Guitar Art

So I'm thinkin about painting my Ibanez IC300, but i don't know how, have you guys ever tried it? painting your guitar or customizing it? Guys like Hendrix and Page painted their guitars and they got awesome results, i mean, look at that 59' Dragon Telly that Page has, its fuckin beautiful. What about Claptons "Fool" SG? It looks pretty cool, so I was hoping you guys knew somtn about painting guitars, if you do, please post your tips/materials/whatever valuable info you might have, Thanks.

23623955_dc0b1972d4_o.jpgjimmypagetele.jpgapr02c.jpg

Painting is not as easy as it sounds, the easiest of course is doing a solid colour, which black being the hardest of all the solid colours as it is so damn refelective and shows up all the small blemishes you've made. Bursting is done by dyeing the guitar yellow, then fogging a transparent red around the edge, then black around the edge ontop of that. Oh, and you have to use a sealent to seal the wood first, and to prime it, then you have to do about 10 very thin coats of with a wet sand inbetween each coat, and then about 6 coats of nitro (nitro is alot better than newer plastic based clear finishes as they can tned to suffocate the tone of the guitar) then you have to leave it for about a month then buff.

But if you want a really cool painting, like Clapton's SG (which is so damn sexy) and you donk think your very good with art, get a pro to do it. Be warned though paint jobs cost alot, alot more than you would think, mainly because they take so muhc time to do. Alternatively, you could get a friend who is really good at art to do it for you, and of course if your confidident enough you can do it yourself.

I'm gonna paint my guitar soon, and in black too.

Thanks for the tips Johnezz, the thing is i wanna paint it like Clapton's Fool, I am pretty good at art but i don't know what materials i can use to get the job done, I have several ideas about what i wanna do, maybe i'll just draw the silhouette of "The battle of Los Angeles" (RATM) cuz it goes with the design of my guitar, or maybe i was thinking about writing important speeches like MLK's "I have a Dream" and Malcom's "Ballot or the Bullet", and many more, but you see, these designs have a lot of detail so i don't really know what to use, any ideas anyone?

Thanks for the tips Johnezz, the thing is i wanna paint it like Clapton's Fool, I am pretty good at art but i don't know what materials i can use to get the job done, I have several ideas about what i wanna do, maybe i'll just draw the silhouette of "The battle of Los Angeles" (RATM) cuz it goes with the design of my guitar, or maybe i was thinking about writing important speeches like MLK's "I have a Dream" and Malcom's "Ballot or the Bullet", and many more, but you see, these designs have a lot of detail so i don't really know what to use, any ideas anyone?

make your own art

yes i know itd be a bummer for your guitar if you fucked up

but dont thhink like that have some confidence ;)

I'm going to ask my guitar builder friend more about painting guitars soon, so as soon as i know, i'll pass the information on to you.

From what i remember though, Auto laquer was a good paint to use.

But like i said in my last post, you have to be careful as some paints and finishes can suffocate the tone.

Speaking of paint.. Me and my friend bought an old crappy bass guitar, and fixed it up a little. Put some paint on it, made it look real old. Then we sold it to this kid that knew nothing about guitars, but was a poser trying to fit in, and tried to pretend like he knew stuff... Sooo.. while we were showing him the guitar we told him it was real rare, and we wanted to sell it, and he said that he's heard of it before, and bought it for $800! The thing is, it was a starter kit bass that was chipped and we re-painted it. I feel kinda bad about it.. but well I hate how he bought all guitar stuff just to fit in with that crowd..

Speaking of paint.. Me and my friend bought an old crappy bass guitar, and fixed it up a little. Put some paint on it, made it look real old. Then we sold it to this kid that knew nothing about guitars, but was a poser trying to fit in, and tried to pretend like he knew stuff... Sooo.. while we were showing him the guitar we told him it was real rare, and we wanted to sell it, and he said that he's heard of it before, and bought it for $800! The thing is, it was a starter kit bass that was chipped and we re-painted it. I feel kinda bad about it.. but well I hate how he bought all guitar stuff just to fit in with that crowd..

Harsh man...you totally ripped off a kid who just wanted to be like everyone else :angry:

Harsh man...you totally ripped off a kid who just wanted to be like everyone else :angry:

Yeah, man that's not cool.

No mate thats fucking ace! Got $800 of some brew money!

Believe me that $800 was spent well..

This kid is very, VERY, spoiled though. He doesn't have to work; his parents give him everything. Basically if he doesn't feel like he's like someone else enough, mommy and daddy buy it.

Believe me that $800 was spent well..

This kid is very, VERY, spoiled though. He doesn't have to work; his parents give him everything. Basically if he doesn't feel like he's like someone else enough, mommy and daddy buy it.

that's fucked up

but hilarious! :lol: