GLOBEN, STOCKHOLM - 26/6/06

DV_007

Being only 20 years of age, but a fairly long-time gnr fan, I never had the opportunity to attend a GnR concert with the "old" guys. After seeing numerous bootlegs of the 2002-era, watching a older axl trying to cope with his own material while pulling of something supposingly looking like his old dancemoves. Helium-voiced with no sign of that wonderful rasp, in embarrasing outfits, and backed by miscalleneous freaks. Although I loved some of the new material, nothing was close to the young axl you'd see running around like crazy in the bootlegs that I got my hands on. This made me sad for a long time, I felt I had missed out on the last oppurtunity to see the last real rockstar perform as he once could. After the last fiasko I thought I wouldn't even get to see the shadow of the man he once was. I had never gotten asked if I knew where the fuck I was...I had never gotten to sing that I'm knocking on heavens door among 10's of thousands of people, and I was never brought down to paradise city..

When it all suddenly happened this spring, and I got my hands on the floortickets to see them live at the globe arena in stockholm, my place of birth, I was in extacy, altough still not too shure it would last all the way to sweden.

After waiting and waiting, and getting through 2 very boring opening acts (they're not helped by the fact that everyone's anticipating guns n roses), I was finally standing there , just waiting to hear those first echoing notes of welcome to the jungle soon to be followed by what was going to be an indication of the quality of the entire concert -Axl Rose's voice.

They're sheduled to start at 10...Myself I'm expecting to wait at least an hour extra...hey it's a long way to sweden... But then it goes dark...WTF???they're EARLY?? and the guitar starts...and my eyes have just adjusted to the darkness so I can make out Axl fucking rose standing there right in front of me...I can see him standing there in the dark....with my own eyes...

And there it is -"Do you know where the fuck you are????" cutting through the noise of 13 000 people as high and good as ever.... The following 2 and a half hours is just pure magic. I cannot see the slightest resemblence to what I've seen from the earlier fiasko with axl's new line-up. It's really axl, in a great mood, laughing and jokin, pulling of the highest notes effortlessly, at 40+ making the young opening acts look like amateurs. Axl was really back...no stupid out of time dancemoves...not out of breath, not mad at anything...with a great band.

My dream finally came through...I got to see the last rockstar, perform the way he should, the way he could, with the audience he deserved...because the audience was truly magnificent...

Although the funniest part of the show must have been dizzy reed's piano solo where he pulls of ABBA and 13 000 Swedes are trying to figure out the lyrics to a song by the Biggest product of the swedish musical wonder.

I leave the concert fully satisfied, immediately thinking about driving to denmark to see him again...

When I see the first review the next day, I'm not very surprised...but still dissapointed. 2/5...because the guy obviously couldn't accept the fact that Slash left 10 years ago....would the concert have been called "rose plays guns" he would have given it 5/5 undoubtedly...For anyone that was there cannot deny that they got to see what great rock once was, and hopefully will be reborn as, with the greatest rockstar alive...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review there aidlook! :)

Du kan posta den i stockholms-delen i "past concerts" om du vill okcså, området för vår Sverige-konsert! =)

Det verkar behövas recensioner där ;)

Edited by DV_007

What a fun show it was - tremendous energy!

I've put up 22 photo's on my website killtoknow.org ...here's a sample from "You could be mine" :)

19.jpg

Are you a professional photographer?

Were those pics taken with a professional camera?

They're fantastic.

Thanks, ya'll - I'm really happy to hear you like my pictures. :) No, I'm not a professional photographer, but I have done some freelance work. I use a Canon Powershot G5 which is not a pro-camera, but it's slightly better than the smallest point-and-shoot cameras.

I just love bringing my camera to shows I go to and I go to shows somewhat often (considering I live in Sweden), as you can see from my website, so I get a bit of practice, which helps. I'm very proud of these pictures though, especially since I was right in the middle of the crowd by the stage so it was pretty tricky, but fun, haha.

What a fun show it was - tremendous energy!

I've put up 22 photo's on my website killtoknow.org ...here's a sample from "You could be mine" :)

19.jpg

They're fantastic.

Thanks, ya'll - I'm really happy to hear you like my pictures. :) No, I'm not a professional photographer, but I have done some freelance work. I use a Canon Powershot G5 which is not a pro-camera, but it's slightly better than the smallest point-and-shoot cameras.

I just love bringing my camera to shows I go to and I go to shows somewhat often (considering I live in Sweden), as you can see from my website, so I get a bit of practice, which helps. I'm very proud of these pictures though, especially since I was right in the middle of the crowd by the stage so it was pretty tricky, but fun, haha.

What settings did you use for shutter, aperture e.t.c??

LIZ

They're fantastic.

What settings did you use for shutter, aperture e.t.c??

Hi! I'll send you a PM. :)