Why am I so addicted to GN'R?

Guest JohnUlmer

I used to think it was just the sound I liked - Slash's bluesy-guitar and Axl's amazing vocals - but the 2002 tour wasn't that great and Axl's vocals didn't sound much the same, yet I still get the same musical "high" from listening to the new songs. Even the bad ones.

I don't know what it is, but I just realized it's perhaps Axl himself that I partly connect with. He's a compelling guy - complex and difficult, a modern Howard Hughes, and I relate to him in a lot of ways and I think maybe the power he puts into his songs - the emotion - is part of what makes even the newer, lesser material so compelling. Even when his voice isn't at its best there's something about his singing that translates very well through the music.

I haven't stopped listening to the demos since they leaked, I listen to TWAT and Better and I.R.S. usually every day, even though overall I'd say a good portion of the older songs are better.

For a while all I listened to was Oh My God. Then I got The Blues and all I listened to was that song over and over...I listened to Oh My God again the other day and didn't like it nearly as much as I used to, and The Blues - while still superb - doesn't catch my interest as much anymore.

I'll probably stop listening to TWAT once the album comes out and even better songs are on it.

It's weird, because a few years back I would have said it was just the music of the band itself, but they don't sound very similar today (it's more techno and all) yet I still have the same obsession with GN'R in general.

:unsure:

I was watching TV last night and there was a documentary which concluded that emotions of negitivity and sorrow and fear are dominant to ones of happiness. Basically meaning that there are more ways to feel bad than there are good. I think that because of this people who are more interested in understanding themselves are concious of this and the result of this is that they are little more pessimistic. To me GnR music has always been emotional in one way or another and throughout the whole catalogue there is a song for most emotions. As Axl is Bi-polar and obviously a very emotional and sensitive person and writes most of the lyrics I guess this is were this is where us fans meet with the GnR phenomena.

Edited by coeus2k

I used to think it was just the sound I liked - Slash's bluesy-guitar and Axl's amazing vocals - but the 2002 tour wasn't that great and Axl's vocals didn't sound much the same, yet I still get the same musical "high" from listening to the new songs. Even the bad ones.

I don't know what it is, but I just realized it's perhaps Axl himself that I partly connect with. He's a compelling guy - complex and difficult, a modern Howard Hughes, and I relate to him in a lot of ways and I think maybe the power he puts into his songs - the emotion - is part of what makes even the newer, lesser material so compelling. Even when his voice isn't at its best there's something about his singing that translates very well through the music.

I haven't stopped listening to the demos since they leaked, I listen to TWAT and Better and I.R.S. usually every day, even though overall I'd say a good portion of the older songs are better.

For a while all I listened to was Oh My God. Then I got The Blues and all I listened to was that song over and over...I listened to Oh My God again the other day and didn't like it nearly as much as I used to, and The Blues - while still superb - doesn't catch my interest as much anymore.

I'll probably stop listening to TWAT once the album comes out and even better songs are on it.

It's weird, because a few years back I would have said it was just the music of the band itself, but they don't sound very similar today (it's more techno and all) yet I still have the same obsession with GN'R in general.

:unsure:

good post! i totally relate, gnr is and always has been addictive, though i've always known the reason, the aura of axl rose ;)

I´m addicted to GNR because that´s the healthiest drug rock3

Once you go GNR you want more and more... :heart:

tell me about it. i heard PC in a mates garage and so i bought GH now i own all the albums and i've spent about £900 on GNR merch

Let me say a little more. I keep on coming back to my GN'R addiction. When I first became a fan, there was NOTHING else I listened to, then I got obsessed with another band, while listening to GN'R still at least every day. This happened to me with UB40 about two years ago, Buckcherry around 2003, Izzy's solo stuff last year, and now I'm going through a Red Hot Chili Peppers phase.

It's not gonna last long, if we get audio files from tomorrow's concert, that's all I'll listen to for a while.

I love GN'R in away i can't express, i cant stop talking about them, listening to them, and quoting them. Iknow sick little facts about them.. I really can't express how much this band means to me.

The feeling i get while listening to their music, aspecially November Rain and Estranged, i can't describe.