Former GNR manger speaks! Axl wrote most of

usjc001

Why would this come out now?

Sounds like he has a problem with Scott Weiland:)

http://www.metalsludge.tv/home/index.php?o...=1222&Itemid=42

I MANAGED GUNS N' ROSES FROM 1986 TO 1991, AND IN SO DOING, OVERSAW THE PRE-PRODUCTION OF 'APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION', 'LIES' AND 'USE YOUR ILLUSIONS'.

I WAS ALSO PRESENT AT SEVERAL REHEARSALS DURING THE FORMATION OF VELVET REVOLVER AND I HAVE SEEN THEM PERFORM 'LIVE'. [i PASSED ON AN INVITATION TO MANAGE THE BAND, PRIOR TO THE EMPLOYMENT OF SCOTT WEILLAND, FOR PERSONAL REASONS].

CATEGORICALLY, SLASH IS UTTERLY ACCURATE - MR WEILLAND IS, IN MY PERSONAL OPINION, A CLUELESS POSTURING FRAUD, OF NO PARTICULAR OR OBVIOUS ABILITIES, INCLUDING, AND MOST APPARENTLY, COMPOSITION. THE BAND IS A THOROUGH WASTE OF A TRULY GREAT GUITAR PLAYER AND TERRIFIC RHYTHM SECTION. [THEIR OUTPUT HAS BEEN ENTIRELY FORGETTABLE AND ONE DIMENSIONAL].

AS FOR MR ROSE, I HAVE NO DOUBT HE IS STILL GENUINELY AND PROFOUNDLY GIFTED, AND IT IS SELF EVIDENT THAT HE HAS PROVIDED MORE INSIGHT AND MEMORABILITY IN A SINGLE LINE OF COMPOSITION THAN MR WEILLAND HAS MANAGED IN AN ENTIRE CAREER.

FOR THE RECORD, MR ROSE WROTE THE MAJORITY OF THE MELODIES AND LYRICS ON THE GUNS RECORDS, WHICH INCLUDE THE BEST SELLING ROCK DEBUT OF OUR TIMES, WITH 16,000,000 SOLD IN THE UNITED STATES ALONE.

HE SHARED THE SPOTLIGHT WITH INDIVIDUALS WHOSE EXCELLENCE IS REFLECTED IN SUCH SALES FIGURES.

WHAT MIGHT NOT BE UNDERSTOOD IS THAT HE, AND THE OTHER BAND COMPOSERS, EMPLOYED A COURTESY SHARING OF SO CALLED MECHANICAL INCOME - GRACE AND JUDGEMENT IN ACTION.

MR WEILLAND, OF COURSE, EXHIBITS NEITHER GRACE NOR JUDGEMENT IN HIS DELUSIONAL UTTERANCES, AND IN MY VIEW, NO DISCERNABLE TALENT EITHER.

I HAVE HELD THIS OPINION FROM THOSE VERY FIRST REHEARSALS, AND CONSIDER HIM BETTER EMPLOYED BY HIS FORMER BAND, WHERE HE COULD TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THEIR COMPOSING ABILITIES ONCE MORE.

PERHAPS THEN WE COULD ALL GET DOWN TO THE VERY SERIOUS, AND BIG, BUSINESS OF REFORMING THE GREATEST, AND MOST RELEVANT, ROCK BAND, [DISPENSING WITH THE COURT SPATS THAT SUCK THE JUICE OUT OF LIFE ITSELF], FOR THE DELIGHT OF MILLIONS OF FANS, A MULTITUDE OF WHICH, THE SECOND AND THIRD GENERATION OF ADMIRERS, HAVE NEVER HAD THE CHANCE TO SEE FLORAL ARTILLERY IN LIVING MAGNIFICENCE.

THE INDUSTRY COULD CERTAINLY USE A SHOT OF GENUINELY TALENTED FIREPOWER.

SINCERELY

ALAN NIVEN

Edited by usjc001

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why now? Because Axl & Weiland had their statements recently, this is obviously Niven's opinion on the situation, if it is really him writing it. I agree though, I thought when VR was formed, that the main song writer in STP was R. DeLeo, and Axl was the main one in GNR, so I didn't expect much from VR, and I was correct.

Edited by JEEP11

These Gung Ho statements are all very well. but after the first rush of adrenaline of a reunion the doubt starts to set in. What kind of record would they make? Are they sure they would live up to the past? For all the fans that want to see it there are a whole load of people who would want to ridicule it. And if the band is divided in anyway it will tear it apart again? So why did they split in the first place?

It's been too long. And the fans would be elated and completely confused.

Without Izzy a reunion would be pointless. It would still be hollow victory. It would look like Axl needs Slash. Having Slash the guitar player coming in to do solos on a few CD tracks - that would be cool. Have Axl do a song with Izzy under the umbrella of GNR. Maybe do some tracks for CD with the old band. Do it slowly. Do it secretly. Don't blaze headlines across the internet about how they have reformed. Finesse it!!!!

People would buy into the honesty that Axl has worked with loads of talented people over the last decade and some of them have been Slash and co. And here's the 3 disc set that came from that period. That would work. But breaking up VR and GNR and reforming in some last ditch attempt is just too desperate.

If you're really Alan Niven, which I seriously doubt, tell me I'm fucking wrong!!!!

It's not about the praticalities of a working band. A reunion would be about getting the old band back together. The chemistry of that band. That's what Alan Niven was saying. Izzy may have been lazy but alot of his influence is embedded in GNR. Talking about AFD era - Izzy was Hanoi rocks meets Aerosmith.

Drafting in Slash only doesn't get that chemistry back together. It's half assed.

Brownstone

Dust N Bones

Bad Obsession

Think About You

Bad Apples

14 Years

All very Izzy. A reunion without Izzy is pointless. We sort of know Duff and Matt will follow Slash. So Izzy is key to getting back together. To be honest you even need Adler to make the whole thing really mean something in terms of a reunion.

First....Izzy fuckin rocks...he's the man...period.

Second...wow Alan Niven just bitchslapped Scott Weiland. That whole statement is surprising. He's been super critical of Axl in the past and rightfully so but this brings up many other questions.

1. It seems more and more likely that Slash did indeed visit Axl's house and berate his band members. Alan just assumes Slash said it and Duff neither confirmed or denied that Slash said anything, however his statement subtly hints that Slash may have indeed said something. Why? What is going on in the band that made Slash act like this? They have professional success and a grammy. What is affecting the band?

2. On an unrelated note, why wouldn't Alan Niven want to manage the ex gunners?

3. Is scott becoming a diva? If so, it seems atleast on the surface that he has Duff's support....

Aside from that, I'm with Niven, bring on the fuckin reunion. Millions of fans all over the world love the original lineup of this band. After Chinese Democracy runs its course, bring back Alan and Mike Clink to a newly reunited guns n roses, and turn out a final ambitious record for the fans.

2. On an unrelated note, why wouldn't Alan Niven want to manage the ex gunners?

My theory is, he wanted to manage them, and might even have been under consideration (since he was present at rehearsals), but when they went with someone else he got pissed off and now wants to kiss Axl's ass. Hell, maybe the ex-Gunners were in favor of hiring him but Scott was against it, for whatever reason.