinda is lame thinking about that, though. But yeah, Kubrick might've kept editing and reshooting the film, just as George Lucas keeps jacking around my Star Wars films. I don't think Axl would re-record CD after its release.

Doesn't that sound like how Axl? And the way he is 'building' his Chinese Democracy?

I think when you have something that you know is special it can go one or two ways you can think its great and just release it or whatever. Or, you know its special but you know it can just be that little bit better - and you work at it and work at it for a long time. Especially when you have no financial pressure to finish it - like Axl with CD.

I think Kubrick and Axl Rose are similiar in the fact that compared to many artists - they've done very little - but what they have done has been recognised by many people as some of the greatest work in their field.

Axl was part of the team that made AFD, AFD is often named as one of the greatest rock albums ever in polls etc - while Kubrick was part of the team that made some of the greatest films ever.

And one of his collaborators said that if MGM didn't 'force the movieout of Kubrick's hands', he would still be perfecting, editing, reshooting the scenes today.

I doubt it ;)

Let's hope people are still talking about CD in 30 odd years time like they are doing about 2001 :)

R.

Edited by x_Estranged_x

Very good point. Remember the late, great Gloria Swanson? A director by the name of Eriche Von Stroheim nearly bankrupted Paramounts production budget while shooting the never completed "Queen Kelly". Gloria personally lost one million dollars. This is in 1929!!! It was the most expensive movie at the time, never made. I am sure it still holds that tiltle. Especially when you convert 1920's money into now. Gloria was the star of this never released film. Funny enough when she played Norma Desmond, in Billy Wilder's "Sunset Blvd"(1950), which is a direct correlation of her own life. Eriche Von Stroheim played her butler in this film! And if you know this great film, you know all the paralles between the film and the reality of it. And I am a huge Kubrick fan, even though I prefer the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Guest JohnUlmer

Kubrick was a perfectionist who chose his projects wisely. Not counting his earlier, obscure films, only one of his major studio films is not on IMDb's Top 250 List (Eyes Wide Shut, just in case you're wondering). Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon, Shining, 2001, Full Metal Jacket, Dr. Strangelove, Spartacus (which he hated), Paths of Glory, etc. - all on the top user-voted list!

I think Axl is very much like Kubrick. I have more patience to deal with this album because in the film world waiting ten years for something from a director isn't as rare. Terrence Malick took, what, twenty years to make another film after Days of Heaven?

I'd rather have a great album than one that is half-baked. I'm not justifying ten years and $10 million - but if the rest is one of the best albums of all-time, I'm willing to wait, and I respect that Axl isn't shitting out two a year like some artists of today.

I'd rather have a great album than one that is half-baked. I'm not justifying ten years and $10 million - but if the rest is one of the best albums of all-time, I'm willing to wait, and I respect that Axl isn't shitting out two a year like some artists of today.

Very good point Ulmer!

Grimo.