Article Trashing GN'R

neon2002

Here is this tools email address, lets crash his email by all emailing him now:

mike.bell@calgarysun.com

Here is the link for the article:

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2006/03/04/1473007.html

Opinion: Making Axl matter again

By MIKE BELL -- Calgary Sun

The job description of publicist has changed a great deal over the past few years.

Back in the day, it merely required you to get your client seen with all of the right people and featured in all of the right magazines.

Or, on the damage control side of things, to issue a statement offering a plausible explanation/excuse on behalf of the client such as "Mr. Arbuckle was merely making a toast when things went horribly awry" or "While Mr. Gere would love to attend your sit-down function, he regrets he will have to decline in order to care for his family pets."

And the worst- case scenario, hammering the teeth out, blowtorching the finger prints and disposing of the body.

These days, though, celebrity, itself, has evolved from merely doing or accomplishing something that is inspiring to others, to accomplishing nothing but presenting to the public the minutia of your life to obsess over, such as getting out of bed, buying a coffee at Starbucks or being totally, unequivocally heterosexual. Really.

Managing that minutia -- planning it, planting it, pimping it or publicly denying it -- is the new job of the publicist.

But how to make a splash for your client -- to get the people to care about your client's flip flops, weight loss or genuine affection (no, seriously) for the opposite sex -- is what sets the Lohan's apart from the ... well, somebody not nearly as trendy, skinny or promiscuous as her.

Actually Lindsay Lohan's person or, more likely people (a team of 23 genetically created individuals working around the clock) are pioneers in the world of PR -- from the feuds to the sluttiness to the familial car-wreck to the lost diary to the anorexia to the "exhaustion" to the car show nipple slip, there is nothing too shameless in their world and for the good of their client.

Which makes it seem likely those same people have now set their skills on the once dormant career of Axl Rose.

Long the punchline to the old rock 'n' roll joke -- "How many jerks does it take to make a mediocre bar band famous and then break up that band when they're really popular and then get new musicians and call them the name of that old band and then take 10 years and an estimated $15 million to record a new album that will probably stink bad?" (I never said it was a good joke) -- Rose now sits on the most anticipated thing since the second coming of Christ (you probably missed it because that day Brangelina was spotted in a mall -- with the kids!!!)

Five songs reportedly from Chinese Democracy (I.R.S., There Was A Time, The Blues, Catcher In the Rye and Better) have already been "leaked" on the Internet and to radio stations, with all of the right reactions from the Rose camp such as cease and desist orders and the proper amount of "outrage" and "shock."

Uh huh. They really, really hate people talking about an album that, as of now, doesn't even have a release date.

Their client has been irrevocably damaged by the release of songs, which, despite sounding as dated and indulgent as the most bloated GNR song at the apex of their crapaciousness, have fuelled anticipation from fans and non-fans alike who acknowledge the blackhole of sucktitude this music represents but still can't wait to hear the rest of it to determine the full extent of its bowel-moving odiferousness.

Even I, after sitting through these songs and feeling the full wave of nausea sear through to the very core of my being, returning lunch back above ground and causing me to question the existence of a kind and merciful creator, even I want to hear the rest of the album.

Now, maybe, maybe these really are leaks.

But more likely it's the diabolical work of people who know what they're doing -- geniuses in the field of publicity.

And if that's the case, then I don't think it's a stretch to predict before the month is over --ladies and gentlemen, I give you Mrs. Lindsay Rose.

May I be the first to toast the bride.

QUICK HITS:

Speaking of publicists, if Scott Stapp leaked his sex video with Kid Rock in order to kickstart his stalling solo career -- as Rock seemed to suggest -- he may want to stop taking advice from Fred Durst ... Is it me, or did Avril Lavigne look and sound fantastic at the Olympics closing ceremony? She done growed up good ... Don't get your hopes up on a Madonna show in Calgary. The only reported Canadian show is a date in T.O. ... Finally, adding insult to injury, Sheryl Crow was apparently getting set to announce a Canadian tour before she had to undergo surgery for breast cancer. Here's wishing her a speedy recovery in hopes we'll see her soon.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whos is this again? Writer, sorry i didn't spot a name...

EDIT: Mike Bell, i should have known? Who are all these no-bodies that seem to love picking on someone they know wont respond...

Edited by mr.b

Long the punchline to the old rock 'n' roll joke -- "How many jerks does it take to make a mediocre bar band famous and then break up that band when they're really popular

This dork lost his credibility there.........he's not worth my time!

Then he gose on to say the new songs are dated......what?? .....what an idiot!

Edited by Funeral

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mr.b @ Mar 5 2006, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

EDIT: Mike Bell, i should have known? Who are all these no-bodies that seem to love picking on someone they know wont respond...

The name is right above your post, in the first post of this thread..... It's not like you have to search thru hundreds of posts... :D

---edit---

oops.. damn it.. you were too fast for me to get my shot at you... :P

Edited by BaDHaBiTt

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mr.b @ Mar 5 2006, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

The name is right above your post, in the first post of this thread..... It's not like you have to search thru hundreds of posts... :D

---edit---

oops.. damn it.. you were too fast for me to get my shot at you... :P

LOL I just flew through it myself, didnt spot any recognisable names. Ya you'll need to sharpen up child... ;)

You people need to stop acting like a bunch of babies. Its a damn article, and the guys opinion, so get over it. :rolleyes:

What is flooding his email going to do? Not a damn thing but make Axl's fans look like a bunch of whiny idiots.

Edited by luvaxl4ever

Sheryl Crow was apparently getting set to announce a Canadian tour before she had to undergo surgery for breast cancer. Here's wishing her a speedy recovery in hopes we'll see her soon.

Yep, he's pretty much a tool.

Oh well.

There will be tools in the world.

I need to stop coming to this board so much. It's taking over my life.

Here is this tools email address, lets crash his email by all emailing him now:

mike.bell@calgarysun.com

Here is the link for the article:

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2006/03/04/1473007.html

Opinion: Making Axl matter again

By MIKE BELL -- Calgary Sun

The job description of publicist has changed a great deal over the past few years.

Back in the day, it merely required you to get your client seen with all of the right people and featured in all of the right magazines.

Or, on the damage control side of things, to issue a statement offering a plausible explanation/excuse on behalf of the client such as "Mr. Arbuckle was merely making a toast when things went horribly awry" or "While Mr. Gere would love to attend your sit-down function, he regrets he will have to decline in order to care for his family pets."

And the worst- case scenario, hammering the teeth out, blowtorching the finger prints and disposing of the body.

These days, though, celebrity, itself, has evolved from merely doing or accomplishing something that is inspiring to others, to accomplishing nothing but presenting to the public the minutia of your life to obsess over, such as getting out of bed, buying a coffee at Starbucks or being totally, unequivocally heterosexual. Really.

Managing that minutia -- planning it, planting it, pimping it or publicly denying it -- is the new job of the publicist.

But how to make a splash for your client -- to get the people to care about your client's flip flops, weight loss or genuine affection (no, seriously) for the opposite sex -- is what sets the Lohan's apart from the ... well, somebody not nearly as trendy, skinny or promiscuous as her.

Actually Lindsay Lohan's person or, more likely people (a team of 23 genetically created individuals working around the clock) are pioneers in the world of PR -- from the feuds to the sluttiness to the familial car-wreck to the lost diary to the anorexia to the "exhaustion" to the car show nipple slip, there is nothing too shameless in their world and for the good of their client.

Which makes it seem likely those same people have now set their skills on the once dormant career of Axl Rose.

Long the punchline to the old rock 'n' roll joke -- "How many jerks does it take to make a mediocre bar band famous and then break up that band when they're really popular and then get new musicians and call them the name of that old band and then take 10 years and an estimated $15 million to record a new album that will probably stink bad?" (I never said it was a good joke) -- Rose now sits on the most anticipated thing since the second coming of Christ (you probably missed it because that day Brangelina was spotted in a mall -- with the kids!!!)

Five songs reportedly from Chinese Democracy (I.R.S., There Was A Time, The Blues, Catcher In the Rye and Better) have already been "leaked" on the Internet and to radio stations, with all of the right reactions from the Rose camp such as cease and desist orders and the proper amount of "outrage" and "shock."

Uh huh. They really, really hate people talking about an album that, as of now, doesn't even have a release date.

Their client has been irrevocably damaged by the release of songs, which, despite sounding as dated and indulgent as the most bloated GNR song at the apex of their crapaciousness, have fuelled anticipation from fans and non-fans alike who acknowledge the blackhole of sucktitude this music represents but still can't wait to hear the rest of it to determine the full extent of its bowel-moving odiferousness.

Even I, after sitting through these songs and feeling the full wave of nausea sear through to the very core of my being, returning lunch back above ground and causing me to question the existence of a kind and merciful creator, even I want to hear the rest of the album.

Now, maybe, maybe these really are leaks.

But more likely it's the diabolical work of people who know what they're doing -- geniuses in the field of publicity.

And if that's the case, then I don't think it's a stretch to predict before the month is over --ladies and gentlemen, I give you Mrs. Lindsay Rose.

May I be the first to toast the bride.

QUICK HITS:

Speaking of publicists, if Scott Stapp leaked his sex video with Kid Rock in order to kickstart his stalling solo career -- as Rock seemed to suggest -- he may want to stop taking advice from Fred Durst ... Is it me, or did Avril Lavigne look and sound fantastic at the Olympics closing ceremony? She done growed up good ... Don't get your hopes up on a Madonna show in Calgary. The only reported Canadian show is a date in T.O. ... Finally, adding insult to injury, Sheryl Crow was apparently getting set to announce a Canadian tour before she had to undergo surgery for breast cancer. Here's wishing her a speedy recovery in hopes we'll see her soon.

My response:

Isn't it weird how onto the low classed no name writers who realy don't listen to enough real music to maake a difference and follow the bullsh*t perception of "pop" are the only ones taking shots at Axl Rose? I'm going to put this on my list of popular things.

"being a punk rocker"

"being emo"

"taking shots at george bush"

"taking shots at axl rose"

"not noticing that no matter how much you defend it,pop music is still characterized by how much of a slut britney spears is"

You people need to stop acting like a bunch of babies. Its a damn article, and the guys opinion, so get over it. :rolleyes:

What is flooding his email going to do? Not a damn thing but make Axl's fans look like a bunch of whiny idiots.

:lol: No shit. This is nothing to get your feathers ruffled up about

I was just about to say the same thing myself. Guys, you're gonna read lots of GNR bashing articles soon so get used to it.

a mediocre bar band

You could tell from here that there was no hope of him saying anything good about the current carnation of GNR.

Monty

All these people slagging axl off, saying he isn't worth a toss.

Yet they can't stop writing articles about him. Tossers.

Theyre ok printing the crap about him though. Its a shame that they have to rely on patetic stuff like that to sell stories.

for a mediocre bar band they managed to stay in the billboard charts for over 100 weeks and sell 2.79 million copies of their greatest hits. Best bar band I ever heard of.

There is no need to attack the guy though, he's entitled to his opinion, I hate shitty put together boy bands (and crap reporters).

Edited by jacquiat

So when you gonna stop whining about others opinions then, hypocrite? :xmasschef2:

You calling me a ni**er is not an opinion.

And this thread isn't about me, so if you have a problem, use the PM system.

Edited by luvaxl4ever