DVD burning question

Guest JohnUlmer

Guest JohnUlmer

Okay, let's say I download an .avi/DivX file online. Is it possible to burn it to a playable DVD without having to purchase a DVD Burner?

Also, I downloaded a file in foreign language and also downloaded a .sub file for the film. How do I add the .sub file to the file itself?

Guest JohnUlmer
If you didn't have a DVD burner, then what would you use to write the data to the DVD? :monkey:

You need a DVD burner to burn DVDs, playable, data, whatever kind.

I've burned GN'R concerts in MPEG format before to CDRs as data files and they've played on my DVD player just as regular DVDs do. I burned RIR 3 to a CDR and I can play it on my home DVD player and on the DVD player unit in my kitchen. I'm just wondering if .avi files would be the same, and how I can get the .sub files on them first?

Edited by JohnUlmer

If you didn't have a DVD burner, then what would you use to write the data to the DVD? :monkey:

I've burned GN'R concerts in MPEG format before to CDRs as data files and they've played on my DVD player. :drevil: It's just mainly I'm concerned about how to get the .sub files on there and if they'd still play after I add them, I guess.

Ok, burning to a CD makes a VCD, not a DVD - two different things.

As for .sub files, i'm assuming that some sort of subtitle file? If so, they're not supported by VCDs.

Guest JohnUlmer

I've burned GN'R concerts in MPEG format before to CDRs as data files and they've played on my DVD player. :drevil: It's just mainly I'm concerned about how to get the .sub files on there and if they'd still play after I add them, I guess.

Ok, burning to a CD makes a VCD, not a DVD - two different things.

As for .sub files, i'm assuming that some sort of subtitle file? If so, they're not supported by VCDs.

Yeah, .sub is short for subtitle. Bummer they're not supported by VCD. I guess I need to buy a DVD burner. <_<:lol: Thanks for the help, I'm clueless with this stuff. :no: