VR's Libertad and Chinese Democracy

gnrlies

Based on the current events, it looks very possible that these two albums are going to be released around the same time.

Subsequent touring could see some overlap on festivals or shows. Do you think axl would make a concious effort to avoid VR?

Based on the current events, it looks very possible that these two albums are going to be released around the same time.

Subsequent touring could see some overlap on festivals or shows. Do you think axl would make a concious effort to avoid VR?

ahhh- haha, i don't think any kind of approach avoidance would be necessary since I think Chinese Democracy will greatly overshadow anything VR could put out...

well, VR are recording and writing as we speak...so if they rush to release it mid year..... means that the new album will be exactly like the old one....a whole lot of cool guitar parts and melodies, but probably only one or two tracks on there which have been really sorted.

CD has been in production for 11 years now....there's no way in hell VR's record will come anywhere near it.

Edited by elmir

well, VR are recording and writing as we speak...so if they rush to release it mid year..... means that the new album will be exactly like the old one....a whole lot of cool guitar parts and melodies, but probably only one or two tracks on there which have been really sorted.

CD has been in production for 11 years now....there's no way in hell VR's record will come anywhere near it.

I don't really think the time spent making the album will make one album more quality than the other. Granted, I think Chi Dem will garner more publicity and sales, it doesn't necessarily mean it will be better. The time spent on it could actually have a negative effect in that it sets up a level of expectation that it cannot possibly meet. Sometimes the best stuff is written in a flash of inspiration and isn't overanalyzed. For example, Zeppelin would only try and work something three times. If it didn't work, they'd scrap it, or possibly stumble back upon it later. Another example: Alice in Chains wrote and recorded the "Jar of Flies" EP in a mere 7 days, and that has some incredible work on it. Not that this guarantee's Libertad will be better than CD or vice versa, but when it comes down to it, it will ultimately be a matter of opinion.

I don't really think the time spent making the album will make one album more quality than the other. Granted, I think Chi Dem will garner more publicity and sales, it doesn't necessarily mean it will be better. The time spent on it could actually have a negative effect in that it sets up a level of expectation that it cannot possibly meet. Sometimes the best stuff is written in a flash of inspiration and isn't overanalyzed. For example, Zeppelin would only try and work something three times. If it didn't work, they'd scrap it, or possibly stumble back upon it later. Another example: Alice in Chains wrote and recorded the "Jar of Flies" EP in a mere 7 days, and that has some incredible work on it. Not that this guarantee's Libertad will be better than CD or vice versa, but when it comes down to it, it will ultimately be a matter of opinion.

very valid....i didn't mean that CD will be better purely because it took longer to make...but if you look at the expertise involved in making of CD based on all that hear-say we got over the years...it should literally make VR look like a bunch of amateurs....

...I love Slash a lot, he's my favorite guitarist, but he does not have the same energy and an obsessive drive that Axl Rose has, which, come June...will be the factor which makes all the difference.

very valid....i didn't mean that CD will be better purely because it took longer to make...but if you look at the expertise involved in making of CD based on all that hear-say we got over the years...it should literally make VR look like a bunch of amateurs....

...I love Slash a lot, he's my favorite guitarist, but he does not have the same energy and an obsessive drive that Axl Rose has, which, come June...will be the factor which makes all the difference.

I see your point. It should be an interesting year! :)

I'm definitely a huge VR fan, but after hearing "Come On, Come In" I really hope they grow on the next record (as cliche as it sounds). I really think they're capable of a lot more, seeing as how each members' previous bands were not ones to repeat themselves from album to album. Time will tell.

I'm definitely a huge VR fan, but after hearing "Come On, Come In" I really hope they grow on the next record (as cliche as it sounds). I really think they're capable of a lot more, seeing as how each members' previous bands were not ones to repeat themselves from album to album. Time will tell.

yeah, i wasn't mad about that tune either....i truly hope they spend some time writing the new album, and give us some good tracks from there.

Gonna be awesome getting these 2 albums(and the new AS album)by mid year. Hopefully we'll get CD sometime in March and VR's in June.

But at least with this first album we can expect the heavy focus will be comparing CD to old-GNR...not VR or any other band. Axl chose to keep the name and that is what he is up against and he knows it.

Will be an interesting and a great summer for sure... rock1

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Im not asking which album is gonna be better (i mean this isn't even a matter of opinion, let alone fact considering neither has been released), but rather whats gonna happen say for example if ozzfest comes around, and both VR and GNR are asked to play.

Maybe not ozzfest, but there are many more festivals around the world, the point I make is that theres gonna be some promoter somewhere who is gonna bait them both with huge amounts of money to play the same festival.

Regarding which album is going to be better, cause more of a stir:

Quite honestly, VR I think have established themselves. Not only does VR have the support of just about every Guns N' Roses fan, but they have established their own independent fan base. Theyve really proved themselves to be successfull. Chinese Democracy will have a lot of curiosity factor, but apart from GNR fans who will buy it because its Axl Rose, I dont think it will create much interest apart from the initial hype.

I dont think they will develop their own independant fan base (or in other words, I dont think they will develop a fan base that doesn't like them without knowing or previously liking the old GNR), and the existing GNR fan base is divided. Whilst just about everyone has spoken positively of the leaks, thats nothing short of what you would expect from a bunch of people who dedicate their spare time to posting on a forum for a band with an album thats meant to have been coming out for the last 10 years. Of course we are going to like it. BUT the thing to note, is that not all the news have been positive. I would say that the opinions of shall we say "moderate" GNR fans has been mixed, and the reaction from the general public has been negative (whether its because of the songs, or the pure notion of axl putting together a band to replace GNR).

As for which is coming first, well I have to say that if GNR were any other band then it would probably be a sure thing that GNR would come first, BUT you know, I cant count how many times this record has had a release date (rumoured or not) and been changed so im not gonna bet my house on it coming first.

What the hell makes you so sure that CD will be released anytime soon? Libertad is gonna be months upon months ahead of CD.

The demos for CD aren't that much better than anything on Contraband. The only song I would have taken over what's on Contraband was Better, but after I heard the full version I can't say that anymore. If you cut TWAT in half and threw the first 3 minutes in the trash, I'd probably put that up there too. The Blues is better than anything on Contraband, but that's it.

I guess it all depends on what you want. But I still prefer great guitar playing and melodies just a little more.. I'll always love listening to Axl sing, and I'll always love listening to Slash play guitar, and all I've learned from buying Contraband and listening to the demos is that both need each other.. with all due respect to Scott Weiland he can't sing like Axl and he can't write lyrics like Axl, and he doesn't have a creative mind like Axl. And with all respect to Buckethead, as good of a technical guitarist as he may be, he can't write riffs like Slash does or come up with the type of memorable melodies or solos that Slash has.

So with ALL that being said.. I don't think ChiDem will do all that much better than Libertad, both critcally and in the billboard charts. VR has reached out to a wide array of fans, they've got tons of old GNR fans, tons of old STP fans, and fans who are brand new fans of just the group VR that didn't listen to GNR or STP. Axl is stuck with just the people who are diehard GNR fans, and granted there's curiosity from tons of people in the music industry, but the view of Axl from people outside of the GNR world is less than favorable, that's where all the "GNR isnt GNR without Slash" or "I don't give a fuck about GNR without Slash" stuff comes from, and maybe one of the reasons for the less than spectacular ticket sales for the 2002 tour.