Can GN'R once again save rock?

Les Paul Slinger

I was just wondering how many of you out there think that Chinese Democracy will have the same effect that Appetite for Destruction had on rock more then 15 years ago? If you think about it, so-called rock today is going in a similiar direction that it was in the late 80's. Now I know, today's bands aren't sporting spandex or buying Aqua-Net in bulk, but to me the music is drifting aimlessly, bands have no today have no sunstance, no soul. Name one band today since Nirvana (whom makes me cringe)well maybe Velvet Revolver, that will stand the test of time, like Zeppeling, The Stones, GN'R, or Metallica? I think and pray that Axl and GN'R will step up and and reshake the whole world like they did so many years ago.

Velvet Revolver is the BEST rock has to offer right now. rock1

strange i'm sure that in bands that stand the test of time Iron Maiden should be up there somewhere

and anyway we could could have like a rock revolution this year

Chinese Democracy :D

New Iron Maiden album :xmasssanta:

Blaze Album and DVD :D

Bruce Dickinson DVD :heart:

it just gets better

2006 is the new 1986

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it just gets better

2006 is the new 1986

Yeah it´s gonna be a cool year! But don´t forget the following releases too:

* Peeping Tom (the new Mike Patton project, also LOOOOOONGtime-awaited)

* Pearl Jam

* Tool

And hopefull Danzig will release his "Black Aria 2" before this years ends! :P

:wub:

Edited by Lukin

The idea that GNR "saved" rock n' roll in the 1980s is also up to debate. While I love the line in Blender's article on the top 50 Rawk bands (too lazy to look it up, went like: "Nirvana and grunge didn't kill the hair bands, Guns N' Roses did"), I still think that it was Nirvana and Pearl Jam that really brought on a shift in pop culture. GNR was seen far above their peers (Warrant, Poison, Motley Crue) and rightfully so; but did they do anything musically that had never been done before? Not really... They were just able to write some bad ass blues-based hard rock songs that had melodies as addictive as what Steven Adler's been using to kill "the pain." That doesn't mean they're not my favourite band (they are), but I think it's a little naive to reference GNR as the saviours of Rock N' Roll. Don't forget that at the time there were still other bands making huge waves in pop/rock at the time. U2 had released "Joshua Tree," Aerosmith was back on tour, Metallica was at the top of its game all in the late 80s.

That said, GNR brought an attitude and some danger that had been missed since the late 70s. They were real, raw and completely unforgettable as soon as you heard the openning riff of Welcome to the Jungle. They made a definite impact and helped keep rock's legacy alive. And I think that's where Axl and current company have their best chance of making another impact. What's needed in music today is catchy songs that people can get into. You can dislike the bands, but Coldplay, the Killers, and even James Blunt have done extremely well writing simple but catchy songs. I'm not suggesting that this is where GNR needs to go, but if they can recapture what they once did with songs like Sweet Child and Paradise City, they'll do very well. Will they save rock n' roll; I personally don't think it needs saving. There's plenty of other bands who are doing amazing stuff out there. It's not like it's the bottom of the 9th, two outs, bases loaded and Axl's up to the plate needing a grand slam to bring back some lost glory of what rock once was. There will always be great rock bands out there, it's just whether the music industry wants to promote them.

And to those who think that Axl's going to be the force that he once was back in the late 80s/early 90s, it's time to be realistic. Back then Axl was a young 26-30 hellraiser, he gave something to the kids (myself at the time) to listen to and tell their parents to fuck off. You're not going to have the same 13-18 year olds listening to a man who's as old as their parents wanting to rebel alongside their parents. But hey, that's just my take. I hope Axl proves me wrong 'cause it would be awesome to see.

You make a very good point, There were very good bands like whom you mentioned that made very good albums the same time GN'R camei into play, I guess I'm going in the direction that in that period of time, the biggest music to hit the world was that from the Sunset Strip (The LA scene was huge at that point). And the bands that roamed the strip were trying everything to be noticed for finacial gains or whatever and not really focusing on the music, until gn'r came into play, then everyone tried playing catchup. Of courses its just my opinion.

And when VR came to my state in Aug 2005, tickets were sold out within an hour. I saw them live, and it was the best concert I've seen in my life. The whole crew was nomore then 5 ft from me, and it was unbelieveable. But I must admit the whole time I tried picturing that Axl was leading the way on stage, but Scott is no slouch.

I was just wondering how many of you out there think that Chinese Democracy will have the same effect that Appetite for Destruction had on rock more then 15 years ago? If you think about it, so-called rock today is going in a similiar direction that it was in the late 80's. Now I know, today's bands aren't sporting spandex or buying Aqua-Net in bulk, but to me the music is drifting aimlessly, bands have no today have no sunstance, no soul. Name one band today since Nirvana (whom makes me cringe)well maybe Velvet Revolver, that will stand the test of time, like Zeppeling, The Stones, GN'R, or Metallica? I think and pray that Axl and GN'R will step up and and reshake the whole world like they did so many years ago.

Velvet Revolver is the BEST rock has to offer right now. rock1

strange i'm sure that in bands that stand the test of time Iron Maiden should be up there somewhere

it just gets better

2006 is the new 1986

Iron Maiden goes w/o saying

it just gets better

2006 is the new 1986

Yeah it´s gonna be a cool year! But don´t forget the following releases too:

* Peeping Tom (the new Mike Patton project, also LOOOOOONGtime-awaited)

* Pearl Jam

* Tool

And hopefull Danzig will release his "Black Aria 2" before this years ends! :P

:wub:

NEW AUDIOSLAVE,DUH

Guns will FINALLY come out with Chinese Democracy and then we'll have three great bands to root for: Guns N' Fuckin Roses, Motley Crue, and Metalica.

Velvet Revolver can come along to as long as Scott can keep his mouth shut.

Crash Diet, Bring It Back Home, Sentimental Movie, Just Another Sunday, It Tastes Good, Don't It?, Jumping Jack Flash, and Heartbreak Hotel need to be on the Chinese Democracy album.

Yeah that's right,

Clyde and Cranston

Guns will FINALLY come out with Chinese Democracy and then we'll have three great bands to root for: Guns N' Fuckin Roses, Motley Crue, and Metalica.

Crash Diet, Bring It Back Home, Sentimental Movie, Just Another Sunday, It Tastes Good, Don't It?, Jumping Jack Flash, and Heartbreak Hotel need to be on the Chinese Democracy album.

Yeah that's right,

Clyde and Cranston

apparently, you're a new fan.

all those songs are from the Illusion era.

:rofl-lol:

Well, Velvet Revolver canselled part of their tour last summer, including their gig in Norway.(wich Matt Sorum promised to a norwegian newspaper would never happend with this serious band in 2004.)there was not a riot, no, maybe because most people diddnt care...

really? i bet they cancelled the gig b4 everyone had arrived at the show and purchased t-shirts, programs, burgers, beers etc etc? come on use your brain

no axls band can't save rock, as they dont play rock n roll

Yeah that's right,

Clyde and Cranston

a new fan and an idiot, as motley crue are just plain shit, and metallica sold out when they released the 'black' album

Well, Velvet Revolver canselled part of their tour last summer, including their gig in Norway.(wich Matt Sorum promised to a norwegian newspaper would never happend with this serious band in 2004.)there was not a riot, no, maybe because most people diddnt care...

really? i bet they cancelled the gig b4 everyone had arrived at the show and purchased t-shirts, programs, burgers, beers etc etc? come on use your brain

no axls band can't save rock, as they dont play rock n roll

Yeah that's right,

Clyde and Cranston

a new fan and an idiot, as motley crue are just plain shit, and metallica sold out when they released the 'black' album

I think they sold their artistic souls to the devil with the Black album. It was good, but afterwards, Lucifer slowly drained their abilities away. Notice there were a few good songs on Load, maybe one on Reload, then they realized they sucked and tried to do covers and redo their old good stuff to sqeeze out a bit more money (though Napster tried to get in the way of that ;) ) and then there was St. Anger. Pee-eww

Too early to tell. If he wants to change the face of Rock N' Roll once again, hes going to need a great lineup to back him up. Sorry, but the current lineup is far less than great, it just is. But thats only my speculation, we'll have to wait and see.