My letter to the editor of the Boston Herald

ace

I think this journalist is OK.

Stop whining.

It's ridiculous.

why are you here? :no: people are naturally going to want to support their favorite bands and artists.

Normal people support their favourite buying the records and attending the concerts, not writing letters to journalists. Plus the Boston Herald didn't insult Axl at all. So what's your problem guys ?

If your favorite band is Guns N' Roses, you can't be under the illusion that this is still Guns N' Roses, it's a different band man. My favorite band is the original Guns N' Roses not new, (I don't even know why people have such an opinion when the only released officially mixed song was Oh My God, which was so sloppily put together) which is the same as many people here as far as I can see. I don't post much, but I don't understand why people bow before axl so much, he has done nothing to deserve the support he gets.

However, that rant is irrelevant. We're talking opinions here, and the way to support your fave band is indeed to buy the CD. You can't tell a critic he is wrong and doesn't do his job properly, if he didn't consider all the things that this letter is saying he should have considered, then he wouldn't be a music critic.

Also, just to be clear, I'm not saying he shouldn't have his opinion heard. But america is famed for every person believing their opinions to be of the utmost importance. Hence when an american sees something on T.V. that they don't like they "write a letter" to the TV station telling them how wrong they were to put that on the air.

In ireland, a newspaper doesn't get letters sent in complaining about opinion, cause opinion is opinion not fact.

There is (and always has been) a line of opinion in the press clearly AGAINST Axl Rose, and that's a fact. Lots of magazines and newspapers have offered that line of thinking thgough all these years, since the guy came and conquered the rock world.

He (as an answer, I guess) started a fight with the song "Get in the ring", wich some of his partners (Izzy, for example) considered ridiculous, with all that names on the song. But the fact is that Rose felt some journalists were lying about things he had said or done. He reacted against lies (paranoid or not), and I find it quite fair.

But in my opinion he's been very quiet since 1994 and now with these demos we already have an opinion from... who? I don't care.

The letter is well written, to me Axl is more than a modern Mozart (and I love Mozart!), the journalist's given his opinion, he has lied because of the omission of some facts (the songs are demos) and his opinion is pure shit to me. I simply don't care. End of story.

Does Axl care??? I don't know. Probably. But try and ask Kurt Loder about these demos. And the most important thing: ask the fans. What's been the response?

I tell you. People going nuts with these demos, people starving for an official announcement, people asking for Guns N' Roses to lead Rock in Rio...

We (the people) are on Axl's side. The Boston Herald doesn't care, and doesn't matter at all.

Good letter, anyway.

Axl? More than a modern Mozart? Don't make me laugh. I'm aware that's your opinion, I respect it, but i think it's ridiculous. Mozart shelled out so much good music in his life, that has survived to this day. If new gn'r survive for 250 years in peoples general listening, I will admit I was wrong.

Edited by I'm Crazy

Here's the email i sent.. i was pissed at the time which didnt help but reading it now.. it will be a miracle if they print it :P

Dear Editor

I refer to the below and question the integrity of a publisher that allows an article like this to be published!

"The Herald heard three of the songs yesterday, and we can tell you they’re not Axl’s best. The new tunes lack the muscle and drive of classic GN’R, the melodies are forgettable and the new industrial/electronica accents sound forced, as if Rose is desperately trying to keep up with the kids."

If this idiot took the time to actually research the very story he was given.. he would have found that the GNR community embraced the tracks and reacted VERY VERY positively. They also appluaded the new direction of Axl's music. Yes this is a new sound for the band but.. did it not occur to this micro brained reporter that this was the intention? Does every album have to sound the same? Axl leaves that job to Bon Jovi! Obviously this person is not interested in providing a critical review but is more interested in feeding his own desire and grabbing his 10 seconds of fame at the expense of Mr Rose.

So in summary i think you understand. A grovelling apology will not be enough to save this idiot as i am sure Mr Rose will have the last laugh when this album that has a "Lack of muscle" combined with "forgettable melodies" is released and goes on to be on of the biggest selling albums of all time. I hope at this point the pathetic journalist in question is relieved of his over used armchair with coffee stains (amoungst others) and told to clean a public lavatory with his tongue as the two have very similar use.

yours truly