Greatest Rock Vocalists?

Sportyboy

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's take a glance at the topic title and talk about vocalists instead of frontmen, is this just another way to go out of your way to praise Axl or what?

Layne Staley was the most powerful rock vocalist ever, I never really liked Cornell so much (since they are always weighed against eachother). Freddie Mercury could do some things vocally that few others could.

I would say the greatest was Jeff Buckley however, or atleast he's the most gifted vocalist you could classify as "rock".

I always thought Cornell was over rated he seemed very generic american rock to me, Staley is good not denying it but I'm happy with my list,

while its true that all of my singers are great front men thats not why I like them, its purely for the voice, i don't equate a good singer with the ability to hit high notes alone, range isn't everything,

character is, philo didn't have range but he did have a distinctive dublin accent which came through brillantly in his work,

similarly Slash is better then buckethead though bucket is faster (this is not meant as a jab I like both), slash plays with more attitude and balls

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789
Axl Rose IS the best vocalist and frontman in history. There are other peolpe too like Mick Jagger and Rob Halford who have great voices, but none can compare.

Wrong you are says I.

Axl Rose IS the best vocalist and frontman in history. There are other peolpe too like Mick Jagger and Rob Halford who have great voices, but none can compare.

Wrong you are says I.

And wrong you are says I. Talking like yoda we are now?

The name of this topic is vocalist not frontman.(neither of which is axl the best of all time. Hes good but not that good.)

If we went purely off the name of this thread I would have to say(no order):

Steven Tyler

Paul McCartney

Bono

Mercury

Bowie

Plant

I never really liked Cornell so much

Why not? (not a loaded question - I know you're a singer, so I'm just interested)

I listen to Badmotorfinger and sometimes wonder if he's human. His singing in songs like Slaves & Bulldozers and Room A Thousand Years Wide is insane. My lungs hurt just listening to them.

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789
I never really liked Cornell so much

Why not? (not a loaded question - I know you're a singer, so I'm just interested)

I listen to Badmotorfinger and sometimes wonder if he's human. His singing in songs like Slaves & Bulldozers and Room A Thousand Years Wide is insane. My lungs hurt just listening to them.

You know, I don't really have a good reason, I guess you could just call it stylistic preference. The man is amazing, and I really mean it. "Black Hole Sun" being a medium ballad and all, doesn't seem like it would be so challenging, but I can barely sing it. I never liked Soundgarden as much as most (particularly alot of my friends here on the forum), I have always preferred AIC (and Layne) very much. I can't really relate to Cornell's voice, and because of that I can't really tell you why I don't love it either. I'm very picky about vocalists and how they can help me in my art, and I never saw Cornell as being a possible addition to my "vocal palette" if you will. After having my whole affair with them I really don't like Audioslave either, which must help it. Maybe he's too far from being a Blues singer for me, but that may be a stretch.

I really don't know.

You know, I don't really have a good reason, I guess you could just call it stylistic preference. The man is amazing, and I really mean it. "Black Hole Sun" being a medium ballad and all, doesn't seem like it would be so challenging, but I can barely sing it. I never liked Soundgarden as much as most (particularly alot of my friends here on the forum), I have always preferred AIC (and Layne) very much. I can't really relate to Cornell's voice, and because of that I can't really tell you why I don't love it either. I'm very picky about vocalists and how they can help me in my art, and I never saw Cornell as being a possible addition to my "vocal palette" if you will. After having my whole affair with them I really don't like Audioslave either, which must help it. Maybe he's too far from being a Blues singer for me, but that may be a stretch.

Fair enough. I figured it was probably just a personal preference.

Have you heard much of his work from Temple of the Dog or Euphoria Morning? Might be closer to your tastes?

1.Freddy Mercury (Queen)

2.Elvis Presley (Solo)

3.Axl Rose (Guns N Roses)

4.Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin)

5.Steven Tyler (Aerosmith)

6.Mick Jagger (Rolling Stones)

7.James Hetfield (Metallica)

8.Eddie Veddar ( Pearl Jam)

9.Jim Morrison (The Doors)

10.Bon/Brian (AC/DC)

11.Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails)