DVD PLAYER HELP NEEDED

New Rose

I just today installed my new DVD burner to my computer. My Philips DVD player plays DVD-R discs, which is good because I have two of those.

Now I'd like to know, when I download movies, what form should it be so that I can just burn it to the disc and it plays on my DVD player? I dont want to change the filetype or anything, just want to burn it, pop it in and enjoy. I dont know shit about these kinds of things, so any help would be much appreciated.

Here are the features:

PRODUCT FEATURES: RGB on Scart: Easy connectivity for high quality video; Digital Zoom: Advanced high resolution digital zoom for extreme close ups; 3D Sound: Virtual surround sound via 2-speaker output; Digital Audio Output (PCM/MPEG 2/Dolby Digital/DTS); Multi format playability: Plays DVD-Video, DVD+RW, DVD+R, CD, CD-R, CD-RW, MP3-CD, VCD, S-VCD and Picture CD (JPEG) format; Picture CD Playback: View digital pictures on TV; Smart power off: For maximum energy saving; Disc Lock: For controlled viewing; Disc Resume: 5 disc bookmark.

Thanks!

It doesn't really matter what format you use, as long as it is compatible with your DVD authoring software. The only format that I really don't use is Real Media. I don't think programs like Nero or Roxio will encode DVD video from Real Media.

It doesn't really matter what format you use, as long as it is compatible with your DVD authoring software. The only format that I really don't use is Real Media. I don't think programs like Nero or Roxio will encode DVD video from Real Media.

Well it do matter. Mpeg 3 and Mpeg 4 are better quality then regular Mpeg 1 ,Mpeg 2 or Avi. You only can do this by converting your regular Mpeg file to Mpeg 3 or 4.

Well it do matter. Mpeg 3 and Mpeg 4 are better quality then regular Mpeg 1 ,Mpeg 2 or Avi. You only can do this by converting your regular Mpeg file to Mpeg 3 or 4.

@droezle: Your post is complete nonsense:

1. Mpeg 3 doesn't actually exist as a video codec (Mpeg 3 is integrated in Mpeg2) mp3 is only an audio codec

2. You can't really say that a format is better than another, the format choice depends on your requirements for the movie (e.g. filesize vs. quality)

3. Converting a movie from mpeg1 to mpeg2 or mpeg 4 won't improve the quality of the file

Actually a recode usually decreases the quality

@New Rose: santana is right, disadvantage is recoding (if needed) takes some time

easiest way would be if your dvd player supports divx/xvid or nero digital 'cause you can burn them on cd/dvd without recoding and i think most of the movies you can download are .avi (divx or xvid)

:P

Thanks to coma2k and santana! I'm downloading the movies as the best quality I can get, so we'll see if I' will download avis and so on, as I need subtitles too because my mom doesnt understand english so good :P

But thank you!

So????

MPEG2 MPEG4 Converter Encoder - An extremely easy to use video and audio formats converter. The software makes the process of converting so many formats a breeze by automating all the tasks and giving you the best quality.

Converting to MPEG-4 isn't going to increase your quality. If you have a bad quality MPEG-1, and convert it to MPEG-4, you're going to end up with a low quality MPEG-4.

what I usually do is make VCDs of the movies/clips I've downloaded. That's on a regular CD-R.

What can I do for a bigger .avi or .mpg file?

say if it's 1GB or something.

What can I use to burn it onto a DVD-R and be able to watch it? because my DVD player won't just play data DVDs

what I usually do is make VCDs of the movies/clips I've downloaded. That's on a regular CD-R.

What can I use to burn it onto a DVD-R and be able to watch it? because my DVD player won't just play data DVDs

You need a program to author the DVD. Authoring takes your video files and encodes them to DVD video. After you author, then you can burn a movie. Programs like Nero and Roxio will let you do that. What program do you use for VCD's? You should be able to use that for DVD's.

You need a program to author the DVD. Authoring takes your video files and encodes them to DVD video. After you author, then you can burn a movie. Programs like Nero and Roxio will let you do that. What program do you use for VCD's? You should be able to use that for DVD's.

yeah I use Nero to make VCDs, but I haven't found a way to encode my vids to DVD with it.