how did you get into gnr

Marky

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

About 5 years ago I was listening to WKIT here in Maine... They were doing a "night" themed rock show... You'd call in a nd request a song with night in the title... all the songs had sucked and i was about to go to bed, Some guy request nightrain. So i was like well ill see if i like this and then sleep (thinking the radio would be off in 30 seconds). Great intro, so i was like well this is the best so far... 4 mins later I thought wow. That song did not suck.

But Guns N' Roses? They are bad are they not? (thinking of the negative press i had heard about them... So i started to download tracks... ahhh the days when copyrighted material was stored on websites... I remeber hearing KOHD and thinking the 2 singer thing... every track I heard i liked, I was sure id hear some "filler" (didnt know that term at that point) eventually but i never did. Remember hearing NR and loving it immeditaley. So finally i got all the albums, and loved them ever since, didnt really get into it until right after the 2002 tour, thought fuck... they were right in Boston... I made up for it at the NYC shows this year though :D

Edit: but no seriously, I heard this clip called Checkmate and have loved them ever since.

Edited by BBruin66

I was in eighth grade, this was back in 1987. WTTJ was not a hit single yet. I rode to school every day with my best friend in his brown '77 camaro. He played this brand new band Guns N Roses which he only liked because they swore so much. A few days later, his parents had taken his tape and made a copy of it but they hit pause on the blank tape each time Axl swore. That really sucked! I remember driving out to a cabin in the woods to fish and listening to Lies when it was brand new. The Illusions sessions were released during my first semester in college. I worked at the college radio station and remember how epic it all seemed (I remember spinning the vinyl... each release was a double album set!) Ironically, I lost touch with the band from 96 to 99 and was very surprised to hear them on Big Daddy with Robin, Paul, Tommy and Josh... I've been paying close attention since then.

13 years old, my friend hada copy, we listened, i loved it, she turned into a chav, i turned into a gnr obsessive.

god damn it girl! what's a chav! you and all your tardy hard talk <_<

is it like a prep :huh: ???/priss/stupidphaggggtagmofo?

anyway, first song I heard was 14 Years! was on the radio all the time when I was a little kid :) around 5 years to be exact, anyway, I think I went krazy after I fell on my head when I was 3 riding my tricycle :tongue2: acctually happened lol, got stitches as a young'n!! THATS HOW HARD CORE I AM BICHEHHHZZ!

anyway point being I was young, started really getting into it around 10/11 ;) my tapes are destroyed by now tho :(

I have seen so many posts about Headbangers Ball, haha. I actually have VHS tapes of most of the shows from mid 1988-1990, that is how diehard I was at the time. Too bad I don't have a working player anymore or I would watch them for old times sake!

Anywho, my Dad took me to a tape store cause I wanted to buy the new Aerosmith tape at the time which was Permanent Vacation and he asked me if I wanted anything else, and AFD was sitting right next to it and I had heard SCOM on the radio so I took that too. Well, it was all over there!!!! Shortly after I was able to score tickets for 2 of my friends and I to see them actually open for Aerosmith at Giants Stadium where they filmed portions of Paradise City-I was 13 and this was my 1st concert with my friends!

I went totally diehard after that and wore out at least 5 tapes of AFD before that nifty new invention the CD became the mainstream!

18 years later and I am still here, have seen them live now about 6 times I think over the years including 2 Hammerstein Shows, the 2002 MSG show, and a few others and hopefully a million more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! rock2

for me it was back in '88-'89 (when i was 9 years old) when my gib brother had bought an import version of AFD and that was it, i was so into it that hed had to buy me one too :) Since then i have been a die hard fan of gnr and will always be one! There is no other band that has stayed on top of my list so far, many have come and many have gone but gnr has stayed from the beginning. So yeah, i have been a fan for almost 20 years!

I was 11. Winter 1998. I'd sneak MTV late at night, and there was "Welcome to the Jungle." I was so enthralled. i remember seeing the world premiere of SCOM on MTV, scraping together every last cent of allowance to buy AFD and a cross T-shirt and begging my family to let me see them live. Got the cassette and T-shirt, didn't get the concert for a number of years. :P

Edited by stella