GnR playing live in 2006

dobadog

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they need a third guitarist, especially if the new music is more complex than the old... and i don't think richard or robin are anything close to be able to do fast guitar masturbation on pieces like nightrain or PC outro etc...

Nightrain and Paradise City may seem fast but they're not shred fast. Fortus and Finck are well able to play at least as fast as Slash. As for the complexity of the new recordings, i still two guitarists is enough. Remember, many old G n' R songs had three or four guitars but they didn't need to replicate every single guitar for the live performance to work. Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page used to do one-guitar versions of songs like Achilles' Last Stand, Song Remains The Same and Stairway To Heaven which had multiple guitars in the studio and they still sounded fine. Different, but still good.

they need a third guitarist, especially if the new music is more complex than the old... and i don't think richard or robin are anything close to be able to do fast guitar masturbation on pieces like nightrain or PC outro etc...

i agree... i always liked the idea of three guitarists.. not many bands do that- but the ones that do, i think, just look that much cooler.

anyway- how awesome would it be if axl brought izzy back in on rythem and just switched robin to full-time lead?

Just studying the power tab for Madgascar, Chinese democracy and listening to the blues i can't for the life of me figure out why a 3rd guitarist was necessary, there are 3 guitar parts in Madagascar but they could easily have been 2 and possibly one, the same goes for both of the other two.

And they certainly don't need three guitarists for the old GnR covers, musically their set up his mental

three guitarists and two keyboardists! The boys may need to invest in a loop station!

rock1 rock1 rock4 (sorry Axl leave that for Lynard Skynard ;) )

Edited by Mr Estranged

i agree... i always liked the idea of three guitarists.. not many bands do that- but the ones that do, i think, just look that much cooler.

anyway- how awesome would it be if axl brought izzy back in on rythem and just switched robin to full-time lead?

he was talkin to izzy few weeks ago :book:

maybe izzy could help with some dates... and then, he gets remplaced with a new member :)

Just studying the power tab for Madgascar, Chinese democracy and listening to the blues i can't for the life of me figure out why a 3rd guitarist was necessary, there are 3 guitar parts in Madagascar but they could easily have been 2 and possibly one, the same goes for both of the other two.

And they certainly don't need three guitarists for the old GnR covers, musically their set up his mental

three guitarists and two keyboardists! The boys may need to invest in a loop station!

That's just from what we have heard, though. Who knows how complex and how many layers the new material is. Personally, it's a little too much for my liking to have more than one or two guitarists in a band, but we'll see when the album comes out. It may require three to successfully pull it off live.

That's just from what we have heard, though. Who knows how complex and how many layers the new material is. Personally, it's a little too much for my liking to have more than one or two guitarists in a band, but we'll see when the album comes out. It may require three to successfully pull it off live.

Ok maybe, if its so musically dense that it will require 2 keyboardists, 1 rhythm, 1 rhythm/lead, 1 lead guitarist and partridge in a pear tree then it ain't going to be all that listenable. This comment aside I can only go by what Ive heard and what Ive heard berely needs one, never mind another keybordist and the rest!

Tis only crazy! :monkey:

p.s queen (the band he's appartently trying to emulate) wrote some amazingly complex compositions and were able to pull it off with only 1 guitarist, 1 bassist, 1 drummer and a singer/pianist

Edited by Mr Estranged

Ok, let's assume GnR are not going to get a replacement for Bucket. That would mean that either Finck or Fortus would rerecord/play his stuff live. Not being very familiar with the work of the two, I'm assuming that Finck is more suited for the role, since he IS officially the lead guitarist and Fortus the rhythm. Now, having read some of the posts about Finck I got the impression that the really isn't a virtuoso, and some have said that Fortus would do a better job taking the lead.

What are your thoughts on the two?

I dont know... Somehow it seems to me that they will be the guitarist team on CD, with BH's parts re-recorded by one of em. Or with completely new solos. It's too late (I hope it is!!!! - no more delays!) to bring in someone new. Do you think they'll be up to the challenge?

Buckethead is the best in terms of technique in skill, but hes out, right?

Fortus is cool IMO, but I don't feel the emotion or attitude in his playing, although he does get it right most of the time.

Fink has been known to screw up on stage, but he has the raw attitude and emotion in his playing, as well as the bluesey style that is closest to Mr. Slash, making him my favorite. The TWAT second solo, that cuts into bucket, I believe, is all fink attitude...

Fortus and Finck can record BH's part at a very slow rate and speed it up during the editing. They just need to get a replacement during live shows.

I think it would be great from them to get different guitarist for different shows. Like say Joe Satriani for NY shows, Bumblefoot for Pittsburg shows, etc.