how did you get into gnr

Marky

first song I heard was november rain.....long time ago.my dad used to play that song a loooot,together with kohd.then 2 years ago my friends were into gnr and I was interested what is that group all about so I did little internet search...first live gnr video I ever saw was rir3 sweet child o' mine....when I look that video today,I get chills...still remember how was I waiting every second of that video to load and watch it again,second longer...and watch it over again for 3535060086 times.my favourite scom version.maybe its sounds stupid coz there are billion times better versions of that song back in the day (80's,90's) but this one has special meaning to me.it was the beggining(sp?)...my first video I saw was ''since I dont have you'' of paradise city...cant remember which...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had just turned 14 (1987) and was riding with some friends in this chick's car. her name was Sylvia and she hung out with all the stoner, band dudes. i fell in that category. she was always playing stuff like Metallica and Slayer, anything that went against the mainstream (Crue, Ratt, etc.) well she had the Live Like A Suicide cassette and was playing for us. i remembered that in Metal Edge magazine there was a small "metal on the rise" type article on them. the first song was obviously "Reckless Life". we listened to it and everybody dug it, except me. the only song i liked was "Mama Kin". then a few month later on Z-Rock i heard WTTJ and loved it, then i went and bought Live Live A Suicide on vinyl and about a month later AFD came out and i got it. i've loved 'em ever since.

Well, I started listening to G'N'R back in '92 when I was 10. I used to watch MTV summer beach house( I think that is what it is called) and they used to play November Rain alot on there. I loved when Slash got on top of the piano at the end of the video. That was when I was like, wow this stuff is great, I couldn't stop my head from banging! Great times. I really didn't start buying all of the Guns records until '94 though, but they have been my favorite band since then.

I got Live Like A Suicide when it came out and then Appetite. I was big into the bands of that time, but GNR were definately different to the typical Ratt, Poison type bands. Loved em ever since. I still have LLAS on vinyl in the basement. Classic shit and worth a lot too.

I was goin' with a friend to the next city for a get togetherparty , and he put GNr gretest Hits on his car stereo , i got hooked , i went next day and bought it , next weekend all the other Albums !!

Guest roses_are_red

i was 5 or 6 years old, when i first heard GNR version of 'Knocking On Heavens Door'. Well then i heard SCOM a few years ago.

I can 'blame' my brother for getting me into GNR.He has always been a fan. But not long ago he told me some things about the songs ( like what mr brownstone ment :rolleyes: ),he was talkin about some new shows from yr 2001 etc and then i realised it was the GNR he was talking about and the old members are in VR and only axl is in the band. He told me about Buckethead. I eventually became a fan because all of this.

Now i already know more than him.

So it took me about 10 years from discovering the band to become a fan. :)

Edited by roses_are_red

my dad was watching videos and i was in my room when all of the sudden came November Rain

i listened for a while until I went to the living room n saw the video

the ballad n bits of lyrics i understood jus stuck w/ me until a couple years later i found out it was GN'R

i was struck by the song i nver asked my dad who sang it (yep im an idoit) :P

Had heard WTTJ and SCOM before but was never a big fan. Then I saw a Vh1 behind the music special on Guns n roses. Just from that i could tellt they had great music. started listening to their music and the I seemed to like every song. Now their my favorite band. that was like october 2005. Went to my first GNR concert on May 15th in New York and it fucking rocked.

rock on bitches rock3

I felt like I've always heard it. My mom said that she put the music close to her stomach when she was pregnant with me,and she would always play it when I was a baby. When I grew up and could actually start thinking, I loved GnR. At 10 I started looking up axl rose, and at 14 i joined this. I dont really know what was the first song i ever heard.

Was about 16 when AFD hit. I remember liking SCOM, but I wasn't really into Rock at that point. Plus everyone seemed to like em' so I guess I was daring to be different. Then a few years later, some TWAT

ripped my fucking heart out and shit on it. I kinda got into a depressed state, could'nt focus on anything, school, family etc. I was listening to all sorts of different music just to get me through at that point.

Sweet Child came on the radio and something inside of me woke up. I was in absolute awe. I could'nt believe how I connected with that song. I immediately ran over to a friend's and demanded his Appetite tape. I must have listened to SCOM 20 times that day, and then got heavy into that album and heavy into Rock, in general. A few months later rumours of a new GNR album was surfacing and I could'nt wait.

When the Illusions hit, I threw myself into those two albums like nothing I've ever heard before. I knew during those days that GNR were my group untill the day I die.

i rememeber like it was yesterday when i first heard them. I was like 3 or 4 years old (so either 93 or 94) and i was at my cuz's house and we were watching terminator2 and i heard You Could Be Mine and i was like in love with that song. When i got a copy of T2, when i was done watching the movie, id fast forward through the credits a little just so i could hear that song. Then the dark ages hit me, i got into hanson when i was 6 and backstreet boys by about 7 or 8. Then my friend got me into rap (real slim shady on b96) and i became a wigger. Well thank god i grew out of rap and i was kind of lost. I started listening to rock and i was watching the VMAs and guns n roses came on (the year is 02 by now) and they came on. I heard the name but really never knew i heard them before and i liked the sound of them but hated axls voice. I then fast fowarded to the end of the credits and found out it was indeed Guns n Roses. So i did a search and downloaded every song by guns i could. Thanks p2p cause then my computer crashed. Later that summer tho, i was visiting my aunt in minnosata and she asked if i wanted a cd so i said yea and picked up Guns N Roses AFD and LOVED IT. I listened to that cd at least a thousand times (ok maybe not that many times) but i listened to it alot. That school year i walked home a couple times and picked up UYI 1 then 2. Listened to them nonstop. Somewhere in there i picked up Lies and even loved that cd. Then picked up TSI, didnt like that one to much. Still to this day though AFD is the only cd i can listen to from beginning to end without skipping a song.

Since I'm pretty young for a Guns fan (1 year old when Illusions came out), I was subjected to horrible pop music for the majority of my childhood. (nysnc, backstreet boys).

But one fateful day while I was watching TV, I saw the GTA San Andreas commercial with WTTJ and I was just like "oh shit" rock3 . So I downloaded a few songs, and liked them a bit. But what really sealed the deal was whenever I won some free music off of bottle caps and got Illusions 1, which completely blew my mind away.

Guns definetly saved my life from shitty pop music and rap.

My best friend really got me into them. I was at his house hangin out and listening to the radio when and Welcome To The Jungle came on, he told me they were Guns N' Roses, his favorite band. I thought it was the coolest song ever so I started buying their albums and... thats it.

the first song I heard was Paradise City... I was about 10-11 years old, I liked it but I called Guns N' Roses "the Paradise City band" in those times, then my friend gave me for my 12 year old birthday my very first Guns N' Roses album, I had no idea what this was and I wasn't really excited about that album. I had heard something about Welcome to the Jungle but never the song, I looked on the back of the album ans was there was Welcome to the Jungle as track 1 and I said: so this is the band that made Welcome to the Jungle... gotta listen to it sometime, then I looked at more songs and what did I see there? Paradise City and I just thought, Oh, my god this is the Paradise City band and I listened to the album and have never stopped since.

once you listen to 'em, you'll never stop the listening

In 1987, my brother gave me a cassette tape of "Appetite", I listened to it on a family trip and have been hooked ever since. When I first heard "Its so Easy", I thought this band had 2 lead singers(ie:Axl's low voice, high voice).

I heard Welcome to the Jungle on The Simpsons when Marge's neighbor put the wrong side of her tape in the stereo, and it played Sunshine and Lollipops, and then she flipped the tape over, and played Welcome to the Jungle.

For years, I looked for Sunshine and Lollipops by Guns N Roses, and no, they did not do that song.

In 1987, my brother gave me a cassette tape of "Appetite", I listened to it on a family trip and have been hooked ever since. When I first heard "Its so Easy", I thought this band had 2 lead singers(ie:Axl's low voice, high voice).

I thought the same thing with Knockin On Heavens Door during the chorus.