Why am I so addicted to GN'R?

Guest JohnUlmer

Guest JohnUlmer

I used to think it was just the sound I liked - Slash's bluesy-guitar and Axl's amazing vocals - but the 2002 tour wasn't that great and Axl's vocals didn't sound much the same, yet I still get the same musical "high" from listening to the new songs. Even the bad ones.

I don't know what it is, but I just realized it's perhaps Axl himself that I partly connect with. He's a compelling guy - complex and difficult, a modern Howard Hughes, and I relate to him in a lot of ways and I think maybe the power he puts into his songs - the emotion - is part of what makes even the newer, lesser material so compelling. Even when his voice isn't at its best there's something about his singing that translates very well through the music.

I haven't stopped listening to the demos since they leaked, I listen to TWAT and Better and I.R.S. usually every day, even though overall I'd say a good portion of the older songs are better.

For a while all I listened to was Oh My God. Then I got The Blues and all I listened to was that song over and over...I listened to Oh My God again the other day and didn't like it nearly as much as I used to, and The Blues - while still superb - doesn't catch my interest as much anymore.

I'll probably stop listening to TWAT once the album comes out and even better songs are on it.

It's weird, because a few years back I would have said it was just the music of the band itself, but they don't sound very similar today (it's more techno and all) yet I still have the same obsession with GN'R in general.

:unsure:

I used to think it was just the sound I liked - Slash's bluesy-guitar and Axl's amazing vocals - but the 2002 tour wasn't that great and Axl's vocals didn't sound much the same, yet I still get the same musical "high" from listening to the new songs. Even the bad ones.

I don't know what it is, but I just realized it's perhaps Axl himself that I partly connect with. He's a compelling guy - complex and difficult, a modern Howard Hughes, and I relate to him in a lot of ways and I think maybe the power he puts into his songs - the emotion - is part of what makes even the newer, lesser material so compelling. Even when his voice isn't at its best there's something about his singing that translates very well through the music.

I haven't stopped listening to the demos since they leaked, I listen to TWAT and Better and I.R.S. usually every day, even though overall I'd say a good portion of the older songs are better.

For a while all I listened to was Oh My God. Then I got The Blues and all I listened to was that song over and over...I listened to Oh My God again the other day and didn't like it nearly as much as I used to, and The Blues - while still superb - doesn't catch my interest as much anymore.

I'll probably stop listening to TWAT once the album comes out and even better songs are on it.

It's weird, because a few years back I would have said it was just the music of the band itself, but they don't sound very similar today (it's more techno and all) yet I still have the same obsession with GN'R in general.

:unsure:

I think we all feel the same way (to different extents). As much as I am not (yet) a fan of the current lineup, I can't wait for CD to be released. I'm anxious to hear it. I hope that GnR (even if it's NuGnR) comes to Atlanta or Nashville...I would go see them to see what they are all about.

Axl's voice alone is one of those, that if you don't like it , it will probably drive you nuts -

If you do like it, it's the coolest fucking voice to come along in Rock music history -

That being said, there's obviously some emotional shit going on in his songs that connect with you - period

Don't try to over-analyze it, just enjoy the ride..............................They're back baby

Axl's voice alone is one of those, that if you don't like it , it will probably drive you nuts -

If you do like it, it's the coolest fucking voice to come along in Rock music history -

Amen rock3

I feel proud I can count myself as one of those that like his voice, the ones that don't are missing out big time in my opinion!

anyway, if it's not the voice, there's certainly something that draws you to this band.. i can't tell what exactly that is but between fans we can say we all know deep inside what it is even if we can't put it into words..

Amen rock3

I feel proud I can count myself as one of those that like his voice, the ones that don't are missing out big time in my opinion!

anyway, if it's not the voice, there's certainly something that draws you to this band.. i can't tell what exactly that is but between fans we can say we all know deep inside what it is even if we can't put it into words..

yeah i agree, it's everything from slashs playing, to axl's voice, i loved that bluesy sound they had going!, all there music was different ....yet still sounded gnr!, thats what kept them fresh!.

I am so addicted to gnr because of Axl Rose, for me its his looks ( he drives me crazy) and then his voice, and just the VIBE he puts off..and of course because hes a bad boy and good girls love them bad boys! :wub:

wow...you know,I was just thinking about this shit today!

I was wondering...would there be THIS BIG a buzz going on right now...if GnR consisted of solely of...let's say,Duff and Izzy,with some new members?...and no AXL?

I have to be honest and say,I don't think so.

Axl was/is the defining factor that draws me to GnR.He (and his fucking phenominal live performance) is why I am heading to NYC to see the May 17th show.

I have to admit...'91 Guns solidified me as a fan...the reason being,it was the first time I saw them live.

They played in Toronto,outdoors at the C.N.E.

I've seen a LOT of concerts in my day...but up to that point I had never experienced the raw energy that was surging through that place.The crowd ROARED...the entire time,they banged on their seats or anything they could...it was just continual.At one point Axl stopped and just listened to it...he commented along the lines of "I like the sound of that...".

The cool thing was...it REALLY fired the band up,and as a result I witnessed one of the most amazing live shows I have ever seen...it was truly rock and roll at its best.GnR played for almost 3 hours!

Use Your Illusion wasn't out yet...we knew NONE of the new songs (except maybe You Could Be Mine).I remember when they played November Rain,everyone looked at each other with this.."holy shit!...that song is going to be HUGE!" look on their faces.

But...back to the topic at hand...it was AXL that I really connected with...he was untouchable,the quintessential front man.He just grabbed the rock and roll crown and dared anyone to take it!

He whipped that crowd into an amazing frenzy and I loved every insane second of it.

The power of that show lead me all the way to Wembley Stadium a few months later to witness it all again.

Both of the above shows were with Izzy still in the band and it was cool to see him!

I travelled around to take in the Metallica/Guns tour a couple of times.

Saw them in '93 when things were getting a bit bloated (leatherclad horn players and shit)...but still,it was amazing!

I waited and watched...and found myself wholeheartedly backing Axl and the new line up in '02 (secretly wishing it was the '91 line up,but THRILLED to see Axl back in action)...I was fortunate enough to see that tour twice...and yet again,AXL fucking blew me away.I don't care what anyone says about '02...I thought it fuckin rocked!

**fade to black**

waiting...hoping

checking the boards....listening to the leaks...finding myself drifting back in to the fold.

and THEN...word of the Hammerstein shows filtered through...I didn't hesitate for a second...I KNEW I had to be there!

why?

one reason...

the topic of this thread...AXL fucking ROSE...one of the greatest frontmen I have ever seen live.

I can't wait for this...it is going to be astounding!

and now...I think I'm going to dig out my video bootleg of that first GnR show I saw in '91 and give it a watch!

hell yeah!

Edited by zint61

I listen to the leaks almost every day at work, along with the older stuff and when I listen to GnR, it puts me in a great mood, I'm always happy when listening to them, singing along to the songs. And while I listen to the leaks, I think about how close we are to having the album being released and the tour and the warm up gigs coming up, it gets me all excited and pumped up for it. Just typing this is making me excited.

Guest JohnUlmer
I listen to the leaks almost every day at work, along with the older stuff and when I listen to GnR, it puts me in a great mood, I'm always happy when listening to them, singing along to the songs. And while I listen to the leaks, I think about how close we are to having the album being released and the tour and the warm up gigs coming up, it gets me all excited and pumped up for it. Just typing this is making me excited.

TWO MORE DAYS, SUCKA!!!

Did that get you excited, too? :)

I share your enthusiasm.

This week has flown by, I'm very pleased.

We're practically at Thursday already...

...then Friday! rock3

I work a job where I'll be working 12 straight days. I'm going to the show Monday, and it's helping me get through the week. I also can't wait to check this site Friday night to get an update on everything that took place during the first show - That is helping me pull through as well -

wow...you know,I was just thinking about this shit today!

I was wondering...would there be THIS BIG a buzz going on right now...if GnR consisted of solely of...let's say,Duff and Izzy,with some new members?...and no AXL?

I have to be honest and say,I don't think so.

Axl was/is the defining factor that draws me to GnR.He (and his fucking phenominal live performance) is why I am heading to NYC to see the May 17th show.

I have to admit...'91 Guns solidified me as a fan...the reason being,it was the first time I saw them live.

They played in Toronto,outdoors at the C.N.E.

I've seen a LOT of concerts in my day...but up to that point I had never experienced the raw energy that was surging through that place.The crowd ROARED...the entire time,they banged on their seats or anything they could...it was just continual.At one point Axl stopped and just listened to it...he commented along the lines of "I like the sound of that...".

The cool thing was...it REALLY fired the band up,and as a result I witnessed one of the most amazing live shows I have ever seen...it was truly rock and roll at its best.GnR played for almost 3 hours!

Use Your Illusion wasn't out yet...we knew NONE of the new songs (except maybe You Could Be Mine).I remember when they played November Rain,everyone looked at each other with this.."holy shit!...that song is going to be HUGE!" look on their faces.

But...back to the topic at hand...it was AXL that I really connected with...he was untouchable,the quintessential front man.He just grabbed the rock and roll crown and dared anyone to take it!

He whipped that crowd into an amazing frenzy and I loved every insane second of it.

The power of that show lead me all the way to Wembley Stadium a few months later to witness it all again.

Both of the above shows were with Izzy still in the band and it was cool to see him!

I travelled around to take in the Metallica/Guns tour a couple of times.

Saw them in '93 when things were getting a bit bloated (leatherclad horn players and shit)...but still,it was amazing!

I waited and watched...and found myself wholeheartedly backing Axl and the new line up in '02 (secretly wishing it was the '91 line up,but THRILLED to see Axl back in action)...I was fortunate enough to see that tour twice...and yet again,AXL fucking blew me away.I don't care what anyone says about '02...I thought it fuckin rocked!

**fade to black**

waiting...hoping

checking the boards....listening to the leaks...finding myself drifting back in to the fold.

and THEN...word of the Hammerstein shows filtered through...I didn't hesitate for a second...I KNEW I had to be there!

why?

one reason...

the topic of this thread...AXL fucking ROSE...one of the greatest frontmen I have ever seen live.

I can't wait for this...it is going to be astounding!

and now...I think I'm going to dig out my video bootleg of that first GnR show I saw in '91 and give it a watch!

hell yeah!

bless you!! those words came from a truth loyal GNR fan.

Back on topic, im addicted to GNR cuz its a lifestyle for me, part of my philosophy of life is inspired on GNR, attitute, how to react to things, how to GET OVER things.

Its simply, when i first heard GNR 8 years ago i felt a connection, a connection i never felt with another group or another person. Everytime i fuckin listen GNR im just ok. i dont need anything else. I feel that after all the madness of the day my sanity is back when i hear GNR.

Music is Life and Life is Music.

i feel lucky i found guns n fuckin roses, when i feel lost and i feel no one cant help me, or make me feel right again...this fuckin band finds me a space and help me, to make it through.

GNR are a band that just click with you in more ways than just the music. The entire package really. I love GNR and they have helped me through some very very tough times and for that I will always have a special connection to Guns N' Fucking Roses.

Back in the early 90's when November Rain came out, I was going through a rather bleak and hopeless situation. I listened to that song over and over. At first, it made me cry and realize what had happened, but after a while, it got me through the pain and sadness. This is why November Rain will always be my favorite song of all time, and certainly my favorite Guns song. Yesterdays helped a lot too.

It's because of the way the music makes people feel

i mean when i heard welcome to the jungle that was it i was hooked i love everysingle song they have released

lol i remember my mom telling me a story about when Patience was out when the video would come on i would imitate Axl

i was like 3

but when he would start 2 swing side 2 side i would get on my knees because I can't walk and I would start 2 do the same hahaha

but i would have 2 say the song that I love the most would have 2 be dont damn me

But i was born a GNR fan and I will die a GNR fan

GNR has a song for every emotion, and not to mention the fact AXL and SLASH are the best combo in the history of music ever, period. I'm actually gonna go to bed now cuz i had a little to much to drink, and i'm not drunk anymore, just tired. Also, i recently got a GNR tattoo, its the orginal logo with color and everything, pretty sweet. just gotta have my brother show me how to get the picture online. I know u guys dont care, but i think its fuckin cool, so its all good. plus i'm 19, so a lot of ppl my age dont listen to gnr, they like that hip hop shit (from milwaukee, USA) so its kinda original. hip hop is cool and all i just dont prefer it, i like straight up rock n roll, something in my brain just loves that shit. anyway, i'm gonna be on a trip until SUNDAY, which means i wont be able to read the forum right after the concerts in NY, so its gonna be awesome to come back and see who the new guy is and shit. GNR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AINT IT FUN!?!!?!?!?!?!

Guns N' Roses is more that a band for me, its a fucking lifestyle. When first heard WTTJ i said what the fuck is this, i never heard such fucking bliss before in music, I mean just from that intro, there was a connection a bond or something and i was hooked. Slash is also the reason i started playing guitar and also started smoking and also doing drugs.

I have never been to a GNR concert before because im only 19, but i did enjoy being part of the riot in Vancouver and destroying the shit out of GM Place along with other GNR headbangers.

GNR is a fucking lifestyle, i mean the attitude and everything. Also i love being part of a fucking subculture of headbangers where everyone has their own band and party together, back each other up in fights, its like a big family. I know u dudes probably disagree, but everyone i know who is a GNR headbanger is fucking volatile and a tough ass and thats what GNR means in some way being a toughass and badass and resisting authority and beating people up if u hate them. (just joking, but when a lot of GNR headbangers are bikers and punks, u have to show them up and be like they are, so u dont loose respect-at least thats how it is up here)

I have always said Axl Rose is one of those rare people that anything he touches (musically) will turn to gold, and I stand by that statement.

AS much as I love old GNR, I REALLY dont want a reunion right now, I want to hear CD and hopefully the album(s) that follow. I truely believe just based on these demos that the music he has been working on for all these years is truely something amazing.

God I hope this album gets released, it will be a damned shame if it doesnt.