Steve Vai 21.6 "The Riddle"

John Petrucci 21.3 "Endless Sacrifice"

Paul Gilbert 20.5 "Snakebite"

Chris Impelliteri 20.1 "Race Into Light"

Frank Gambale 19.3 "6.8 Shaker"

Yngwie Malmsteen 18.6 "Blitzkrieg"

John Petrucci 18 "Ytse Jam"

You were near enough quad :shades:

thal hits 32 on that "real" tune, which ties him for 3rd. (that CD is fucking awesome)

where's malmsteen for 28? he had the record forever. i think becker should be up there too.

note for everyone- only alt. picking counts.

Heres the sticky thread if you want more info:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226296

And now, for the odd ones -

Allan Holdsworth - 37nps

Satch has hit 32nps live, on flying in a blue dream!

Paus 44.6nps.

Al DiMeola's NPS on Mediterranean Sundance on the Friday Night In San Francisco album - hits a 5th of a second run at 25.2nps...on an acoustic .

The last three you can ignore or discount as they arent consistent speeds, and paus is too controversial.

Not the fastest, but worth a mention so the newbs dont ask...

Yngwie on blitzkreig (32nds at 140) - 18.6 alt picked.

Take time to notice, that everything above cooley is a one-off fluke or is two handed tapping. And cooley can hold that speed.

And finally - francesco fareri and shawn lane are both missing from this. This is because i dont have any DEFINATE information on them.

Reputably, shawn lane - 28nps. Fareri, almost definately 20nps on suspension.

Edited by GNR'R

Who's this Paus guy? I know he has the record but I can't find much about him.

I've heard many things, for example:

He has a nerve problem which makes him pick that fast (if that is true, then it is cheating :krider: )

He uses an E-Z-Chord slide

A lot of the notes are feedback

It has been speeded up digitaly (notice how high the notes are?)

I mean think about how ridiculous the speed is, it seems impossible. Plus we have heard nothing about it before, it just seems very unlikely.

My2222222222222222222222Centsssssss

Edited by GNR'R

Cool, I messaged him and he got back to me in less than a day!

Date: 24 May 2006 20:21 Flag spam/abuse. [ ? ]

Subject: RE: Hey, one question

Body: Hi Anthony!

No, it's not sped up... It could be a nerve-thing, although I was never officially diagnosed with anything of the kind. If memory serves, it was probably a mostly alternate- or semi-alternate picked passage, but I really don't remember all too clearly. This was over 10 years ago, and a lot has happened since then.

As far as how I got that fast, I guess all I can say is: I practiced constantly! And I kept aurally imagining passages of great rapidity, and anything we can imagine, we will tend to achieve.

I'm daunted by the fact that these modest achievements still attract attention. It is a little strange to be greeted by such "ghosts", but they are pleasant ones, for sure, and I have fond memories of my guitar-playing days.

Hope this was somewhat helpful.

Best wishes,

Marcus

----------------- Original Message -----------------

Date: May 24, 2006 2:49 PM

I'm assuming it was you that played on Caspersen's Secret Fetish when you were 16 (that's what I heard). How did you play so fast? Some people are saying it's a nerve thing or that it is actually sped up. It seems pretty incredible. Could you clear this up for me?

Thankyou

Cool, I messaged him and he got back to me in less than a day!

Date: 24 May 2006 20:21 Flag spam/abuse. [ ? ]

Subject: RE: Hey, one question

Body: Hi Anthony!

No, it's not sped up... It could be a nerve-thing, although I was never officially diagnosed with anything of the kind. If memory serves, it was probably a mostly alternate- or semi-alternate picked passage, but I really don't remember all too clearly. This was over 10 years ago, and a lot has happened since then.

As far as how I got that fast, I guess all I can say is: I practiced constantly! And I kept aurally imagining passages of great rapidity, and anything we can imagine, we will tend to achieve.

I'm daunted by the fact that these modest achievements still attract attention. It is a little strange to be greeted by such "ghosts", but they are pleasant ones, for sure, and I have fond memories of my guitar-playing days.

Hope this was somewhat helpful.

Best wishes,

Marcus

----------------- Original Message -----------------

Date: May 24, 2006 2:49 PM

I'm assuming it was you that played on Caspersen's Secret Fetish when you were 16 (that's what I heard). How did you play so fast? Some people are saying it's a nerve thing or that it is actually sped up. It seems pretty incredible. Could you clear this up for me?

Thankyou

awesome, thanks for that. it's a shame he doesn't still play, he'd probably be able to light the damn guitar on fire w/ his fingers by now (literally).

Don't believe that, where is Bucket:?

Bucket is nothing.

Well, he is, so boo you.

No, Bucket is nothing. What a shame it is that he just used GN'R for the little publicity he has now.

Im sure half the regulars in the musicians section have played in front of what is an average crowd for a buckethead show